Rumor: Sox discussing deal with Cubs/Rangers

Whisox05

It's pretty funny to read this thread where half the people think the rumor is Dunning for Heyward and the other half think we'd be getting Darvish and Heyward for Dunning.

(Seemed obvious to me that we'd be getting both Darvish and Heyward in the supposed deal, but what do I know about a rumor?)

• Haha 1

Just now, quickman said:

Has dunning suddenly become a number 1 is he better than what we have coming up with prospects ? Keep perspective let’s not make dunning the next giolito. 

I don't see anyone calling Dunning the next Giolito. He is still valuable as a 4/5 though. He looked more than capable to become a guy that could hold down the back end of the rotation for a few years. I'd much rather trade Stiever at this point, especially since his FB velo disappeared.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's not........I think Dunning's ceiling is a RHP Quintana from 2014-16. 

I think Jerry saw what happened in the postseason and refuses for the team to get caught without a legit postseason starter they can rely upon for at least 3 games 

1 minute ago, quickman said:

Well at least joc. Depends what the cubs eat. Honestly it really does. They are desperate to rebuild and start over . Window for them is gone. Let’s see what plays out out it’s a rumor for now  

Darvish alone is a 20mil per year pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I would rather sign a FA than trade for Lynn if we get Darvish.  Giolito Darvish Keuchel Quintana Cease for 2020 and then Kopech Stiever and Crochet battling for 1-2 spots in ST 2021.  Fuck yeah depth.

I'm not saying it would get it done . But I would do stiever and a secondary piece for Lynn. The sox have enough other arms with a higher ceiling than stiever. 

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I don't see anyone calling Dunning the next Giolito. He is still valuable as a 4/5 though. He looked more than capable to become a guy that could hold down the back end of the rotation for a few years. I'd much rather trade Stiever at this point, especially since his FB velo disappeared.

The Sox made a mistake calling Stiever up that early. He didn’t pitch all that great. He settled down but he still struggled. His value right now is low and not many teams are going to want him.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Stiever came up and pitched in the majors this year. He's probably not on anyone's radar right now. Have to see if he gets his 2019 velo back first. Nobody wants him and I don't think anyone is dumb enough to have old scouting reports from 2019. The guy we saw in 2020 is AAAA fodder. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sox80 said:

I'm not saying it would get it done . But I would do stiever and a secondary piece for Lynn. The sox have enough other arms with a higher ceiling than stiever. 

Im definitely one of the highest on Stiever.  But its also because i think he has a high floor.  Crochet is like insane ceiling but floor is RP.  Its always good to have more of a floor guy involved pushing people.  Stiever is a year away.  Dunning is another high floor guy but hes ready now.

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We are pissing away our payroll flexibility and giving away a mid rotation starter to do it. We could sign Bauer and Peterson for the same dollars and keep Dunning. 

I see your point.  The question would be how much of Heyward's salary the Cubs take back.  How many years Does Bauer sign for?  

43 minutes ago, Pal said:

Update...Dunning going North, Cubs eating portion of Heyward $$$. Dude is convinced it's going down. Again, be gentle.

Here is the original post from a guy or person that hasn’t commented since where the hell is darvish name in this?

Edited by quickman

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We are pissing away our payroll flexibility and giving away a mid rotation starter to do it. We could sign Bauer and Peterson for the same dollars and keep Dunning. 

This is where I keep coming back to...unless Cubs are sending a ton of cash and the actual prospect cost is minimum, I just don't see what makes this move so appealing (at face value).  It would seem if the Sox are going to spend that kind of money - why not just get Bauer at the big cost and Pederson at a more affordable shorter term AAV (you probably end up with a similar all-in cost spend and don't give up any prospects and get 2 better players).  

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is where I keep coming back to...unless Cubs are sending a ton of cash and the actual prospect cost is minimum, I just don't see what makes this move so appealing (at face value).  It would seem if the Sox are going to spend that kind of money - why not just get Bauer at the big cost and Pederson at a more affordable shorter term AAV (you probably end up with a similar all-in cost spend and don't give up any prospects and get 2 better players).  

If Cubs pay like 25 mil with Heyward, you would be paying Yu and him about 33 million. Bauer and Joc will cost about 10 mil more than that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Doesn’t seem like the cost is that different no?

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Most of Bauer's career looks like Darvish's worst years. Darvish has been light years better than Bauer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, quickman said:

Here is the original post from a guy or person that hasn’t commented since where the hell is darvish name in this?

This was his first post, on page one:

Not an insider or anything but have been texted once Saturday and once today that the Sox are seriously discussing a deal for Darvish and Heyward. Again, don't know any insider, but this person is pretty good a filtering through bullshit and this is all I've heard from them since the middle of the season. Now I see what Cishek is saying. Whatever....take it easy on me!

• Quin locked this topic