MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Marlins won the WS when their owner bought a shitload of players. After the win , they got rid of everyone. In Detroit, he won but he had Illich's open checkbook, and had an open checkbook with the Red Sox. If JR was a spender, I think he would be fine, and that is not a knock at DD because some guys can't win no matter how much you let them spend. I think the guy would struggle with a tight budget, depending on prospect development.

I agree, but tight budgeted teams shouldn't sign him. Teams that can sign big contracts and reload on the fly will be okay. We spend lesser amounts of money and our signings over the past decade have mostly been a waste of money. You still have to get the job done based on what you are given to work with. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

I agree, but tight budgeted teams shouldn't sign him. Teams that can sign big contracts and reload on the fly will be okay. We spend lesser amounts of money and our signings over the past decade have mostly been a waste of money. You still have to get the job done based on what you are given to work with. 

Of course the Sox have spent poorly. $13 million for Alonso and Jay in a season you had no intention of winning. Could have saved that money and spent it, I don't know, this year? And that is just one example of the stupid signings they make year after year. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It will always end ugly with DD. His philosophy seems to be prospects are for trading. So you wind up with a roster full of bloated contracts and not much on the farm. But I do think the Phillies will get some good years from him.

Not the good ones.

I'd take Dombrowski's free agency record over, for example, Theo Epsteins.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

It will always end ugly with DD. His philosophy seems to be prospects are for trading. But I do think the Phillies will get some good years from him.

DD always wins wherever he goes. He is never afraid to jump into the deep end of the pool.  Just one of those guys who you know will be fired when the money runs out.

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

But when he leaves...the organization has aging veterans with salaries that hamstring the club for years to come.  Miquel Cabrera's contract is an example.  Whenever we talk about giving guys 10-year contracts I get really nervous.  

Yeah - but he also leaves with a streak of playoff appearances, maybe some rings and some world series appearances.  The guy flat out wins and it isn't like he hasn't been capable of building up good farm systems. He had a nice farm system back in his Expos days, Marlins the same, and Detroit had did a bit of both.  

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Yeah - but he also leaves with a streak of playoff appearances, maybe some rings and some world series appearances.  The guy flat out wins and it isn't like he hasn't been capable of building up good farm systems. He had a nice farm system back in his Expos days, Marlins the same, and Detroit had did a bit of both.  

His greatest success has come from ownerships with open wallets.  Philly will be interesting since the money has already been spent.  

8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

His greatest success has come from ownerships with open wallets.  Philly will be interesting since the money has already been spent.  

Unless they are over the luxury tax the money has not been spent. 

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

He’s perfect for the Phillies. You know that they need to win already. Probably at the point that they are willing to go all in and trade every prospect for a playoff berth.

It's really a great fit.  It's easy making a bad team good but it's very difficult making a good team great.  Dombrowski has a long history of making good teams great.  I think that trend continues in Philly.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah.  Getting to the playoffs and World Series sucks.  I mean, your farm system ranking is way more important.  

Such a weird take. Dave didn't build a single thing in Boston. Instead he left them where they are today. 

Anyone can potentially win if they're handed a loaded roster and pretend like the only year that matters is next year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to think chris sale was good when he traded for him. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

It will always end ugly with DD. His philosophy seems to be prospects are for trading. So you wind up with a roster full of bloated contracts and not much on the farm. But I do think the Phillies will get some good years from him.

Similar to Theo's exit from the Cubs? Whenever a team has success they have to pay their players, they get old and it comes to an end. The key is can you at least win in the good years.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Such a weird take. Dave didn't build a single thing in Boston. Instead he left them where they are today. 

Anyone can potentially win if they're handed a loaded roster and pretend like the only year that matters is next year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to think chris sale was good when he traded for him. 

They had division championships and a WS win while he was GM. 

6 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Similar to Theo's exit from the Cubs? Whenever a team has success they have to pay their players, they get old and it comes to an end. The key is can you at least win in the good years.

This is not at all what Dave does. Theo literally builds rosters. Dave assumed a loaded team and assured they had only one chance to win.

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Lol the red Sox just had to trade mookie betts because of the choices Dave made. Again, he didn't build a thing in Boston. 

Again, he won multiple division titles and a world series as well acquired players like Betts. If a GM does his job right, players and payrolls do become expensive because that means they are good.

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Its like hiring someone to build your home, and after its done you install a new door and then everyone starts telling the world that you built the home. Thats dave.

Except this builder in question did build the home and won many awards for it.

edit: I take that back. If I remember right its the exact opposite of what you are saying. He built the team won division championships then fired him near the end of the season when they won the world series. So they won with the team he built but they fired him a couple of months prior to winning it.

Edited by ptatc

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Again, he won multiple division titles and a world series as well acquired players like Betts. If a GM does his job right, players and payrolls do become expensive because that means they are good.

Dave dombrowski acquired mookie betts? Wuhhhht? 

No, he didn't. You are badly misremebering db's time in Boston.

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Except this builder in question did build the home and won many awards for it.

edit: I take that back. If I remember right its the exact opposite of what you are saying. He built the team won division championships then fired him near the end of the season when they won the world series. So they won with the team he built but they fired him a couple of months prior to winning it.

Your memory needs some work as everything you're typing is wrong,