Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

Here's how I'm evaluating any trade for this year. 

Which player do I want on the road in game 6 of the world series? If it's the guy we got, I'm fine with the trade.  If I don't want the guy that left, even better. 

I can't think of a guy that fits that mold that isn't also a guy to get us to that point. 

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I love Dunning, but ultimately he was not in the top tier in the Sox’s view.  I think they still have Cease and Kopech ahead of him, and they like Crochet and Kelley more as well. Plus, he’s 26.  Maybe we’ve seen his upside?  It’s a great trade for the Rangers, but I can see why the Sox would do it. 

He also missed all of 2019 due to TJ and no minor league games in 2020 to work his way back from. Don't think we saw his complete upside.

Having said that, I don't hate the move.

If you think this is overpaying,  wait until the trade deadline and the team needs a piece.  You got two old timers in key decision making positions who want that feeling one more time. There is no 2022 in their plans. 

5 hours ago, longshot7 said:

I heard a Rangers podcast speculate Lynn might be willing to extend if traded to the right place.  We'll see. -- not like the Sox to trade for a rental without a plan.

If they can extend Lynn for two more years, that puts the pitching staff in a pretty damn good spot in the near term to be completely honest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm pretty much down the middle on this move. I really liked Dunning but Lynn is awesome and it feels good to be on this side of trades again. Hoping we can extend him for another year or two though. Lynn, Joc, and Q would be a good offseason. All three are very underrated on this board IMO

I truly feel with this move they go out and add an impact reliever like Hendriks as well.

1 hour ago, Baron said:
1 hour ago, Baron said:

I can’t believe I just read this move doesn’t fill any holes. 

In truth, it kinda doesn't. There was a hole in the rotation and we moved a piece of the rotation to address it. Granted, it will be easier to fill a hole at SP4 than at SP2.

The bigger concern for me is that, as it stands now, after 2021 we'll be without both Dunning AND Lynn.

Edited by oneofthemikes

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

In truth, it kinda doesn't. There was a hole in the rotation and we moved a piece of the rotation to address it. Granted, it will be easier to fill a hole at SP4 than at SP2.

Yeah see that's why context matters. It's not a linear move. One pitcher right now is far far better than the other. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm pretty much down the middle on this move. I really liked Dunning but Lynn is awesome and it feels good to be on this side of trades again. Hoping we can extend him for another year or two though. Lynn, Joc, and Q would be a good offseason. All three are very underrated on this board IMO

This sums up my feelings as well. I think Dunning is gonna be a very solid #3 but it will be a while before he's really pushing that. By then the Sox would have Kopech, Crochet and possibly a fixed Cease already in line with higher ceilings. I would still think the Sox will be inclined to work out an extension with Lynn, him at the back of the rotation wouldn't be bad at all.

Go get Brantley/Joc, another starter, and Hendriks and go win the ALC and beyond

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

Disagree there, Franco is a generational prospect. He's like adding an Acuna or Soto to a team that won a world series.

He’s 19. He great but assuming he will produce like Acuna or Soto in 2021 is a big assumption. Moncada was a generational talent too and struggled mightily as a 22 year old rookie.

17 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If you think this is overpaying,  wait until the trade deadline and the team needs a piece.  You got two old timers in key decision making positions who want that feeling one more time. There is no 2022 in their plans. 

And as fathom has mentioned repeatedly, I’d be thrilled if this team is one and done like the cubs (in terms of World Series wins within this contention window).

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He’s 19. He great but assuming he will produce like Acuna or Soto in 2021 is a big assumption. Moncada was a generational talent too and struggled mightily as a 22 year old rookie.

Moncada had swing and miss issues. Franco has a contact tool like Madrigal except has power. He has an insanely good approach.

5 hours ago, longshot7 said:

I heard a Rangers podcast speculate Lynn might be willing to extend if traded to the right place.  We'll see. -- not like the Sox to trade for a rental without a plan.

No one is better at the extension game than Hahn.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If Dunning is worth 2.5 WAR per season for the Rangers and Lynn is worth 5 WAR in 2021 and walks after this year they still traded away 10 WAR for nothing over 6 years. 

Reynaldo Lopez was worth 2.7 WAR in 2019. This is ridiculous. 

I love this post because it doesn't make the point it thinks it does.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

And as fathom has mentioned repeatedly, I’d be thrilled if this team is one and done like the cubs (in terms of World Series wins within this contention window).

Seven different teams have won the last seven World Series.  One and done is the standard in the current MLB.

• Like 2

• bmags unpinned this topic