Rumor: Sox discussing deal with Cubs/Rangers

Whisox05

Is simply taking the contracts of Darvish AND Heyward a fair trade?  

I think that’s 124 Million over 3 years.  

Heyward probably gives you 2WAR per year and Darvish another 3.  If you buy into new Super Darvish then he’s giving you 4-6.  

For negotiating though it’s 5WAR per year for 40M per year.  There is definitely opportunity for surplus value but plenty of opportunity for meh.  

Does that make it a wash?

10 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Is simply taking the contracts of Darvish AND Heyward a fair trade?  

I think that’s 124 Million over 3 years.  

Heyward probably gives you 2WAR per year and Darvish another 3.  If you buy into new Super Darvish then he’s giving you 4-6.  

For negotiating though it’s 5WAR per year for 40M per year.  There is definitely opportunity for surplus value but plenty of opportunity for meh.  

Does that make it a wash?

If they're going to do that, then do Harper/Wheeler instead if Middleton is blowing smoke up the media's ass. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

difference is only 300 million dollars so practically the same thing.

Like I said, Jerry is 85. Probably not his problem eventually. 

That being said, I think he might have a stroke if Hahn came to him with that deal. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

I think if the Sox took all of the salary on the deal would be like Lopez + Collins + Engel + Sheets

But I think if Darvish and Heyward came here that the Sox would get Heyward at about $15M or less, no money back on Darvish, and then Dunning is the centerpiece.  Lopez is probably in it also and the Cubs get 4 or 5 pieces

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I think if the Sox took all of the salary on the deal would be like Lopez + Collins + Engel + Sheets

But I think if Darvish and Heyward came here that the Sox would get Heyward at about $15M or less, no money back on Darvish, and then Dunning is the centerpiece.  Lopez is probably in it also and the Cubs get 4 or 5 pieces

Jerry isn't taking 45M/year, when one is sunk cost. 

I'm obviously joking when I talk about Harper. Wheeler, not so much. 

If they get Darvish or Wheeler  and take the money I don't expect anything else this winter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Then Cubs would ask for a boatload just for Yu

Yu is 34 and is owed $23M/yr over the next 3 years. I don't think there will be a lot of takers. The value in the deal is  entirely taking on the contract. Again, Cease+filler and that's it. Otherwise, Tom can pay him. 

Kopech or Vaughn is a complete nonstarter on any deal for these guys. 

Weaponize payroll space. Find out just how desperate owners are to shed salary. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yu is 34 and is owed $23M/yr over the next 3 years. I don't think there will be a lot of takers. The value in the deal is  entirely taking on the contract. Again, Cease+filler and that's it. Otherwise, Tom can pay him. 

Kopech or Vaughn is a complete nonstarter on any deal for these guys. 

You are insane. There would be plenty of takers.

By the sounds of it, the Cubs ownership might rather use Darvish to dump Heyward than get quality prospects back.

I compare Darvish to Javy Vazquez a lot because of the ups and downs etc.  Think about the Javy Vazquez trade to the Braves: centerpiece of Flowers plus Lillibridge as a kind of bust as a 2nd piece then theyre first rounder with no power whoever he was and wilcard lefthanded throwing 100 but cant hit the broadside of a barn.  That might be a similar deal for Darvish now without Heyward.  Its still obviously not a ton.  I bet the Ricketts would rather dump money.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

He has no idea how much TOR starters are valued in this weak pitching market.

I'll hold on to my guys and pay money then. 

I think there might be 5-7 teams that are buying this winter and the remainder are standing pat and selling. I expect an extreme buyers market. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

For who besides Bauer?

I'll take my chances that one of the kids steps up and go with Kluber and Quintana. 

Also, if most teams spend like a normal offseason it gives MLBPA all of the leverage in 2022 to call shenanigans about the owners crying poor. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic