Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

People can say what they want. For example, you can post this despite its inaccuracies and sadly no one can make you do some research first. You get to click. The agreement, however, is we get to reply. 

Adding a legitimate workhorse ace over Dunning and his career 34 innings and inability to go 6 is a marginal upgrade for this season is the shittest of takes ive read in awhile. 

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong and I can come back and eat crow. We have to project forward and obviously there’s upside with Dunning (health and term) and downside with Lynn given his age. You acting like it’s a foregone conclusion it’s a good deal is a huge leap of faith.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

What a Trumpian way of spinning 26 into a bad number, a full recovery from TJ into a medical red flag, a sinkerballers typical velocity into something low, and a first round draft pick into a toss in.  

All fair points for both of us.   Only one of these guys is going to throw more than 120 IP in 2021 for $8M

40 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

His career high fWAR before the last full rangers season was 3.6. Why are you citing his ERA? 

Their careers WAR before their cy young seasons were nearly identical. 

What are you talking about exactly? It's a great comparison. I dont trust cutter longevity at all. Many cases of guys not maintaining it for extended periods. 

In the five years immediately prior to Loaiza's breakout with the Sox he had a total of 5.5 WAR with an ERA over five, that's 1.1 per year compared to a guy who put up an average over 3 WAR with a 3.38 ERA. Then Lynn followed up a 7.8 war season with another strong albeit shortened season, whereas Loaiza followed his breakout with .9 WAR season. Loaiza had full seasons of 0.1, 0.4, and 0.6 WAR around that 3.7 WAR season and only one other season above 2, out of 8 seasons. If you think that's a reasonable comparison I'm not surprised honestly, but yeah pretty garbage comparison.

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

You’re clearly ignorant of how good Lance Lynn is. Take a moment to educate yourself and then come back here. He puts any season Quintana’s thrown to complete shame. 

It seems you are. You keep calling a guy with one great year in his career an ace. The rest of his career he's been a nice #3 who certainly wasn't carrying anyone in the playoffs with his 4.8 ERA.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Lance Lynn in game 2 of a playoff series is a massive win over anyone else on the roster, even Keuchel.  So for next year.  Massive upgrade.  They need to pen him to a multiyear deal.  Because if its just for one year then we are back to trading more prospects next offseason to fill the same hole.  

Yup, pretty much this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Typically you can use this thing called cash to get people to play in places they would never dream of playing.  If its equal or close sure a choice might be made.  But in the end FA dollars matter.  So this is not really about FA not wanting to show up here.  Its because our ownership thinks that deferred dollars and team options late in your career are more valuable that guaranteed money and years from competing teams.  If the Royals pony up the highest amount of money by a good amount Bauer is putting on a Royals uniform and talking about how its a young exciting team and how he has always loved KC.  

I don’t disagree that the Sox did not handle Machado correctly and have probably botched PLENTY of FA signings in the past. We definitely don’t know all the details. But we do know that Wheeler turned down more money to play elsewhere.  So it isn’t ALWAYS about the money.

They also know what Bauer is asking for/looking at. He is a very particular person and it could be something very specific. We have no idea with him.  I am just saying it isn’t as easy to say just sign any FA we want. 

3 minutes ago, Vulture said:

In the five years immediately prior to Loaiza's breakout with the Sox he had a total of 5.5 WAR with an ERA over five, that's 1.1 per year compared to a guy who put up an average over 3 WAR with a 3.38 ERA.. Then Lynn followed up a 7.8 war season with another strong albeit shortened season. After Loaiza's 3.7 war season with the pirates, he had multiple negative war seasons and a 0.2 war season, in addition to that five year run of 1.1 per season. If you think that's a reasonable comparison I'm not surprised honestly, but yeah pretty garbage comparison 

I dont use baseball reference war for pitchers. I use it for position players and I use fWAR for pitchers as its more predictive. I've made that pretty clear nearly every time I've cited the stat.

In the 5 years prior he had a 10.8 fWAar not 5.5.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

• bmags unpinned this topic