Passan: Springer to White Sox not happening

KrankinSox

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If reports were true that they gave offered 5/$125M to Wheeler last offseason, I don’t see how Springer or Bauer are out of our price range. Maybe Sox are trying to be on the conservative side with it being midst of a pandemic, but I don’t buy the narrative that we don’t offer 9 figure contracts.

How many 9 figure contracts have the White Sox actually signed in their existence of their franchise? Zero.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pal said:

I don't think Vaughn starts season with team. I also have a hard time believing he'll be fast tracked AND succeed without ever playing above A ball. Let him get his feet wet. Spell Abreu. Always DH vs lefties. Let him adapt for a year, and if he forces the issue, awesome. 

This approach works for rebuilding clubs. Teams like us will call up prospects earlier to help the team win. If Vaughn won't be ready this year then they need to sign Schwarber, Ozuna, or Cruz to one year deals. I think they will bring Vaughn up though and allocate the money to RF and a TOR arm. 

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Unfortunately, we may miss out on Pederson as well. Apparently his brother is a hitting coach for one of the Cardinals’ minor league teams. 

So that means he's going sign with the Cardinals?

What?

So he can not be with his brother, but have the same affiliation? I didn't know we were selling Reach toothbrushes on soxtalk.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

Offer vs sign. The premise of the Passan article is JR wouldn’t pay anyone 9 figures.

Yes, and the premise is sustained by the fact that he never has.

Offering contracts that aren't going to be signed isn't offering a contract by any means. I could offer Machado 240 million to play for my local travel team but it wouldn't mean I was actually ever at risk of paying that contract.

No team knew more about what Machado wanted; no team negotiated longer with Machado. The Sox knew exactly what they were doing with Machado and the incentive laden contract.

• Love 2

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So that means he's going sign with the Cardinals?

What?

I’m not saying that he is definitely going to sign there or not. Just stating a fact that his brother is a hitting instructor or coach for one of the minor league teams and it’s a possibility he may sign with the Cardinals.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Every guy you listed except for Joc, sucks.

I’d rather have Santander over Joc, easily. Calhoun is like 5th in baseball in terms of homers over the last 162 games. Again none of these are perfect solutions, but for him to act like Mazara is a better option is just ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Unfortunately, we may miss out on Pederson as well. Apparently his brother is a hitting coach for one of the Cardinals’ minor league teams. 

Uh, I don't think so. If he signs with the Cardinals it'll be to be a RF for the Cardinals for the most money. Do minor league teams even meet with big league clubs? Most aren't even in the same state as the big club. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Offering contracts that aren't going to be signed isn't offering a contract by any means. I could offer Machado 240 million to play for my local travel team but it wouldn't mean I was actually ever at risk of paying that contract.

No team knew more about what Machado wanted; no team negotiated longer with Machado. The Sox knew exactly what they were doing with Machado and the incentive laden contract.

I have to say spot on with this one. I don't know why so many insist on playing stupid and not connecting SO many obvious dots.

10 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I'm failing to see how missing out on Springer who the Sox haven't even missed out on yet, means by default Engel starts.  Maybe you should just calm the fuck down and get out the jump to conclusions foot mat and jump to a different spot 

Eh, I'm talking about options beyond Springer. Beyond Pederson and Calhoun, there really aren't any that won't be super expensive. So if they don't sign Pederson, can't reach an agreement on a deal for Calhoun .......where's the upgrade coming from? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Your point about Machado is spot on.  However, with Wheeler, we were absolutely prepared to pay that contract. 

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

I have to say spot on with this one. I don't know why so many insist on playing stupid and not connecting SO many obvious dots.

I do think we wanted Manny, just at that lowball 7 year and 175 million dollar offer. Once the stakes raised, I think they wanted to be outbid, and creatively found a way to do so without looking like fools for signing his brother in law and friend. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Eh, I'm talking about options beyond Springer. Beyond Pederson and Calhoun, there really aren't any. So if they don't sign Pederson, can't reach an agreement on a deal for Calhoun .......where's the upgrade coming from? 

Hey man, you are right.  Outside of these four, there is literally nobody else beside Engel that can be signed or traded for.  Point taken, you win.  

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think you're not dumb enough to make that statement. I think you know the time, effort, resource it takes to go through negotiation process with top tier free agent and give a legitimate pitch, and the fact that they brought his two of his buddies to boot. If they just wanted to give a college try and please the fans, there was no need to bring in Alonso/Jay. They made an effort but came up short. I don't what's so hard to understand.

12 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Unfortunately, we may miss out on Pederson as well. Apparently his brother is a hitting instructor for one of the Cardinals’ minor league teams. 

I doubt that will be a factor if we have the top deal. They can afford to spend an extra 2-3m on Joc if they aren't gonna be swimming in the adult pool anyway.

Seriously if they can't even win on a player who is like a 2 yr/20-22m player there's no point to anything anymore.

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

I think you're not dumb enough to make that statement. I think you know the time, effort, resource it takes to go through negotiation process with top tier free agent and give a legitimate pitch, and the fact that they brought his two of his buddies to boot. If they just wanted to give a college try and please the fans, there was no need to bring in Alonso/Jay. They made an effort but came up short. I don't what's so hard to understand.

They brought in his buddies to see if they could avoid paying MSRP. 

I'm thinking this leak came from Springer's agent. We know the Sox made an offer, and I bet it's for 4/80 or something similar with maybe an option year taking it to <= 99 mil. This is code for "If you offer 9 figures you sign George Springer".

Edited by almagest