Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

26 minutes ago, tray said:

The trade  reconfirms that the Sox are in a win now mode ....as in win in 2021.

That strategy requires a myopic view  of our talent pool that we are not used to having.

It is a move that prioritizes 2021 over long-term depth, for sure, but I don't think it signals a total "win-now" mode just yet.  I'm actually really encouraged they didn't go out and start trading the Vaughns and Kopechs of the world, which I was afraid was on the table this offseason.  We safeguarded our most valuable young assets.  There's still plenty of paths to sustainable winning here.

• Like 2

To those who think that somehow this is a move to entice Bauer, rather than the plainly obvious move it is to avoid paying Bauer, I will admit that if this trade somehow entices Bauer to sign with the White Sox, I will completely change my opinion on it. The likelihood of that happening, however, is slim to none, and slim has made its way toward the exits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

It is a move that prioritizes 2021 over long-term depth, for sure, but I don't think it signals a total "win-now" mode just yet.  I'm actually really encouraged they didn't go out and start trading the Vaughns and Kopechs of the world, which I was afraid was on the table this offseason.  We safeguarded our most valuable young assets.  There's still plenty of paths to sustainable winning here.

Great point

5 minutes ago, Texsox said:

"I want to lose in the first round of the playoffs for five straight seasons instead of winning one world series" said almost no fan ever. 

When I posed that question several years ago, the popular answer was not what you think. Of course those answering were frustrated Sox fans who had the one title.

I don't know how many years Lynn has left. He has been solid. He too had TJS and missed 2016. At least the coaching staff in 2020 held Dunning in higher regard than Cease and Lopez, of course not much because as soon as he gave up a hit they had someone warming up. I think Dunning is going to be solid. Lynn has bee real good. He wasn't so good after the trade deadline last year. We will still. He's LaRussa's new Lamar Hoyt.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When I posed that question several years ago, the popular answer was not what you think. Of course those answering were frustrated Sox fans who had the one title.

When you're putting up strings of 60 and 70 win seasons  being competitive does seem like a dream. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

Wow. Some of the takes in this thread are just unreal. Dane Dunning flashed potential. So what?

Lance Lynn is a bonafide ace who can throw 120 pitches every start. He’s the exact type of horse you bring in when you want to win a World Series. 

my only regret is they didn’t make this trade a few months ago because we’d have beaten the A’s. 

Agree totally, while perhaps not a bonafide ace, he is a horse who carries a nice WHIP to go along with reliability.  Dunning was a work in progress, this team needs winners to get it across the finish line.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This is just the kind of move that would make us look like we are serious about winning to Bauer.

I am sure he will think we are serious about winning if we offer Trevor $$$...spend the free agent money on pitching and I am fine with rolling out a defensive outfielder in RF in Engel...with a starting staff of Giolito, Bauer, Lynn, Keuchel we have more than enough offense to win the division and make a playoff run this year!!!

• Love 1

So, if I'm catching the drift of the thread correctly, the Sox will barely make the playoffs (if they even do) and will then be swept in the first round for the next few years...because they traded Dane Dunning.

I get it, and I do think Dunning will be solid for Texas.  But he was one piece, and Lynn drastically improves the rotation.

Just now, hogan873 said:

So, if I'm catching the drift of the thread correctly, the Sox will barely make the playoffs (if they even do) and will then be swept in the first round for the next few years...because they traded Dane Dunning.

I get it, and I do think Dunning will be solid for Texas.  But he was one piece, and Lynn drastically improves the rotation.

If you haven't noticed this forum clutches onto prospects like their dead grandmothers jewelry. They expect good players for trash. 

• Like 3

I just hope Lynn is better for the Sox than the last older fat pitcher who threw a lot of innings, they traded for, David Wells.

The issue I have with this trade is Lynn is a one year guy. if he is good, and the Sox win, it's a good deal but,he will cost too much for JR.  If he is good and the Sox don't win, it isn't a good deal. If he is bad, it's a bad deal. If he gets hurt, it's a bad deal. But sometimes you have to roll the dice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baron said:

If you haven't noticed this forum clutches onto prospects like their dead grandmothers jewelry. They expect good players for trash. 

Dunning is a Major Leaguer even if hes a bit shy of losing prospect ranking status.  The term "prospect" does not effectively describe the level of Dunnings development nor does it describe the much lower risk of failure in his case.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic