Michael Brantley Thread

Jack Parkman

Have no idea how credible this guy is though, but this isn't the first place I've seen it. 

Seems like there's been a lot of smoke around Brantley/Sox today, and I'm assuming that it's for the DH spot. No Vaughn in 2021 if he signs. 

Passan also linked the Sox/Brantley in the Springer article. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30466745/what-jeff-passan-hearing-mlb-free-agency-trade-rumors-latest-offseason-buzz

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

What's the biggest concern with Brantley?  Defense?  Seems to be a good hitter.  I gather from other's comments that he wouldn't/couldn't play RF.  That creates an issue by having to move Eloy.  Question is, how would Eloy be in RF?

How would Eloy be at DH? 

Some of this stuff points to the idea that Vaughn might be on the move, and they may have seen enough of Eloy in the OF. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

How would Eloy be at DH? 

Some of this stuff points to the idea that Vaughn might be on the move, and they may have seen enough of Eloy in the OF. 

He'd probably be better at DH than in the OF...either corner.  If Vaughn is indeed being shopped, it would have to be as part of a blockbuster.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

What's the biggest concern with Brantley?  Defense?  Seems to be a good hitter.  I gather from other's comments that he wouldn't/couldn't play RF.  That creates an issue by having to move Eloy.  Question is, how would Eloy be in RF?

Basically he is starting to move in cement and was DH a lot last year.

OTOH, if you could choose a hitter that is the perfect balance to what sox need to add (high contact, low k, good BB%, great vs RHP), Brantley is it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

OTOH, if you could choose a hitter that is the perfect balance to what sox need to add (high contact, low k, good BB%, great vs RHP), Brantley is it.

Or he comes here and goes the way of EE, Dunn and myriad other Sox old fart DHs over the years. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Or he comes here and goes the way of EE, Dunn and myriad other Sox old fart DHs over the years. 

EE was 37 and had already started to show real decline outside of his sox run (didn't he stop hitting doubles? Usually bad)

Brantley is still great and is providing much more than power.

I get that every player is just a former sox player, but come on guys.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Have no idea how credible this guy is though, but this isn't the first place I've seen it. 

Seems like there's been a lot of smoke around Brantley/Sox today, and I'm assuming that it's for the DH spot. No Vaughn in 2021 if he signs. 

Passan also linked the Sox/Brantley in the Springer article. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30466745/what-jeff-passan-hearing-mlb-free-agency-trade-rumors-latest-offseason-buzz

If Vaughn is not here and we need a DH I'd strongly consider Schwarber and Nelson Cruz. 

16 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I don't buy it, unless he plays the OF. A DH is a poor area to spend cash. They need pitching and a RFer.

This is the Sox MO, though. Waste money on low/mid tier acquisitions that seldom pan out. I think Brantley is prime for regression and I'd bet he posts below a 100 wRC+ next year.

Just now, almagest said:

This is the Sox MO, though. Waste money on low/mid tier acquisitions that seldom pan out. I think Brantley is prime for regression and I'd bet he posts below a 100 wRC+ next year.

I'll take that bet.

If I win nobody on the board can mention Adam Dunn again.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Don’t forget, Sox were supposedly specifically focusing on finding guys to hit Indians and Twins pitching 

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'll take that bet.

If I win nobody on the board can mention Adam Dunn again.

I thought I saw some concerning trends in his advanced numbers but I checked Fangraphs again and contact %, swing %, exit velocity, etc were all within career norms. He probably has another year or two left but given the Sox luck with signing over-30 left handed DHs in the low-mid market price range I'll still take the under.