Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

Lol this is hilarious to wake up to.

Tried to stay up for one thing and miss the real stuff.

I can’t really process the Dunning loss yet, just LMAO at Avery Weems. Now I feel a special attachment to him. Our tenth overall prospect!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm pretty much down the middle on this move. I really liked Dunning but Lynn is awesome and it feels good to be on this side of trades again. Hoping we can extend him for another year or two though. Lynn, Joc, and Q would be a good offseason. All three are very underrated on this board IMO

K yes this is me.

I really, really liked that DD threw strikes after past few years of our prospects.

But that it’s essentially just Dunning is pretty good to me. Still a lotta nerves about cease / kopech needing to really contribute but...they also can. 

I know it’s likely but man, I’d much rather go old man ace with Kluber or Hamels for a year than Q.

2 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Actually, let’s do one better than Musgrove and trade for Wheeler as long as the prospect return is minimal. A rotation of Giolito, Wheeler, Keuchel, Lynn, Cease/Kopech would be deadly.

That wheeler stuff is done. Their owner is crazy and shut it down way harder than necessary. Sounds like they will only add.

18 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Adding Musgrove as the #4 likely makes this team the AL favorite in 2021. Which team is better? Assuming Rays trade Snell still. Yankees rotation is in disarray and Sox offense is just as good with a competent RF and DH.

Rays may not trade snell, but the thing with the Rays is they are likely to add the #1 prospect in Wander Franco and have a number of pitchers which may also come up.

But, Musgrove is great to me because he's going to come in and throw strikes, and he succeeded in Pittsburgh which is wild!

And he's got control for the control heads.

Giolito, Lynn, Keuchel, Musgrove, Kopech...that's exciting.

NSC, ACB and Portillos deserve props for calling this but we should all give props to Harold as well. He was the one that said that Texas was trying to include their World Series hero (Andrus) in the deal which most likely would’ve netted us Gallo as well but as we all know now that part of the deal fell through. This all ended up being legit.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

Rays may not trade snell, but the thing with the Rays is they are likely to add the #1 prospect in Wander Franco and have a number of pitchers which may also come up.

But, Musgrove is great to me because he's going to come in and throw strikes, and he succeeded in Pittsburgh which is wild!

And he's got control for the control heads.

Giolito, Lynn, Keuchel, Musgrove, Kopech...that's exciting.

Rays might still be better in that scenario but not by much. And don’t forget the Sox add their #1 prospect as well as Kopech and (hopefully) several free agents so I think the gap between the two teams is closing.

I like Dunning a lot, but this makes the Sox so much better in 2021.  If Katz can help Cease with his control and guide Kopech back to where he was, There are no holes in the rotation.  I still think the Sox sign or trade for one more SP, so things will look even better.

I understand the dislike of the trade because it's for one year of Lynn.  If the Sox can extend him for another year or two on a friendly deal, the trade looks better.  What Lynn is getting paid next year is a sweet deal and allows the Sox to spend elsewhere, whether it's for another SP, a bullpen piece, or a RFer.

This is what I look at to make me feel even better about this trade:
Giolito
Lynn
Keuchel
Cease/Kopech/Lopez/Stiever

Add Quintana or Musgrove, and that's a rotation that gives you confidence every start.

I like Dunning but you have to trade talent to get it.

With that said this a now move (unless an extension is coming which is an unknown) so we better see an upgrade at RF, good BP piece, and another SP. SP I like Musgrove but man do we not have much depth. I'd rather sign Q.

I'd be very happy with: 

Lynn + 2 yr extension 

Q

Joc

Colome

I'd like to upgrade DH until Vaughn is ready but who? No way Brantley signs to play temp DH and then on bench. 

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Rays might still be better in that scenario but not by much. And don’t forget the Sox add their #1 prospect as well as Kopech and (hopefully) several free agents so I think the gap between the two teams is closing.

Disagree there, Franco is a generational prospect. He's like adding an Acuna or Soto to a team that won a world series.

2 minutes ago, HakunaMachado said:

I like the Lynn deal. Assume joc is next today or tomorrow ?

NSC tweeted last night that Joc is next.  I assume he's the outfielder they've been working on signing.  NSC and the food accounts grabbed some credibility last night.  Let's see what happens...

• Like 3

Wow, tale of two boards—it seems like everyone who slept likes the deal.  😊

Assuming we use the financial flexibility Lynn’s contract affords in order to fill our other needs this offseason I’m at peace with this.  It’s exciting to see a playoff caliber rotation coming together.  

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

I love Dunning, but ultimately he was not in the top tier in the Sox’s view.  I think they still have Cease and Kopech ahead of him, and they like Crochet and Kelley more as well. Plus, he’s 26.  Maybe we’ve seen his upside?  It’s a great trade for the Rangers, but I can see why the Sox would do it. 

• bmags unpinned this topic