Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

What on earth am I reading here. This is Dane Dunning ffs. Hahn turned Jose Quintana into Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease. Am I in the twilight zone?

He did that because Q had years of control left. The one year rental is part of the problem people are having here. And Cub fans didn't like that deal and we're right.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

What is more likely.  JR to open the pocket book to get premium free agents here.  Or Jerry to part with prospects in a trade no matter how they rank.  If you want to trade prospects, fine got get Snell.  He would be around for a lot longer than one year.  I know it costs more but getting one year of a pitcher for the beginning of a run is not sound logic at best.  Don't waste bullets on these moves that fix a hole for a year.  

Not if they extend Lynn.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It makes us more than marginally better in 21. But the long term value is definitely much better for the Rangers. 

There's an elevated level of risk with a 34 year old. If we're going to spend $10M on a RFer and another $10M for one more back end rotation vet I would have preferred spending top dollar on a TOR arm like Bauer and rolling the dice with Dunning and Engel. To me Lynn is a get to the post season move, its not a WS move. That's why I consider it marginal. This could have been a WS move if we already had another TOR in fold. 

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

What on earth am I reading here. This is Dane Dunning ffs. Hahn turned Jose Quintana into Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease. Am I in the twilight zone?

Quintana was an extremely valuable commodity at the time and there were numerous suitors. This trade we maybe win the trade next year and lose substantially after that. If he were an ace I’d be ok, but “This is Lance Lynn ffs”.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

You have 3 legit innings eaters and still a shit load of young arms. It’s a risky move but the sky is falling is a bit much. 

I don’t think anyone really is saying the sky is falling. It’s just a poor value move and further exhibits the Sox unwillingness to just spend money rather than using valuable assets to acquire underpaid players. It’s gross. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

One reason you know it’s an awful trade? The Sox have never been able to pull off such a trade in reverse. Hahn needs to trade an established player with multiple years of term left to get a good young cost controlled player. He’d never be able to do this trade.

that's because he can't trade with the White Sox.

• Haha 1

This is a crap trade! Now we still have to go get a arm to replace Dunning. Not sure Kopech is ready. How are we going to look a year from now? Lynn walks. Hahn and the FO making trades always scares me. Yes we've made good trades. And that's when we blow it up and trade stars for prospects in return. But when we trade prospects for veterans that's a different thing completely. Young, the new Texas GM, has been a great hire! They've go to be ecstatic. Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic