Passan: Springer to White Sox not happening

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I can't even remember what the problem was with Eaton (personality wise that's more than...he was a jack ass). What exactly did he do? 

One thing I can say in favor of ol' drinky LaRussa is that even he can hold together a clubhouse a whole lot better than Robin ever could.

Robin Ventura was the biggest surprise disappointment from a manager/coaching staff/executive I can remember.  I thought it would be such a good hire at the time.  Nope.

• Like 2

I would be very happy with an Eaton move.  I really think he should be a fit here.

Also, let's not ignore all those years with the Nats.  The Nats had a very veteran clubhouse and I'm sure that changed him at least a bit in some ways.

Also again, this is TA and Abreu's team.  This is more Eloy and Roberts team.  This is Giolito's team, Bummer's team, etc.  It's not Eaton's team anymore, it's another team he is going to that will feel like a different organization, aside from the FO of course.  But even then, if Eaton gets along well with TLR, then he's immediately got an "in" to ownership.  If he wants to be TLR's sidekick, he can bypass the FO entirely if he needs to earn higher favor in a squabble.  It's stupid that I'm talking about this drama stuff but hey it keeps getting brought up so that's why.

37 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I would be very happy with an Eaton move.  I really think he should be a fit here.

Also, let's not ignore all those years with the Nats.  The Nats had a very veteran clubhouse and I'm sure that changed him at least a bit in some ways.

Also again, this is TA and Abreu's team.  This is more Eloy and Roberts team.  This is Giolito's team, Bummer's team, etc.  It's not Eaton's team anymore, it's another team he is going to that will feel like a different organization, aside from the FO of course.  But even then, if Eaton gets along well with TLR, then he's immediately got an "in" to ownership.  If he wants to be TLR's sidekick, he can bypass the FO entirely if he needs to earn higher favor in a squabble.  It's stupid that I'm talking about this drama stuff but hey it keeps getting brought up so that's why.

He'd also work well versus RH in a platoon situation.  Save his legs against LH as he is a maximum energy type of player.  That would make for a nice defensive combination in RF as well.

1 hour ago, Superstar Lamar said:

waiting for the board to lose its shit when the Sox sign Eaton

I think I might actually prefer Eaton to Joc.  Either would be fine, I guess.  Putting aside Eaton being a dbag, he's a pretty good fit for RF.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Capital G said:

I can't even remember what the problem was with Eaton (personality wise that's more than...he was a jack ass). What exactly did he do? 

There were rumblings out of AZ after the Sox acquired Eaton that he might have had some clubhouse issues.  Don't  recall it really show up much until the Adam LaRoche retirement over his kid being a constant clubhouse presence.  Eaton showed his ass pretty hard in defense of LaRoche if I remember correctly.  Frasier and Eaton had some bad blood that continued after both where traded.  The whole fiasco shined a light on a pretty toxic clubhouse before all of the blockbuster trades to kick off the rebuild.  Nats teammates seem to have good things to say about him now so maybe he grew up a little?  Who knows for sure.

I've mentioned this here before, but I really like the idea of brining in two bats.   Start with Joc or Eaton and then add add another guy like Dahl.  Let's Eloy spend more time at DH and gives us insurance because our OF tends to get a little injured.

Another guy that could make sense as that secondary piece is Marwin Gonzalez.  He can play everywhere and would help bridge the gap to Vaughn arriving, and give Sox an insurance policy all around the diamond.  Should be relatively cheap, too.  

• Like 1