Passan: Springer to White Sox not happening

KrankinSox

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This one was a bit different. A typical Jerry Reinsdorf production. Sox 8/250 offer was highest for a long time. Machado wanted $300 million. JR wouldn’t ok the deal. Hahn knew they were toast the night before Machado took SD offer. 

Yeah, the Sox never budged and never had an intention of getting to the ask - which was 300. I don't know if it was naivety from never playing at that level of FA, but it was always unrealistic to think the premium player on the market was going to sign for 50 million less in guarantees than the union and his agent had laid out from the beginning. He also has the shittiest agent in professional sports, which doesn't help.

I think Hahn knew this as well; hence the embarrassing Jon Jay stuff. I don't blame Hahn as creativity is needed with jerry in charge, but elite FA's don't get cute and don't want creativity; they want the most money possible to set the market for future union growth, and to guarantee themselves the most money possible obviously.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

IIRC wasn't the offer like 8/250?  So the Sox were claiming that there's was a better offer based on AAV?  And maybe some options at the end?  Been a while.

Yeah, it was something like if Manny plays 150 games in his age 97 season the offer was better from the White Sox. How could he be SUCH A COWARD and turn down that opportunity lol

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, it was something like if Manny plays 150 games in his age 97 season the offer was better from the White Sox. How could he be SUCH A COWARD and turn down that opportunity lol

None of this was actually said anywhere but your imagination, but proceed.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Dude. I think the Machado and Wheeler offers were very real. 

I also think that the Sox already knew that there was a zero percent chance that the player accepted at the time they made them. It was 100% a PR ploy with the fanbase to not let them know how cheap they really were. 

Hard to argue with the reporting presented in this thread on Wheeler and continue with the "it was never genuine stuff."

It's OK to be a bit rambunctious and over the top in the discussion, as I was as well, but once one argument is defeated by facts its best to just move on.

I am not pissed they won't sign Springer.  I think I have mentioned before I would rather they spend the money on pitching. But Passau seems to indicate the Sox won't be spending that kind of money which is really sad. We have sat through trash all the while being told when the time comes the money will be there. The time has come and it also is the time where if you are looking to spend you will rarely have less competition , yet the Sox appeared poised to make their same "going for it" additions they always make. Please JR show me I am wrong. 

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, because I don't think they had any intention of going over the 7/175 that Bruuuce was reporting. Manny was never going to sign that. 

Typical of you to always resort to the worst outcome. But literally every single person on here who isn't a conspiracy theorist or Jack Parkman is telling you the 8/$250M was a legit offer. So was it me being naive or you being Jack Parkman?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

James literally just said 8/250ars 

That offer was real. But no real chance of it being signed. I will give you an example.

Years ago, my wife wanted a very expensive item that I found ugly and useless. It was on Ebay and the starting bid was 900 dollars. I did research on Ebay and saw that this item would not be sold for less than $1200, as that was a used and average condition version of the item. I told her we would put in bids and started by requesting $950. The bids kept going up and asking me to offer more. I played this game until I got to my last offer of $1,150. I told her at that point we need to tap out because the price was getting out of control. She agreed and moved on with her life. In this scenario I bid big money, but I knew my offer had no chance of getting accepted by the seller and it made it appear to my wife that I tried hard to make her happy. 

Just now, thxfrthmmrs said:

Typical of you to always resort to the worst outcome. But literally every single person on here who isn't a conspiracy theorist or Jack Parkman is telling you the 8/$250M was a legit offer. So was it me being naive or you being Jack Parkman?

We have an incredibly different definition of legit. Rick Hahn knew it wasn't a legit offer that Manny or his agent would sign. That's the entire argument being laid out here.

No one is saying the Sox sent Manny a suitcase with 250 million in IOU's. The argument is the legitimacy of an offer is determined by it's closeness to the demand. I am very serious when I offer to buy a 25k car for 18k, but the offer lacks legitimacy because it's not anywhere near the market value for the item.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hard to argue with the reporting presented in this thread on Wheeler and continue with the "it was never genuine stuff."

