Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Stay in context what are the increases to the salaries for next year.  Not everyone is making the same as last year that are under contract.  

SSk25 said it's about $30 million, but certainly that should be built in as part of the rebuild, correct? If you are going for it, you don't have the same or arb increased salary as you did when you first began. If the White Sox 2020 payroll is their ceiling, the sustained winning everyone wants isn't happening. These one year shots are probably the way to go. We were told otherwise.

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

And on top of that, Weems was a discount 6th rounder. That was our dalquist/thompson/beard year that needed heavy savings. All of us just looked at those dudes as senior signs.

And even more excitement: instructs showed revamped stuff for Kade McClure and Isaiah Carranza. They are finding more value out of existing guys. Hansen was specifically mentioned for McClure - he found him more velo.

Suddenly the hostetler drafts are starting to look good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Because their contract is bad before the ink is even dry as will Bauer's.

How has trading for big inning guys with one year on their contract worked out for the Sox?

Wells? Not so go, but they gave up basically nothing,

Colon? Not so good, but they gave up basically nothing?

Jeff S? Pretty bad.

Lynn? TBD.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

SSk25 said it's about $30 million, but certainly that should be built in as part of the rebuild, correct? If you are going for it, you don't have the same or arb increased salary as you did when you first began. If the White Sox 2020 payroll is their ceiling, the sustained winning everyone wants isn't happening. These one year shots are probably the way to go. We were told otherwise.

So if they have $30M to spend as in the current environment I do not think they will increase payroll year over year, not tying it all up in Bauer as opposed to Lynn, $10M on a RF and $10M on another pitcher or DH makes more sense to me.

I still think they extend him as well and it is Dunning for four years of Lynn. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

How has trading for big inning guys with one year on their contract worked out for the Sox?

Jeff S? Pretty bad.

Lynn? TBD.

I like Bauer a lot and would be thrilled to sign him, but come on, just because trades 20 years ago didn't work out means very little. Lots of teams trade for players every year.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Jeff S? Pretty bad.

Lynn? TBD.

Yea but Freddy and Contreras and Loaiza(ha!) worked out, if we are gonna be digging in the early 2000s

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Isn't every team in that boat of an unknown back end of the rotation where it is youth or flyers in that role.  Injuries and inability to progress make it so.

Yes but soxtalk seems to want all 5 spots locked down for the next 6 years

Edited by fathom

The White Sox have a lot of position players locked up beyond this, but the realistic window to win a World Series is through 2023 right now. If they extend Giolito beyond that or Cease/Kopech break out then I could be convinced otherwise. This significantly strengthens the rotation for one of the three years you have to be realistic contenders.

• Like 1

Reaction:

People overreact one way or the other on deals way too early. Take a deep breath, do some research and then provide analysis. 

First blush reaction: It's fair market value for Lynn. If we did this trade in July or August when Dunning still hadn't started for us I have a feeling we'd have a different reaction. I don't love the idea of trading a Quintana, Keuchel, Garland-lite type of player who would have filled a nice 3/4 spot in the rotation for 5-6 years to come at an affordable price for a 1 year deal. However, if you believe how the Sox have been talking (or who they have been targeting in Gray, Marquez, Snell) then you'd have to think the idea behind this trade is to then extend him for a reasonable price. I think it also shows our mentality during this run that we're going to be more along the lines of the Rays, Twins, A's, Brewers, etc during this window. Meaning, we're obviously not going after the Machado/Harper/Cole/Bauer/Springer's of the world. We want to win with pitchers on 3-4 year deals at $10-15mm max. 

I think this is a fair trade at market value, however I think it favors the Rangers if we are unable, or don't extend Lynn on a 3/4yr deal at $11-15mm per year. I'd take him at 3 year, $40mm, option to extend for $15mm on year 4. We do that? Then i think this is a win in the sense you upgraded a Dunning (3/4 type guy in the rotation) to a Lynn (2/3 type guy in the rotation). 

• bmags unpinned this topic