Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

For anyone else like me that either doesn't like Lynn or didn't want to move Dunning and is looking for a reason to accept or even like the trade, let's look at what some of our opponents have to say about it:

Twins Reddit -

"A) fuck. Good trade for the WS and they addressed a huge need for a reasonable cost"

Texas fans -

"We got a pitcher with a history of recent TJS. What else is new?I Ihope this pans out."

"His value spiked a bit last year, too, which is a mild concern. Sox are selling high."

"White Sox look so good right now except for their manager."

"To be fair, we don't know exactly what the white sox gave up yet. And I just don’t think the league was ever going to value Lynn as an ace."

"Sox fans melting down they gave up six years of Dunning for one year of a MORP. I love the internet."

BONUS nod for the fanboys:

"I am a tiny bit devastated we didn’t wrangle Yermin from them." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The captivation with team control is getting out of control. 

It's not JUST team control. It's giving up team control and only getting one year in return for it. If this doesn't work out they'll need to replace both Dunning and Lynn a year from now.

6 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

This has nothing to do with that trade. This is all about value NOW. To me the value of having Dunning for 6 years is much greater than Lynn for 1. I don’t think Lynn for 1 is worth it... ok??? Yes Lynn will most likely be better this year but that’s all you get. To me it’s a very short sighted move and worth booing. And bringing up the Eaton trade doesn’t change anything about how it’s looked at today. I get that some will see it differently and that’s ok. I really hope this move doesn’t come back to bight us.

Maybe.  Dunning as a solid #3 MLB piece for 6 years is a greater value.  But we don't know that's what he is based on a handful of starts in a whacked-out season. 

I think a lot of folks on this board are accounting for risks associated with Lynn while ignoring the considerable risk associated with relying on Dane Dunning as a core part of this rotation in 2021 (which actually isn't even possible given the likely limit on the innings he can provide) and going forward.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yesterday333 said:

For 1 year. I don’t think 6 years of Dunning is worth. Like I said I hope this doesn’t come back to bight us cuz I think that’s a very real possibility. I get why you like it but I don’t.

Come on. Saying you getting a better player just so nonchalant  is silly. He's a much much better player. That's why he's worth Dunning and he's cheap. We have a good chance of going into any playoff series with an advantage in starting pitching. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vulture said:

Can we discuss Weems magically appearing at #10, a guy who is clearly more like a borderline top thirty at best, on BP's prospect list shortly before being included in this deal? Surely a major league baseball team isn't using a publication like BP as reference, yet this is quite the coincidence. Do the Sox have an inside man at BP? All I know is I'm taking their rankings with a massive shaker full of salt when preparing for a fantasy draft after this.

Same thought here.  Vulture not yet answered.

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

For anyone else like me that either doesn't like Lynn or didn't want to move Dunning and is looking for a reason to accept or even like the trade, let's look at what some of our opponents have to say about it:

Twins Reddit -

"A) fuck. Good trade for the WS and they addressed a huge need for a reasonable cost"

Texas fans -

"We got a pitcher with a history of recent TJS. What else is new?I Ihope this pans out."

"His value spiked a bit last year, too, which is a mild concern. Sox are selling high."

"To be fair, we don't know exactly what the white sox gave up yet. And I just don’t think the league was ever going to value Lynn as an ace."

"Sox fans melting down they gave up six years of Dunning for one year of a MORP. I love the internet."

Very fair take. And lol at that last one.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

They're gonna make Katz earn his keep because he's gonna have to fill two spots in the 2022 rotation. lol

This could absolutely be the case with or with out Dane.  We literally have 0 idea what Dunning is at this point.  I know people liked what they saw from him in a super small sample size but that's all that was, a super small sample size.

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

Maybe.  Dunning as a solid #3 MLB piece for 6 years is a greater value.  But we don't know that's what he is based on a handful of starts in a whacked-out season. 

I think a lot of folks on this board are accounting for risks associated with Lynn while ignoring the considerable risk associated with relying on Dane Dunning as a core part of this rotation in 2021 (which actually isn't even possible given the likely limit on the innings he can provide) and going forward.  