It's OK to be a bit rambunctious and over the top in the discussion, as I was as well, but once one argument is defeated by facts its best to just move on.

I didn't see the Y2J posts on Wheeler. 

That's believable. 

Why not offer the same for top dollar to Bauer then? That's about where he's at. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That offer was real. But no real chance of it being signed. I will give you an example.

Years ago, my wife wanted a very expensive item that I found ugly and useless. It was on Ebay and the starting bid was 900 dollars. I did research on Ebay and saw that this item would not be sold for less than $1200, as that was a used and average condition version of the item. I told her we would put in bids and started by requesting $950. The bids kept going up and asking me to offer more. I played this game until I got to my last offer of $1,150. I told her at that point we need to tap out because the price was getting out of control. She agreed and moved on with her life. In this scenario I bid big money, but I knew my offer had no chance of getting accepted by the seller and it made it appear to my wife that I tried hard to make her happy. 

This is genius; I am envious of your husbandship. If that was me, my wife would have known the price beforehand and set her own market price which no one on Ebay could possibly ever match so I'd be bidding on the item against myself as if I was the Texas Rangers.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

We have an incredibly different definition of legit. Rick Hahn knew it wasn't a legit offer that Manny or his agent would sign. That's the entire argument being laid out here.

No one is saying the Sox sent Manny a suitcase with 250 million in IOU's. The argument is the legitimacy of an offer is determined by it's closeness to the demand. I am very serious when I offer to buy a 25k car for 18k, but the offer lacks legitimacy because it's not anywhere near the market value for the item.

^^^^^^

Yep, just like my BS Ebay offer I posted about above. 

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Dude. I think the Machado and Wheeler offers were very real. 

I also think that the Sox already knew that there was a zero percent chance that the player accepted at the time they made them. It was 100% a PR ploy with the fanbase to not let them know how cheap they really were. 

If nothing comes out of this, it's had been fun the last 2-3 pages watching you and Ray backtrack every step of the way. So at first I was naive to think that they offer $250M to Machado, they you thought their best offer was 7/$175M or whatever nonsense Bruce threw out there. Then you said those offers were very real. Pick a lane Jack.

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

If nothing comes out of this, it's had been fun the last 2-3 pages watching you and Ray backtrack every step of the way. So at first I was naive to think that they offer $250M to Machado, they you thought their best offer was 7/$175M or whatever nonsense Bruce threw out there. Then you said those offers were very real. Pick a lane Jack.

I thought that they didn't offer the $250 until the $300 was already on the table, and apparently that was incorrect. 

I also have maintained that the offer wasn't serious if it didn't begin with a 3. That turned out to be accurate. 

I admit that I was wrong on the Wheeler deal, and I'm surprised they actually went there. Sounds like they would have had him if Philly had decided to tap out at that point. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Cool, so pack up your pipe dreams of Springer or Bauer. Learn to love the lesser product. Do less with more. Stiff upper lip. "Chicago tough" and all that BS. 

One thing is clear, you people that think this fossil will ever spend his money at levels beyond what we've already seen are *nuts.* Rich people like having money, not spending money. He'll die a very happy man with or without another ring. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I thought that they didn't offer the $250 until the $300 was already on the table, and apparently that was incorrect. 

I also have maintained that the offer wasn't serious if it didn't begin with a 3. That turned out to be accurate. 

I admit that I was wrong on the Wheeler deal, and I'm surprised they actually went there. 

My understanding was they had the 250 for a long time and a big lead and thought they had him... Probably until the day before when the Padres found out how low the offer was.

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Point me where I said the Sox made a "fake" offer to Machado.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is last post I would make on this, because this nonsense is derailing the thread. But at first you said Sox wouldn't pay anyone 9 figure, then it was if they could have Manny at 8/$250M then they would have been happy to. And you haven't answered on why Sox spent $14M and a prospect on his buddies if they just wanted to make a college try at the pursuit. I don't know why any professional organizations would to be honest. Reputations with agents and players actually mean something in the real world. But you can keep carry on with your conspiracy theories to help you cope with your frustration at this organization.