Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The problem is by this time next year we will have neither Dunning nor Lynn.

By this time next year, we have a better chance of hoping to open Sox World Champions gear on Christmas morning than we did 40 minutes ago. 

that’s the window we’re in now, not some pray the 26 year old nobody turns into the second coming window. 

Edited by Steve9347
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

We didn’t burn the farm system down. Relax! Dunning didn’t prove anything except for a winning record down the stretch but could he put that all together for a whole season is the question. Him lasting only an inning doesn’t look good even though it was a bad managerial decision on RR’s part.

What is more likely.  JR to open the pocket book to get premium free agents here.  Or Jerry to part with prospects in a trade no matter how they rank.  If you want to trade prospects, fine got get Snell.  He would be around for a lot longer than one year.  I know it costs more but getting one year of a pitcher for the beginning of a run is not sound logic at best.  Don't waste bullets on these moves that fix a hole for a year.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

One reason you know it’s an awful trade? The Sox have never been able to pull off such a trade in reverse. Hahn needs to trade an established player with multiple years of term left to get a good young cost controlled player. He’d never be able to do this trade.

What on earth am I reading here. This is Dane Dunning ffs. Hahn turned Jose Quintana into Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease. Am I in the twilight zone?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

You can't seriously be comparing a guy who followed up a 3.38 era in 1000 inning with the cardinals with his performance since beginning of 2019 to Estaban Loiza. Not a fan of giving up long term control for a one year rental either, but no need to get absolutely ridiculous once again.

His career high fWAR before the last full rangers season was 3.6. Why are you citing his ERA? 

Their careers WAR before their cy young seasons were nearly identical. 

What are you talking about exactly? It's a great comparison. I dont trust cutter longevity at all. Many cases of guys not maintaining it for extended periods. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I’m happy these food accounts and Cishek seemed to earn a bit of cred today. Even if they were all lucky, this makes the offseason way more fun.  No national writer had a hint out until it happened.

Because national writers generally don’t speculate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

One reason you know it’s an awful trade? The Sox have never been able to pull off such a trade in reverse. Hahn needs to trade an established player with multiple years of term left to get a good young cost controlled player. He’d never be able to do this trade.

I don't know....ask most around the league what player gives the Sox a better chance next October...Dunning or Lance Lynn?  There's you answer.

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

What is more likely.  JR to open the pocket book to get premium free agents here.  Or Jerry to part with prospects in a trade no matter how they rank.  If you want to trade prospects, fine got get Snell.  He would be around for a lot longer than one year.  I know it costs more but getting one year of a pitcher for the beginning of a run is not sound logic at best.  Don't waste bullets on these moves that fix a hole for a year.  

They viewed 3 guys as untouchable, which makes blockbuster deals impossible. 

I get being a bit upset seeing a guy like dunning go but It’s mind blowing to hear anybody whine or complain about this deal. You’re getting a proven workhorse, veteran leader with playoff experience. He’s gonna save so many young bullpen arms going 200+ innings. You’re rolling out Giolito Keuchel and Lynn in the playoffs for a team that has done nothing for 16 years. Wtf is there to be so mad about?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

By this time next year, we have a better chance of hoping to open Sox World Champions gear on Christmas morning than we did 40 minutes ago. 

that’s the window we’re in now, not some pray the 26 year old nobody turns into the second coming window. 

I guess we are into the portion where we start taking years off the back end because they are scared to spend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic