Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The issue is this trade was in lieu of spending money, the money we were all promised would be spent when the time came.

Now, if they want to follow this up and announce they have signed Bauer, I apologize. But we know that isn't happening. 

Not if they extend Lynn

11 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They are spending $8M more after this move.  You have been here long enough to know that Bauer was never likely an option and there are couple of reasons why beyond money.  The Sox are not getting into a bidding war over a player and I am starting to agree with that model.

The Sox will spend within their pay structure.  They will most likely spend for a RF and a DH both on short term deals.

Did Shark, Wells or Bartolo earn their contracts when the White Sox didn't extend them.

If Lynn is looking for 5/125+ in an extension, the Sox will not extend him but 3/50M+ range I think is more likely.  

Here is what is off the books from their not quite ready team:

EE $12 million

Colome $10.5 million

Herrara $9 million

Cishek $6 million

Mazara $5.5 million

McCann $5.4 million

Gonzalez $5 million

Rodon $4.5 million

Looks like there should be room to add a lot of cash and not too many open roster spots, Yet JR is gonna JR. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

EE $12 million

Colome $10.5 million

Herrara $9 million

Cishek $6 million

Mazara $5.5 million

McCann $5.4 million

Gonzalez $5 million

Rodon $4.5 million

Looks like there should be room to add a lot of cash and not too many open roster spots, Yet JR is gonna JR. 

This organization desperately needs a new owner.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

EE $12 million

Colome $10.5 million

Herrara $9 million

Cishek $6 million

Mazara $5.5 million

McCann $5.4 million

Gonzalez $5 million

Rodon $4.5 million

That's $57 million. More than enough AAV to sign Bauer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He lives downstate.  I'm really hoping he wants to finish his career close(er) to home.  

If the money is there don’t know why he wouldn’t. Close to home, world class city, World Series contender, and playing for his former manager (which they seem to get along well).

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Next up, Wainright.  Plus, he just won the Roberto Clemente Award for his off the field contributions.

Fwiw, don’t think this will be our last link to the Cardinals while TLR is running things...

Molina may be the starting catcher this year when all is said and done. Of all of Tony's "buddies", Lynn and Wainwright are the best options. Please no Pujols, and for non LaRussa guys, no Adam Eaton. Would rather have Nicky Delmonico. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

This organization desperately needs a new owner.

The team is in a position to make the other teams  in the division know they are playing for second place for the forseeable future. It would be nice if this owner and front office showed some killer instinct, and paid back some of the people that helped their $20 million investment become a $2 billion business.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I want to ask a serious question. In 2022 do you think Dunning's spot in the rotation would have been ahead of Kopech, Crochet, or Cease based on talent and Katz's influence?

On the upside of outcomes, the answer is obviously no. There are way more than the upside of outcomes to consider, however. I will say I hope you're right and Kopech, Cease, and Crochet all establish themselves as at least mid rotation starters this year. That would also make this trade more favorable, even if Lynn ends up a rental.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I want to ask a serious question. In 2022 do you think Dunning's spot in the rotation would have been ahead of Kopech, Crochet, or Cease based on talent and Katz's influence?

I think it's entirely possible. He has less question marks than all of them. People are worried about Dunning's ability to throw innings. Please look at the # of innings Kopech and Crochet have thrown the last two years. This board was a lot higher on Dunning than Cease before this trade.

I hope Katz is a difference maker and is better at evaluating talent than the Sox have been recently, but also a complete unknown. 

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

EE $12 million

Colome $10.5 million

Herrara $9 million

Cishek $6 million

Mazara $5.5 million

McCann $5.4 million

Gonzalez $5 million

Rodon $4.5 million

Except somewhere around $30 million of that is taken up in contract raises and Arb raises.

• Like 1

Wait, people are mad about this trade?

Soxtalk spent a month this past season talking about how we needed to add Lynn and the packages being discussed were way bigger than this. I get that it's 1/2 less of a season, but trading for a TOR starter is worth it.

I like Dunning, but everyone here said we needed to add another starting pitcher. If that was the case, there was a decent chance Dunning wasn't even in our rotation this year. 

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Except somewhere around $30 million of that is taken up in contract raises and Arb raises.

Sounds like the remaining $27 million could be used on Bauer, especially since $27 million AAV is what I've seen for his contract several places. Also, the White Sox could do this inconceivable thing called raise their payroll.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes, but they shouldn't have been at their ceiling in 2020. You would think the 2020 payroll had room for at least a couple of years of arb increases and an addition or two

32 minutes ago, Flash said:

I disagree. We don't get Lynn if he came with multiple years of control. Of course we traded a cheap controllable asset because thats what was required. There can be no mistaking we are a better team today and given the other potential options, Lynn is a great get. I like Dunning and believe he might turn into a very good pitcher and we might look back with regret but, for now, this move makes a ton of sense...especially if there are more in the pipe. 

A great move would have been signing Trevor Bauer and not giving up 6 years of a guy who is likely a coinflip to be just as good as Lynn down the road.  

I agree we're better in 2021 than we were this time yesterday.  I've said that multiple times.  I just think this move is a clear signal, and I fucking hate what it represents.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

🤢🤢 Just sign Joc and get it over with. Sign some reclamation project to fill the "urgent" 4 starter need while only getting 0-1 impact pen arms and this will be a trademark disappointing White Sox offseason.

I firmly believe Lynn is not enough to make this rotation WS caliber, especially with Dallas likely to regress. Hope I'm wrong but stopping here with pitching would be a big mistake.

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic