Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, he was a rookie coming off TJS who had spent like half a season in AA.  He was pretty damn impressive all things considered.

This is true, but I think we’d all be better served throwing out 2020 analytically on some level for just about everyone. 

Edited by mqr

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Dunning is worth 2.5 WAR per season for the Rangers and Lynn is worth 5 WAR in 2021 and walks after this year they still traded away 10 WAR for nothing over 6 years. 

Reynaldo Lopez was worth 2.7 WAR in 2019. This is ridiculous. 

So the rangers were supposed to expect a “5 WAR over 6 years” pitcher in return for Lance Lynn?

A reliever?

I don’t think that’s how trading works. 

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

"Ceiling" is bullshit, lots of players in MLB history have vastly exceeded their "ceiling". 6 years of Dunning for 1 year of Lynn is stupid. If you can extend Lynn for relatively cheap and get 3 years of ace out of him, then it would be worth it, but he didn't come with an extension, or a guarantee that he'd pitch at his relatively newly discovered ace level.

"Lots of" history is also littered with far more guys exactly like Dunning that didn't reach their ceiling and peaked in their first few starts and were soon relegated to journeymen and hung on for a few back end rotation / bullpen seasons. There is nothing special about Dunning. If you can get a proven horse like Lynn for him you do it in a heartbeat.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

"Ceiling" is bullshit, lots of players in MLB history have vastly exceeded their "ceiling". 6 years of Dunning for 1 year of Lynn is stupid. If you can extend Lynn for relatively cheap and get 3 years of ace out of him, then it would be worth it, but he didn't come with an extension, or a guarantee that he'd pitch at his relatively newly discovered ace level.

If we can extend Lynn and get 3 years of ace out of him, he will be worth...Dane Dunning?

Cmon

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

This is true, but I think we’d all be better served throwing out 2020 analytically on some level for just about everyone. 

He also faced No one as the sox protected him. 

I like command pitchers, especially guys who can command 4 of them. I think its the most underrated quality of a SP in scouting circles currently.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Dunning is worth 2.5 WAR per season for the Rangers and Lynn is worth 5 WAR in 2021 and walks after this year they still traded away 10 WAR for nothing over 6 years. 

Reynaldo Lopez was worth 2.7 WAR in 2019. This is ridiculous. 

Not all WAR is treated equal, but this is a trade we could easily lose from a lifetime surplus value perspective.  That being said, baseballtradevalues says we won this trade and that’s all that matters!

• Like 1

So the running theory in the other thread due to the food groups twitter is that it was either Dunning+ for Darvish+Heyward or Dunning+ for Lynn.  And if thats the case then I am livid.  Not because of Dunning, fuck Dunning.  But Darvish is a better pitcher and is signed to a longer term deal.  Heyward solidifies RF for a few years.  In the end if money was selected over a better return then once again we got jobbed. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

"Lots of" history is also littered with far more guys exactly like Dunning that didn't reach their ceiling and peaked in their first few starts and were soon relegated to journeymen and hung on for a few back end rotation / bullpen seasons. There is nothing special about Dunning. If you can get a proven horse like Lynn for him you do it in a heartbeat.  

There is absolutely something special about him if he can actually command 4 pitches with average stuff. Hard to say if that's real given his competition last year. 

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, he was a rookie coming off TJS who had spent like half a season in AA.  He was pretty damn impressive all things considered.

Except when it mattered most. He was barreled more and more as teams could see his stuff. Sox fans will claim "tired arm and misuse" but he couldn't pitch one scoreless inning when he had to. Facts. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

So the running theory in the other thread due to the food groups twitter is that it was either Dunning+ for Darvish+Heyward or Dunning+ for Lynn.  And if thats the case then I am livid.  Not because of Dunning, fuck Dunning.  But Darvish is a better pitcher and is signed to a longer term deal.  Heyward solidifies RF for a few years.  In the end if money was selected over a better return then once again we got jobbed. 

Dude it’s $8M vs $124M.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He also faced No one as the sox protected him. 

I like command pitchers, especially guys who can command 4 of them. I think its the most underrated quality of a SP in scouting circles currently.

Yeah, I just think huge swings like Moncada and Abreu should be taken with a grain of salt. And newcomers like Dunning were mostly just noise just strictly from a projection standpoint. 

There’s probably some merit in continued trends ie Anderson, Giolito and Lopez though. 

Edited by mqr
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

He's 34. He's not likely to ever be as good as he was last year again. 

That’s not the point.  Dude said the only way this trade is worth it is if we get 3 years of an ace.  

Like Dunning is worth not 1 year of DeGrom.  No no.  3 years of ace.  That’s how great of a prospect Dunning is.  GMAFB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

That’s a ton of money if the Cubs weren’t covering any of it

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Was the + the same in Weems?

• bmags unpinned this topic