It’s not about relying on him. I can definitely see a path where he is good and we don’t even need him. I just don’t think this was worth it but I understand why others do.

6 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Twins Reddit -

Texas fans -

A YERMIN SIGHTING

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Twins Reddit -

Texas fans -

Armchair GM's twisting themselves in knots.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

Come on. Saying you getting a better player just so nonchalant  is silly. He's a much much better player. That's why he's worth Dunning and he's cheap. We have a good chance of going into any playoff series with an advantage in starting pitching. 

It is not silly...  yes we get the better player now but nothing after this year. Next year they still have a pitcher and we will be looking to replace a tor. In 5 years they still have a pitcher who could be a tor and we have nothing. Like I said I get why you like it but you’re not gonna convince me to like it. 

This is for 2021. Every time the Sox trade for a guy in the last year of his contract it's "oh, he's going to sign an extension". David Wells didn't sign an extension. Bartolo Colon didn't sign an extension. Jeff Samarzidja didn't sign an extension. I would imagine Lance Lynn won't sign an extension. Even Paul Konerko didn't sign an extension. So it's 2021 or bust with Lynn, because if he pitches well enough you want to keep him around for 2022 and beyond, you know JR has other plans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, yesterday333 said:

It is not silly...  yes we get the better player now but nothing after this year. Next year they still have a pitcher and we will be looking to replace a tor. In 5 years they still have a pitcher who could be a tor and we have nothing. Like I said I get why you like it but you’re not gonna convince me to like it. 

See the getting the better player this year I'm not discounting to the point where it's doom and gloom next year. 

9 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Twins Reddit -

Texas fans -

Proof that fans-all fans-think they should something for nothing, or very little anyway.  Texas fans were probably salivating thinking they could get Kopech or Vaughn for Lynn, and Sox fans wanted to ship a B prospect for Lynn.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

This is for 2021. Every time the Sox trade for a guy in the last year of his contract it's "oh, he's going to sign an extension". David Wells didn't sign an extension. Bartolo Colon didn't sign an extension. Jeff Samarzidja didn't sign an extension. I would imagine Lance Lynn won't sign an extension. Even Paul Konerko didn't sign an extension. So it's 2021 or bust with Lynn, because if he pitches well enough you want to keep him around for 2022 and beyond, you know JR has other plans.

Yep after the Shark debacle, I gave up on hoping for extensions.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Agreed here.  Definitely don't see an extension coming.

13 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Twins Reddit -

Texas fans -

Did Ron become a Rangers fan

Just now, Baron said:

See the getting the better player this year I'm not discounting to the point where it's doom and gloom next year. 

I never said it’s doom and gloom. We could easily not need even a really good Dunning going forward I just don’t like the value going away for the value coming in.

Just now, yesterday333 said:

I never said it’s doom and gloom. We could easily not need even a really good Dunning going forward I just don’t like the value going away for the value coming in.

This is what it is. If your not gonna spend on Bauer this was the best option available. 

Well this thread did not disappoint.

Lynn was not brought in to be an ACE he was brought in to supplement what is already here.  Of the top six cost controlled pitchers in the Sox system he has the lowest ceiling thus I am ok with moving him.  Dunning was a nice piece that was moveable because there are guys ahead of him and behind him that are as cost controlled and younger.  

JR has a spending model that fits this move.  If Lynn performs next year he will be extended at a nice raise if not extended sooner.  He is the bridge to the certainty of Kopech, Cease and Crochet and if extended, further to the Kelly, Dahlquist and Thompson time frame.....not to mention Stiever, Lambert and Flores are hanging around.  Lynn is the kind of guy the Sox pay not Bauer, Machado, Harper, etc.

I think a  person not liking this move is really digging deep to not liking it.  Having Dunning under cost control until his age 32 is a little much.  I can as easily see Dunning being noon-tendered as much as I can see him becoming Lance Lynn which I think is his ceiling.

• Like 3

• bmags unpinned this topic