Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To Steve’s point, it’s pretty ridiculous they didn’t agree to this deal last August.

I would imagine the Rangers would’ve balked. Every report said their price was outrageous, and Dunning hadn’t done shit yet. 

we just go a horse who skits the rest of our rotation much better. This is a great night. 

People calling him a bona-fide ace have lost their damn minds. Lance lynn has had one season in his career with an fWAR over 3.6. 

He had one great year in Texas after finding a cutter. There are a lot of examples of that not sustaining itself. One white sox fans are familiar with is Esteban Loiaza.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

So out of Cease, Kopech,  and Dunning the Sox were willing to move Dane. I hate giving up 6 years of Dunning and only getting a year back, but it seems like they must believe in Cease and Kopech to keep them instead. 

As was alluded to earlier in this thread, maybe Katz had input on who to keep.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

So out of Cease, Kopech,  and Dunning the Sox were willing to move Dane. I hate giving up 6 years of Dunning and only getting a year back, but it seems like they must believe in Cease and Kopech to keep them instead. 

It’s the right move if Jerry refuses to pay top dollar for a TOR starter as we’ll need to develop our own and Kopech & Cease have much higher ceilings obviously.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

He could easily be worse than a #4 starter. He faced garbage lineups last year.  I’m sure he will get stronger after TJS but he’s nothing special IMO

Law said league average starter. Having 6 years of control of that is valuable.

This is a garbage trade and I don't even know yet which prospect they moved...I bet Stiever

• Like 3

Lynn is a good pitcher. Older and a one year deal, so I don't love that part, but the rotation is clearly significantly better and who is to say the Sox can't keep Lynn over time (and it turns out not to be a rental deal). That said - I prefer a route that you use Dunning to get someone more cost-controlled, but no arguing that the major league team took a step forward near term (more importantly they kept Kopech - who was the one arm I didn't want to give up).  

Remember JR will burn the farm system to the ground if he can give up prospects over paying 9 figure FA demands.  Dont get too attached to anyone.  They are all ready to go.  TLR was hired not to win in perpetuity.   But to win next year.  Now winning next year and spending money, they dont exactly have to be mutually exclusive.  I expect deals that might make Kenny W go full staff but might make everyone a bit uncomfortable.  I could care less about Dunning.  But in the end they are all cattle to Jerry.  

• Love 1

A win now move without giving up Vaughn or kopech is huge. Not the return I was hoping for Dane, but this makes them favorites for the division and with another move or two they are legit series contenders. I applaud the stones, I just hope lynn extends another season or two to get some value back 

• Like 1

This is a bit of a disappointment if its not part of a broader more aggressive plan. This makes us better in 2021, but only marginally. If you go out and get a guy like Bauer I like this as a final piece. But even with Lynn onboard we're still short a big time arm. 

Edited by mac9001
  • Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic