RIP Dick Allen

bmags

A terrible loss, was an All Time White Sox great. I'm stricter than most when it comes to the HOF, but definitely more worthy than Harold Baines and most non BBWAA inductees. His OF dWAR really hurt him, but he is 8th all time in oWAR among 3rd baseman, the most underrepresented position in the BBHOF.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-dick-allen-died-20201207-zyhngctlgjdq5mzhuq37wnrpmq-story.html

https://deadspin.com/baseball-is-still-finding-ways-to-screw-over-dick-allen-1845825861

Edited by South Side Hit Men

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sadly this probably gives him his best chance at getting in the HOF.

It's such a shame that this happens. Much like Jerry Krause, Dick Allen clearly deserves to be in the HOF WHILE ALIVE. Such a shame it will have taken them dying to be elected.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Very sad, only 78. I first started watching White Sox baseball in the early 1970's and loved that team with Allen, Melton, May, Wood, etc. The A's were just a little better. I met him at the 2012 Ceremony honoring his 1972 season at the Stadium Club in 2012.

2020 has been extra tough on baseball players with all of the greats that have passed on....

• Love 1

The Dick Allen/Richie Allen thing always confused me as a kid. I started watching baseball in the late 70s, and for the longest time I wasn’t sure if it was two different players they were referring to.

I wish they’d make the 72 uniforms the Sunday alternate this year in his honor. I’m tired of the ‘83 unis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

One thing I read today was that Bill Veeck tried to bring him back to play with the 1977 Southside Hit Men. But the offer wasn’t enough.

If so, that would have been an even more fun team to watch along with Garr, Lemon, Orta, Zisk, Soderholm, Jim Spencer and Lamar Johnson.  Oscar Gamble came along in early April and just added to a fun lineup.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He was the coolest baseball player of all time. The only guy who looked cool wearing a helmet on defense. 

Used to routinely hit them over the CF wall except that one day at the Met when he hit two of them inside the park. Quite a talent and one of a kind. 

2 hours ago, zisk said:

Had arguably the best year any WS player has ever had. I was watching on TV the day he hit 2 inside the park homers in one game. He and

Wilbur Wood were the sports idols of my childhood. RIP.

People might not believe Woody and Dick became the two highest paid players for the next season. 

Edited by pcq