Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

Since I just heard of Weems the other day after the #10 announcement, should I be upset?  I'm going to say yes as this is another example of why the hell did you even have to throw anyone else in the deal, Hahn?  It's like a bad late night infomercial:  We will trade you Dane Dunning....but wait there's more!!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

One thing to add to this...with next year's rotation... What FA would not want to sign with the white sox now? If I am Bauer this would jazz me up. Not saying they get springer or Bauer out of this.... But it shows the teams window is exactly right now. As a fan that is exciting.

Ones that want to maximize lots of money and lots of years making lots of money.  Thats who.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

One of the publications (baseball prospectus i think) inexplicably had him ranked #10 in our system so some comments have been made about him in the last couple of days

Thanks. Been mostly scanning lately. 

2 minutes ago, Steve9347 said:

You don’t get the guaranteed producers by never dealing away prospects expecting everyone to turn into Shane Bieber. Also there’s nothing in the advanced metrics nor in how they pitch they likens Dunning to Bieber. Completely insane take. 

He's a rental. Not every low 90s pitcher with good control and movement is going to turn into Bieber, but to call it "completely insane" is quite a stretch. Even if he's a 3 as people suggest his "ceiling" is, 6 years of that is more valuable than 1 year of Lynn, even if he performs like a 1.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

This has the Fernando Tatis Jr trade written all over it. Dunning becomes Bieber, Lynn flops.

You guys know dunning is older than Bieber right?

Also Lance Lynn is good and Shields was not. 

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, zisk said:

Earl Weaver is spinning in his grave right now.

Hell, Joe Altobelli pwned Tony's ass the last time the drunk was here. The one good thing Hawk Harrelson ever did for the White Sox and Jerry had to go screw that up as well.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

3 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

So would a draft pick be attached to lynn if he leaves in free agency?  If so, then it isnt as bad as im thinking

You wanna offer a 34 year old a close to 1 year/$20 mill deal? That's about what the QO will be (if its even a thing in the next CBA).

Edit: he may have received a QO in a prior offseason so he wouldn't be eligible.

Edited by manbearpuig

1 minute ago, SouthWallace said:

I get it, I dont love it, and if Lynn bounces elsewhere I will hate it.  Win now upgrade but created another hole in the rotation to fill it.  Still need another starter.  Hope those years of control given away don't haunt them.  

I feel ya but I think people are overestimating how many innings Dunning was pencilled in for next year.  100?  Maybe 120?  

So 3 years until he’d be a potential horse, assuming he doesn’t get shelled.  

I think we traded at peak Dunning value

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic