Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

Also forgot to add, I do like that we didn't pull the trigger on a Snell or Marquez deal. Much rather would give up Dunning in a trade rather than Vaughn & Kopech. 

Also, call me crazy, but you wouldn't have to give anything if you just signed Bauer for 4 years at $40-42mm per year & you instantly would be a Top 4 team in Vegas to win WS. Plus you wouldn't be breaking Reinsdorf's rule of going over 4 years on a pitcher. But that makes too much sense

1 minute ago, Gtrams42 said:

Would y’all prefer Darvish, Heyward, Colome with no financial room for moves the next 2 years or Lynn, Pederson, Hendriks and room to make a move mid season/next offseason 

The one thing about Heyward is with the money we were getting back, he becomes more moveable to us anyway.

I like Darvish more than Lynn. 

But I do like having the flexibility. I could see us really making our bullpen stronger this year with the extra budget to hedge against regressions from younger guys that only pitched realistically like 1/4 of a season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gtrams42 said:

Would y’all prefer Darvish, Heyward, Colome with no financial room for moves the next 2 years or Lynn, Pederson, Hendriks and room to make a move mid season/next offseason 

What moves do we need to make past those?

It's kind of like GarPax thinking. Eventually using flexibility takes priority over flexibility.

• Thanks 1

Underrated aspect of this trade is that it makes our bullpen better too by taking innings away from the worst guys.

Hell, our bullpen practically died of fatigue after just 60 games last year.

Taking away Dunning and adding Lynn's 200 innings is a MASSIVE boon for our relief corp. Suddenly, if Gio or Dallas has a short outing you don't have to wait a whole trip through the rotation just to get back to a guy who can reliably get you 6 innings again.

Edited by gusguyman
  • Like 4

Just now, BrianAnderson said:

Also forgot to add, I do like that we didn't pull the trigger on a Snell or Marquez deal. Much rather would give up Dunning in a trade rather than Vaughn & Kopech. 

Also, call me crazy, but you wouldn't have to give anything if you just signed Bauer for 4 years at $40-42mm per year & you instantly would be a Top 4 team in Vegas to win WS. Plus you wouldn't be breaking Reinsdorf's rule of going over 4 years on a pitcher. But that makes too much sense

Agreed 100% on those other pitching deals. Dunning was really the ONLY expendable pitcher with value since Katz is adamant about keeping Cease (Which means they see something major). Kopech and Vaugn should be untouchable, except for Woodruff, DeGrom or maybe Gallen. This trade becomes a slam dunk if they sign Bauer...but, yeah, not gonna happen. 

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

Underrated aspect of this trade is that it makes our bullpen better too by taking innings away from the worst guys.

Hell, our bullpen practically died of fatigue after just 60 games last year.

Taking away Dunning and adding Lynn's 200 innings is a MASSIVE boon for our relief corp. Suddenly, if Gio or Dallas has a short outing you don't have to wait a whole trip through the rotation just to get back to a guy who can reliably get you 6 innings again.

This is true. man some of those weeks where cease/lopez couldn't get through their starts and then we had a bullpen day next were rough (or a 3 inning start from gio).

This is where the durability part of Quintana too shouldn't be discounted, though I feel like we can use Lynn's to take a flyer on a high upside guy like Kluber/Paxton.

I would be fully in on the off-season if these were the remaining moves

• Extend Lynn for 2 years at like $15 million per year
  • Sign Joc Pederson to a 1 or 2 year deal
  • Sign Michael Brantley to a 2 or 3 year deal
  • Sign Colome, Hendriks, or Hand
  • Sign a starter on the Quintana/Paxton tier for 1 year

1 minute ago, Dam8610 said:

So 1-4 with a HR and 3 Ks? Thought this board was tiring of TTO hitters.

Look in the short term then of Hanh's move and if you think he is hitting on 1 out of every four trades then you are right.  

You can think what you want but the opening day roster is stronger now than it was yesterday and the minor league system lost they #6 rated cost controlled pitcher.

Just now, TomPickle said:

I would be fully in on the off-season if these were the remaining moves

• Extend Lynn for 2 years at like $15 million per year
  • Sign Joc Pederson to a 1 or 2 year deal
  • Sign Michael Brantley to a 2 or 3 year deal
  • Sign Colome, Hendriks, or Hand
  • Sign a starter on the Quintana/Paxton tier for 1 year

I love brantley's bat, but man I really want it to be planned for as a DH. I do not want sox to use Robert as a cure-all for outfield defense. 

8 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

The difference is if you deal all of your depth, in the first scenario you have guys you can go to internally, or deal externally to make a move.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I love brantley's bat, but man I really want it to be planned for as a DH. I do not want sox to use Robert as a cure-all for outfield defense.  

That's why I have them getting Pederson and Brantley. I wouldn't want Brantley to have to do anything other than play a handful of games in LF for when Eloy injures himself misplaying a ball.

Also, Vaughn and Kopech for Blake Snell becomes more palatable if you were to lock Brantley up for a few years.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

Do we really have financial room with the second option and JR not wanting to spend big?

16 minutes ago, Gtrams42 said:

Option A makes you the AL favorite the next three seasons. And there wouldn't be a need to add at the trade deadline anything more than cosmetic pieces. Option A also significantly improves outfield defense.  Late in games you could move Eloy to DH and have an outfield of Engel, Robert, and Heyward. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

That's why I have them getting Pederson and Brantley. I wouldn't want Brantley to have to do anything other than play a handful of games in LF for when Eloy injures himself misplaying a ball.

Also, Vaughn and Kopech for Blake Snell becomes more palatable if you were to lock Brantley up for a few years.

God, we've murdered our minor leagues in one offseason if we did that lol

9 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

No I know, sorry should have clarified why I quoted. We are just seeing a lot of "sox looking at RF, sights on brantley". That's fine if he is out there for some 25 games, but not for 150.

Is it just me or are people upset the Sox got closer to being a World Series caliber team?  They have to be one of the best, what 2-3 teams in the AL now, by a wide margin right?  

They didn't scuttle their chances of still having a great rotation under control right?  Kopech, Cease, Crochet, Thompson, Dahlquist, Lambert, Steiver, Lopez still all on board?  

Better crop of free agent pitchers available next offseason if Lynn walks?  Check.  

The team is better today than it was last year.  What AL teams have a better pitching staff than the Sox do now?  Which NL teams for that matter?  Not too many.  Though I would still expect another FA starter...  

• bmags unpinned this topic