Rumor: Sox discussing deal with Cubs/Rangers

Whisox05

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

This is where I keep coming back to...unless Cubs are sending a ton of cash and the actual prospect cost is minimum, I just don't see what makes this move so appealing (at face value).  It would seem if the Sox are going to spend that kind of money - why not just get Bauer at the big cost and Pederson at a more affordable shorter term AAV (you probably end up with a similar all-in cost spend and don't give up any prospects and get 2 better players).  

Again the original post does not have darvish in this . It’s dunning for heyward. This I stupid the guy abandon the thread and nobody even noticed 

4 minutes ago, quickman said:

Here is the original post from a guy or person that hasn’t commented since where the hell is darvish name in this?

2 hours ago, Pal said:

Not an insider or anything but have been texted once Saturday and once today that the Sox are seriously discussing a deal for Darvish and Heyward. Again, don't know any insider, but this person is pretty good a filtering through bullshit and this is all I've heard from them since the middle of the season. Now I see what Cishek is saying. Whatever....take it easy on me!

It's not the original post. You must not have read the whole thread.

1 minute ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

This was his first post, on page one:

Not an insider or anything but have been texted once Saturday and once today that the Sox are seriously discussing a deal for Darvish and Heyward. Again, don't know any insider, but this person is pretty good a filtering through bullshit and this is all I've heard from them since the middle of the season. Now I see what Cishek is saying. Whatever....take it easy on me!

I am only commenting on what the other guy said and darvish was no part of it .

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Doesn’t seem like the cost is that different no?

Exactly - seems like your total $ spend is similar and you get 2 better players (Bauer > Darvish; Joc > Heyward).  And I keep Dunning (a +).  Now maybe I'm underselling just how much cash the Cubs are going to send and/or the reality is free agency is a crapshoot so Sox don't feel very good about any chance at getting Bauer, in which case maybe a Bauer / Pederson scenario at similar payroll costs is just not realistic.  

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We are pissing away our payroll flexibility and giving away a mid rotation starter to do it. We could sign Bauer and Peterson for the same dollars and keep Dunning. 

Are you sure about that? If the cubs covered a portion of Heyward's salary to bring it down to ten mil per, that would be 32, 29 and 28 million per for the next three years. Have to admit I have no idea what Pederson signs for, but if Bauer is looking at 30 million like some say id think it'd be closer to 40 million per, and you could get someone like Hendrik for close to the difference.

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Exactly - seems like your total $ spend is similar and you get 2 better players (Bauer > Darvish; Joc > Heyward).  And I keep Dunning (a +).  Now maybe I'm underselling just how much cash the Cubs are going to send and/or the reality is free agency is a crapshoot so Sox don't feel very good about any chance at getting Bauer, in which case maybe a Bauer / Pederson scenario at similar payroll costs is just not realistic.  

Bauer is younger than Darvish but Darvish>Bauer IMO. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Can’t co sign here. I don’t think Bauer is better than darvish.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's not the original post. You must not have read the whole thread.

Ok man understand and if darvish is part of it I get the angst I was only commenting on heyward for dunning ? Long time southsider hope you are well. 

37 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why?  It’s an all in move without giving up the farm.

I’d want to see the full terms before passing judgement, but adding Darvish, signing Richards (I’ll pass on Quintana), and holding onto both Kopech & Cease would be a pretty good outcome for us pitching wise this winter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, quickman said:

Ok man understand and if darvish is part of it I get the angst I was only commenting on heyward for dunning ? Long time southsider hope you are well. 

No one's trading for Heyward by himself for anything let alone Dunning.

• Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic