Michael Brantley Thread

Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the White Sox sign Michael Brantley now, either Eloy or Vaughn is getting traded. Brantley isn’t signing for one year, and they aren’t going to block Vaughn for 2 years.

Brantley is a DH now. He may sign a big one year deal to focus on hitting and possibly open up chances in the NL when they approve the DH. I'm not sure he or Nelson Cruz are getting two year deals in this market. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

If the White Sox sign Michael Brantley now, either Eloy or Vaughn is getting traded. Brantley isn’t signing for one year, and they aren’t going to block Vaughn for 2 years.

The Sox need another corner OF/DH desperately.  

With their current roster, they are not only relying on Eloy and Eaton to stay healthy for the majority of the season, they are also relying on a kid who hasn't played above A and missed an entire year of development to immediately step into the DH role.  

A guy like Brantley has a spot on the roster this year, and possibly in 2022.

With the current state of MLB, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brantley take a 1 year deal with a 2nd year team option.  

Hoping they are still considering him, but not counting on it.  

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

So they're going to unload a generational bat to have aging Eaton, Brantley and Abreu around? I sure hope not. No reason Sox can't carry all those guys for one year then unload Eaton. I'd rather have Eloy in right and Brantley in left than lose either Eloy or Vaughn. Eaton gone in a year, Brantley and Abreu in two, unless Abreu re-signs to DH. Essentially to make room for Eaton? When we could have Vaughn and Eloy, along with Robert, anchoring the middle of the lineup in their primes for years into the future? No thanks

Edited by Vulture

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Eloy is not getting traded lol. I could see a platoon with him and Brantley with DH/LF.

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1

The Sox have so far gotten Lance Lynn on the cheap at $8M. Adam Eaton is costing only $7M. The Sox shed a lot more payroll than that, so they could potentially continue to add.

Having a closer has to be the highest priority. Who knows how much Hendrix would cost if he's their target. 

After that, most people would target another pitcher because who knows what they will get from Cease and Kopech, and you don't really want to be using Reynaldo Lopez.

But according to tweets, the Sox may still be considering Michael Brantley. That would mean holding Andrew Vaughn down in the minors longer. Vaughn looked ready last spring, but he will be 23 in April, and has only 250 minor league ABs, nothing above high A. The Sox could choose to season him for another full year while they "go for it" with Brantley.

Brantley brings a high average, high OBP, and some pop, and he crushes right handers. He's actually got bigger splits than Adam Eaton. 

So the Sox could theoretically still add Brantley and fit him as an OF/DH platoon with Eloy and Engle. But there probably isn't the roster space to then also add Vaughn, who would just get seasoned in the minors for another year. 

I would think the Sox offense would be stronger in 2021 with Brantley over Vaughn, and the R/L balance would be more even. 

So, who knows?

I just want the Sox to get the closer next so we can stop being concerned. 

• 3 weeks later...