Rumor: Sox discussing deal with Cubs/Rangers

Whisox05

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Exactly - seems like your total $ spend is similar and you get 2 better players (Bauer > Darvish; Joc > Heyward).  And I keep Dunning (a +).  Now maybe I'm underselling just how much cash the Cubs are going to send and/or the reality is free agency is a crapshoot so Sox don't feel very good about any chance at getting Bauer, in which case maybe a Bauer / Pederson scenario at similar payroll costs is just not realistic.  

Total random gut feeling says the short term years remaining make the appeal greater.  This would be a short term all in move that they could actually accomplish and not be left hanging in FA again.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’d want to see the full terms before passing judgement, but adding Darvish, signing Richards (I’ll pass on Quintana), and holding onto both Kopech & Cease would be a pretty good outcome for us pitching wise this winter.

If we add 30 million in annual payroll from one deal, I would be shocked if do much else other than round out the pen, bring in a low end starter, and a back up catcher. That's probably another 10 million there if we keep it conservative and don't chase the higher end relievers. 

36 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Are we ACTUALLY ok with Jason Heyward as the starting RF? And Yu Darvish was pretty bad up til last season. I just can’t get hyped about this move.

Look, I’m not a Heyward fan by any means, but he does some things right.  For example, he’s been about a 115 wRC+ over his last 1,000 plate appearances against RHP, with a very solid OBP (~.360) and not a ton of K’s.  He’s also plays a pretty good RF and can cover CF in a pinch.  He’s obviously completely overpaid and I think Joc might provide more upside if you get the 2018 to 2019 version, but if talking a chunk of his contract reduces the cost of Darvish you at least have to consider it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Look, I’m not a Heyward fan by any means, but he does some things right.  For example, he’s been about a 115 wRC+ over his last 1,000 plate appearances against RHP, with a very solid OBP (~.360) and not a ton of K’s.  He’s also plays a pretty good RF and can cover CF in a pinch.  He’s obviously completely overpaid and I think Joc might provide more upside if you get the 2018 to 2019 version, but if talking a chunk of his contract reduces the cost of Darvish you at least have to consider it.

For all the cubs talk here, I realized a lot of posters stopped paying attention to them in 2018.

Heyward isn’t a star. But he’s been better offensively and still pretty good in right, and RF in the grf  isn’t that hard.

Darvish has been an ace. And don’t tell me what a pitchers career is, tell me what they’ve done recently.

• Like 1

I’m serious. Phil wrote an article about the Sox landing Snell. Then Al’s beef started posting about it.  They don’t follow each other. Nor does Phil follow the Jacob Larson guy. They also are active at the same times. It’s a theory I have. If you go through replies from Al’s beef, the response that Phil had is very similar to how Beef responds to people.

C213FAD3-1D09-4D69-AE38-7B04B963CECB.jpeg

Edited by Orlando
  • Haha 4

• Quin locked this topic