Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, but they shouldn't have been at their ceiling in 2020. You would think the 2020 payroll had room for at least a couple of years of arb increases and an addition or two

Where does the Sox payroll # sit with Lynn added?

Just now, RagahRagah said:

I firmly believe Lynn is not enough to make this rotation WS caliber, especially with Dallas likely to regress. Hope I'm wrong but stopping here with pitching would be a big mistake.

Well unless you think a 4 starter solves the problem, be prepared for what you consider to be a big mistake.

I'm fine with this trade. I think dunning is a solid 5 starter but his upside is rather limited.

I don't know anything about weems. His stats are great but he was 22 in rookie ball so he better put up good stats, now he is 23 and missed his "sophomore" season due to covid which makes him a 23 year old who will be 24 in June and hasn't pitched above rookie ball.

In terms of overall war the Sox are going to lose this big time but I rather have 3.5 war by lynn than 9 war by weems and dunning stretched out over like 10 seasons.

Edited by Dominikk85
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

I firmly believe Lynn is not enough to make this rotation WS caliber, especially with Dallas likely to regress. Hope I'm wrong but stopping here with pitching would be a big mistake.

Last year we played an unbalanced schedule against our own division and the NL central.  Our record against above 500 teams versus below 500 teams doesnt exactly guarentee us a world series shot.  There are a few warts here we need to add to before we can take that next step.  I don't think we are that far off.   But there are holes still to fill. RF? DH?  Especially in the bullpen and still a slot in the rotation.  

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Steamer predicts Lynn a 3.2 WAR pitcher with a 4.27 ERA. And Dunning a 2.4 WAR with a 4.54 ERA.

Lynn's a good pitcher. I get that. But this is the White Sox settling. Bring in a name that isn't making a ton in leu of making the big splash.

Who’s the bigger splash besides Bauer?

1 minute ago, Thad Bosley said:

I guess Stoney didn’t see the Passan tweet, because he said “maybe Springer” when going over Sox options for right field.   

The fact he said Springer is INTERESTING! He has been super adamant about no springer .. until, apparently today

9 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Steamer predicts Lynn a 3.2 WAR pitcher with a 4.27 ERA. And Dunning a 2.4 WAR with a 4.54 ERA.

Lynn's a good pitcher. I get that. But this is the White Sox settling. Bring in a name that isn't making a ton in leu of making the big splash.

This really drives it home. If Lynn is worth 3.2 WAR next year, and Dunning is worth 2.4 WAR, the Sox got fleeced, but I've already said that several times.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Here is what is off the books from their not quite ready team:

EE $12 million

Colome $10.5 million

Herrara $9 million

Cishek $6 million

Mazara $5.5 million

McCann $5.4 million

Gonzalez $5 million

Rodon $4.5 million

Looks like there should be room to add a lot of cash and not too many open roster spots, Yet JR is gonna JR. 

Stay in context what are the increases to the salaries for next year.  Not everyone is making the same as last year that are under contract.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

It's Bauer. Sign Bauer. Don't go cheap and give up valuable assets for rentals.

It's very rare that an owner has a chance to make ONE OBVIOUS MOVE that will establish his team as a bona fide WS contender, and to do so without pushing payroll beyond merely middle-of-the-pack.  JR has that chance here and now.  

• bmags unpinned this topic