Michael Brantley Thread

Jack Parkman

Just now, almagest said:

I thought I saw some concerning trends in his advanced numbers but I checked Fangraphs again and contact %, swing %, exit velocity, etc were all within career norms. He probably has another year or two left but given the Sox luck with signing over-30 left handed DHs in the low-mid market price range I'll still take the under.

I get it! I specifically think Brantley's hitting style will mesh well with this team. To speak of player comps, he just feels like he'll be that new howie kendrick type.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Agreed, Brantley and Joc would be awesome. They have the same agent as well.

I wonder how much budget that leaves for a pitcher?  I wonder how much Kluber would cost? If Hahn got Kluber I'd want him to hedge with someone like Richards/Archer in case Kluber isn't healthy, has diminished stuff, or gets injured again. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Funny a guy who hits .300+ year in year out with one of the lowest strikeout rates in baseball is being compared to Dunn and LaRoche

It's more Sox fan cynicism than anything else.......Ever heard of Murphy's law?? 

Who would be better in LF? Brantley or Eloy? 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

Eye test was telling me Brantley was barely passable in left field, but statistics say he was actually pretty good in left. Don't think he's the best fit, but there shouldn't be much question about his bat imo. Dude can hit, no doubt in my mind about that. I just don't see how a guy who hasn't struck out 70 times since 2011 suddenly at age 34 becomes a candidate for Encarnacion/Dunn style drop off. People seem to forget Dunn was an out of shape slob who was crying about how being a designated hitter sucked immediately after signing to DH for the Sox and Encarnacion was always a low average high strikeout hitter, in which case any diminishment is inevitably going to result in total collapse of productivity. Sox rolled the dice and lost on a one year deal. Bid deal. Doesn't have anything to do with Brantley

Edited by Vulture

20 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

So how about Brantley and Joc for a combined $25M - roughly same dollars as Springer? We then trade Vaughn as the centerpiece for Snell. resign Colome and we are off to the races. 

Trading Vaughn is an atrocious idea. Trading him for Snell is even more so. I don’t know why so many people are excited to do this.

38 minutes ago, bmags said:

EE was 37 and had already started to show real decline outside of his sox run (didn't he stop hitting doubles? Usually bad)

Brantley is still great and is providing much more than power.

I get that every player is just a former sox player, but come on guys.

Every player is just a future former Sox player.

For those concerned, I think Brantley is so different than the past failed Sox signings. As you say, he is more than power and is the type of profile that ages well.

It's also fine if the Sox actually have depth. Signing an aging player and not having him play everyday sounds like a way to keep him healthy and productive. Good teams don't have 9 guys fixed to a position anymore. Not everyone will be healthy all year and Vaughn shouldn't be counted on for anything.

57 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

What's the biggest concern with Brantley?  Defense?  Seems to be a good hitter.  I gather from other's comments that he wouldn't/couldn't play RF.  That creates an issue by having to move Eloy.  Question is, how would Eloy be in RF?

I love me some Eloy, but put him in RF and we will allow the most triples in baseball.

11 minutes ago, shakes said:

Every player is just a future former Sox player.

For those concerned, I think Brantley is so different than the past failed Sox signings. As you say, he is more than power and is the type of profile that ages well.

It's also fine if the Sox actually have depth. Signing an aging player and not having him play everyday sounds like a way to keep him healthy and productive. Good teams don't have 9 guys fixed to a position anymore. Not everyone will be healthy all year and Vaughn shouldn't be counted on for anything.

Yeah, but is LaRussa going to do that with his players? 

1 hour ago, SouthWallace said:

Brantley would be a fine addition if he comes cheap and is cool with a part time DH/LF role once Vaughn arrives.  The caveats give me doubt.  

I agree but why? If Vaughn's arrival is imminent, what is do we have for Brantley outside of DH for a year? Would a 1 year deal for what he will cost be worth it?

I like Brantley and was for signing him, but after having thought of it more, doesn't seem like a fit if he's not going to play the field.

Edited by RagahRagah