Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Law said league average starter. Having 6 years of control of that is valuable.

This is a garbage trade and I don't even know yet which prospect they moved...I bet Stiever

Yeah, I don't like this. Refusal to pay for free agent pitching will shorten the window. If there's no extension, I really don't like this.

• Thanks 2

I like Lynn and he will be big for this rotation, having a possible Gio, Lynn, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease rotation come hopefully June would be pretty damn good. But man giving up Dunning is a blow, he is a very likable guy and seems like he would have been a good 3-4 starter for 5 years.

Now my question is who will we get for the next off-season with Lynn being a 1 year guy and Keuchel getting older

Edited by BigHurt3515
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Remember JR will burn the farm system to the ground if he can give up prospects over paying 9 figure FA demands.  Dont get too attached to anyone.  They are all ready to go.  TLR was hired not to win in perpetuity.   But to win next year.  Now winning next year and spending money, they dont exactly have to be mutually exclusive.  I expect deals that might make Kenny W go full staff but might make everyone a bit uncomfortable.  I could care less about Dunning.  But in the end they are all cattle to Jerry.  

Boom. This man speaketh the truth. 

• Like 1

Lynn, 33, has been excellent the last two years with the Rangers, delivering a combined 3.57 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, and 335 strikeouts in 292 1/3 innings (46 starts) while garnering down-ballot American League Cy Young Award votes.

But yeah we gave up a 26 year old with 7 starts and 34 IP under his arm so Soxtalk is getting out the pitchforks. /s

Negative reactions tonight are only one of two things: ignorant or insane. Can be both I guess. 

• Haha 3

Just now, BigHurt3515 said:

I like Lynn and he will be big for this rotation, having a possible Gio, Lynn, Keuchel, Kopech, Cease rotation come hopefully June would be pretty damn good. 

Now my question is who will we get for the next off-season with Lynn being a 1 year guy and Keuchel getting older

Texas has this prospect Dunning I'd trade for

3 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

This is a bit of a disappointment if its not part of a broader more aggressive plan. This makes us better in 2021, but only marginally. If you go out and get a guy like Bauer I like this as a final piece. But even with Lynn onboard we're still short a big time arm. 

It makes us more than marginally better in 21. But the long term value is definitely much better for the Rangers. 

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Mainly because he's a rental and will be 34 going into next year. One plus is he's pitching for his last contract.

I'm also just not a big fan of Lynn. He's a horse though and they needed one. 

Marquez, Darvish,  Snell and Gray had years and youth.

I absolutely hate trading a viable MLB asset for a one year rental. Next off season we're literally worse off with an owner who won't spend on pitching. Trying to plug a hole year after year this way just isn't a recipe for success.

100% agree on not liking the process, but I love me some Lance Lynn.

You can't keep hanging on to "prospects" when the time is now to win. Had to give up something for something. I don't mind the move at all. Dunning really hasn't proven he's middle of rotation guy quite yet. Love Dane and all...but at some point you have to give up some goods when your window is open.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

People calling him a bona-fide ace have lost their damn minds. Lance lynn has had one season in his career with an fWAR over 3.6. 

He had one great year in Texas after finding a cutter. There are a lot of examples of that not sustaining itself. One white sox fans are familiar with is Esteban Loiaza.

You can't seriously be comparing a guy who followed up a 3.38 era in 1000 inning with the cardinals with his performance since beginning of 2019 to Estaban Loiza. Not a fan of giving up long term control for a one year rental either, but no need to get absolutely ridiculous once again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Remember JR will burn the farm system to the ground if he can give up prospects over paying 9 figure FA demands.  Dont get too attached to anyone.  They are all ready to go.  TLR was hired not to win in perpetuity.   But to win next year.  Now winning next year and spending money, they dont exactly have to be mutually exclusive.  I expect deals that might make Kenny W go full staff but might make everyone a bit uncomfortable.  I could care less about Dunning.  But in the end they are all cattle to Jerry.  

We didn’t burn the farm system down. Relax! Dunning didn’t prove anything except for a winning record down the stretch but could he put that all together for a whole season while also being a workhorse in the playoffs is the question? We don’t know the answer to the first part of the question but in a likelyhood probably not but him lasting only an inning in the playoffs even though it was a bad managerial decision on RR’s part answers the second part of the question so we had to pull the trigger.

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, Steve9347 said:

Lynn, 33, has been excellent the last two years with the Rangers, delivering a combined 3.57 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, and 335 strikeouts in 292 1/3 innings (46 starts) while garnering down-ballot American League Cy Young Award votes.

But yeah we gave up a 26 year old with 7 starts and 34 IP under his arm so Soxtalk is getting out the pitchforks. /s

Negative reactions tonight are only one of two things: ignorant or insane. Can be both I guess. 

The problem is by this time next year we will have neither Dunning nor Lynn.

• Like 3

• bmags unpinned this topic