Passan: Springer to White Sox not happening

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m more surprised that he says Brantley is an option 

thats what i took from it, honestly I know the playing time is up in the air but I wouldn't mind the Sox signing both Joc and Brantley to rotate RF/DH/Spot Start LF. Gives Vaughn ample time to not be rushed into producing

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Before they hired LaRussa I thought they were going to run Mazara back out there. This Springer or Bauer or the off season is a failure narrative is bizzarre.  

The failure is artificially limiting what your team is capable of to shame the other owners into not giving out contracts the owner thinks are unseemly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Just now, TheTruth05 said:

thats what i took from it, honestly I know the playing time is up in the air but I wouldn't mind the Sox signing both Joc and Brantley to rotate RF/DH/Spot Start LF. Gives Vaughn ample time to not be rushed into producing

Last year Hahn said they were struggling to get a good lotto ticket pitcher because our rotation looked so overfilled, and to that end I just don't think Brantley would walk into a situation like that. He can probably find a multi-year deal.

If we want to do the DH/backup thing, we should go after lastella and see if he'd bite.

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Before they hired LaRussa I thought they were going to run Mazara back out there. This Springer or Bauer or the off season is a failure narrative is bizzarre.  

While not yet by any means.. This offseason would absolutely be a failure IF our signings consist of only (examples), Joc, Quintana and another meh starter.

Just now, bmags said:

Last year Hahn said they were struggling to get a good lotto ticket pitcher because our rotation looked so overfilled, and to that end I just don't think Brantley would walk into a situation like that. He can probably find a multi-year deal.

If we want to do the DH/backup thing, we should go after lastella and see if he'd bite.

Yea that's really what worries me, especially with Vaughn waiting in the wings. Brantley would definitely be primary DH so knowing his playing time would be cut into makes the Sox much less enticing. I think LaStella is kind of in a similar spot too to be honest

7 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

The NBC Sports article saying we should sign Adam Eaton to play right makes a ton of sense if it weren't for all the known issues.

Typically I had said I was against it, but with our new old leader, he may well have an audience for the type of floor show he brings.

3 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Yea that's really what worries me, especially with Vaughn waiting in the wings. Brantley would definitely be primary DH so knowing his playing time would be cut into makes the Sox much less enticing. I think LaStella is kind of in a similar spot too to be honest

He is but at least with lastella you can find him playing time. He's not zobrist talented...but we don't have a lot of depth if a moncada injury happens, and lastella would be great depth.

10 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

One minute the team is talking about World Series or bust, the next they aren't interested in the players most apt to get them there.  In my world, that is what is bizarre.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ll be honest, Springer never made any sense to the Sox. I’m shocked at how many people thought it was possible, even likely. This isn’t about any insider who mentioned it, as they can only report what they hear.

That’s the thing, usually the player that isn't discussed as a possibility for them as much is usually the one they sign. They thrive under stealth mode. That’s just the way they have operated for years.

18 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I also wouldn't do that. The White Sox don't benefit from a 1 year deal. Why would they give up a 2nd rounder for 1 year of Trevor Bauer? 

Fair point. But it buys them time to see how Cease, Dunning, and Kopech develop. And Bauer said he wants a 1 year deal. So theoretically if that is true and you want a chance at a title next year, you sign him for one year and revisit later. 

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

That’s the thing, usually the player that isn't discussed as a possibility for them as much is usually the one they sign. They thrive under stealth mode. That’s just the way they have operated for years.

We knew about Manny and Wheeler. And we kind of knew Grandal was a target. 

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So the reports of us offering Springer were a lie? I don't understand.

They might have tried to get him at a bargain price, who knows.  I think there’s a lot of games being played by the agency, as they have 3 guys the Sox theoretically would want for the same position.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’ll be honest, Springer never made any sense to the Sox. I’m shocked at how many people thought it was possible, even likely. This isn’t about any insider who mentioned it, as they can only report what they hear.

It depends what "never made any sense to the sox" means. 

If it means "unlikely that sox would sign them", of course.

But obviously it should make sense to sign a very good player that is available. Trying to nail the perfect roster balance is a fools errand, take the very best players you can get. 

Every year a teams win the world series and teaches us something different.

2015: Sequencing! Need contact and defense!

2016: Power! Slam dingers and play defense!

2017: Oh it's between the two! Get players that with low k totals and power

2018: Have Mookie Betts

2019: Have Rendon

2020: Have Mookie Betts

If sox win, it will be some weird trope about aggressive hitters or some shit. But you just put talented players together, not try and get the optimal rotisserie roster. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

The NBC Sports article saying we should sign Adam Eaton to play right makes a ton of sense if it weren't for all the known issues.

Eaton still makes tons of sense regardless.  This is TA & Abreus team, Giolito's team, etc.  He's walking into a brand new, completely different clubhouse.  The only issues are FO issues.

Of course we all know about KW's grudges and same with the dorf, but Eaton's lower pricetag and short-term "make good" deal potential probably wins him a lot of favor from the dorf.  But I still doubt KW would be a man about it.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

you're shocked that sox fans who were told by people around the team that they were going after springer and even offered him early, thought the Sox were in on Springer? What?