Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t think anyone really is saying the sky is falling. It’s just a poor value move and further exhibits the Sox unwillingness to just spend money rather than using valuable assets to acquire underpaid players. It’s gross. 

This. No sane person can miss how good Lynn is. But the Sox best seasons are still 2 to 5 years down the road with this core.

• Like 1

Sox fans will NEVER change. 

1. For all the reasons talked about ad nauseam already, the Sox were not going to be players for Springer or Bauer. Would it have been great? Sure, but so would have Harper, Cole, Machado, the list goes on. It's not how the Sox do business, never have. Deal with it or move on. 

2. More importantly......The Sox don't need to make a splash. We've become so used to winning the offseason and being trash by July. The foundation is finally in place. The Sox are going to win the World Series with Giolito-Robert-Moncada-Eloy-Grandal-Timmy leading the way. This is the core. Right now they need to add depth to bring this thing to the finish line. Using a guy like Dane Dunning is how you do that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

They got him for the postseason and to save the bullpen during the season. 

I don't like trading a solid prospect for an old few month rental, with a 4.8 Playoff ERA.

And for the record, Kenny or Hahn have little to no say at this point, just like they had little to no say in the LaRussa debacle. They collect their checks and keep their mouth shut and smile on cue.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

1. For all the reasons talked about ad nauseam already, the Sox were not going to be players for Springer or Bauer. Would it have been great? Sure, but so would have Harper, Cole, Machado, the list goes on. It's not how the Sox do business, never have. Deal with it or move on. 

2. More importantly......The Sox don't need to make a splash. We've become so used to winning the offseason and being trash by July. The foundation is finally in place. The Sox are going to win the World Series with Giolito-Robert-Moncada-Eloy-Grandal-Timmy leading the way. This is the core. Right now they need to add depth to bring this thing to the finish line. Using a guy like Dane Dunning is how you do that. 

I’m happy they traded Dunning instead of Cease.  I’d rather keep the higher ceiling guy.  Like you mentioned, Dunning is not someone who was going to be a reason they succeed or fail.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why do people act like Sox just can’t to find a pitcher next offseason to replace Lynn?  They will know more about virus/attendance issues and should have virtually no offensive holes to fill.

People are out of their minds. It's a good trade for both sides - especially if Hahn gets an extension done. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

They SHOULD sign Bauer, that was the whole point of this rebuild. To go out and BUY the last pieces to stack on the cost controlled core. Sacrificing cost controlled assets for rentals is strictly counterintuitive to the entire concept. Keep Dunning, sign Bauer, dominate. Why is that hard?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The beauty is an extension for 2 seasons should be very reasonable money wise as well. That is the silver lining to this. 5 years of dunning for 3 of Lynn eases the blow to all those whining. 

I agree. I don’t get all the complaining. We just acquired a number 2 starter for someone that we don’t know where he’s going to be a couple years from now. His value was already high as is. 

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Quintana was an extremely valuable commodity at the time and there were numerous suitors. This trade we maybe win the trade next year and lose substantially after that. If he were an ace I’d be ok, but “This is Lance Lynn ffs”.

My brother moved to NC a while ago. Did you grow up in Aurora?

• bmags unpinned this topic