MLB Winter Meetings Thread

Orlando

1 minute ago, bmags said:

That's not what he said, he said the league told teams to proceed as if it won't happen. Just a matter of league and players union continuing their horrible negotiations.

In other words, NL owners don't want to pay for an additional position player this year; which is the word coming from NL baseball people, that there will be no DH next year. Slash, slash, slash....

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's not what he said, he said the league told teams to proceed as if it won't happen. Just a matter of league and players union continuing their horrible negotiations.

But if that’s how NL teams are operating, then it should push more players to the AL (Cruz)

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Most of JBJ's career he's been a black hole offensively. Isn't that what we're trying to solve? His typical season outside of the 3 outliers or so are a bit better than Mazara this year. 

3 is not an outlier, thats a pattern.

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

2020 is the only year in the last four he hasn't been absolute dogshit at the plate. 

He's been ok against Righties in his career (average). If you use Engel/Leury against LHP starters, what you are banking on isn't insane offense (though it could happen), it's he would be an insane RF.

I don't know that that is a bad idea. I'd prefer joc because he also should be pretty good in RF, it has graded out as his best position in OAA the last several years.

But I'm ok sacrificing getting plus offense in RF if it means great defense, and I think Joc should be good next year but it may not happen

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Not Sox related, but the Reds making moves

Iglesias could be a nice buy-low...but he's been awful and the reds have plenty of support to turn around pitchers. I don't blame them for not wanting to pay arb for an underperforming closer, where they will make too much.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's been ok against Righties in his career (average). If you use Engel/Leury against LHP starters, what you are banking on isn't insane offense (though it could happen), it's he would be an insane RF.

I don't know that that is a bad idea. I'd prefer joc because he also should be pretty good in RF, it has graded out as his best position in OAA the last several years.

But I'm ok sacrificing getting plus offense in RF if it means great defense, and I think Joc should be good next year but it may not happen

Could you imagine the confusion if JBJ were the RF and Brantley were the LF/DH? Woof. It's already annoying. 

I think JBJ ends up somewhere where he can play CF and everyday though. 

Joc, Brantley, Quintana, Richards and Colome or another closer sounds like a decent offseason. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Iglesias could be a nice buy-low...but he's been awful and the reds have plenty of support to turn around pitchers. I don't blame them for not wanting to pay arb for an underperforming closer, where they will make too much.

Iglesias was great last year. Reds might as well blow it up.

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It’s gotta be Joc, right?

You would think, but at this point who knows if they shock the world and sign Ozuna or Brantley.  We’ve all kind of glossed over the Brantley tidbit by Passan. 

Edited by fathom

7 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It’s gotta be Joc, right?

Yep and if he's right I'm glad they are trying to finalize the deal now rather than get slow played and burned again. Just get it done so we can move on to other positions (SP) with some cost certainty as to what has been used up vs what is left budget wise