Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

3 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Is it just me or are people upset the Sox got closer to being a World Series caliber team?  They have to be one of the best, what 2-3 teams in the AL now, by a wide margin right?  

They didn't scuttle their chances of still having a great rotation under control right?  Kopech, Cease, Crochet, Thompson, Dahlquist, Lambert, Steiver, Lopez still all on board?  

Better crop of free agent pitchers available next offseason if Lynn walks?  Check.  

The team is better today than it was last year.  What AL teams have a better pitching staff than the Sox do now?  Which NL teams for that matter?  Not too many.  Though I would still expect another FA starter...  

Until Cease, Kopech, Lopez, at least one can show they can get hitters out on a regular basis and answer the bell 30 times, there is no way they are top 2 in the AL with 3 reliable starters. If one or two of them do, you may be correct.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I would be fully in on the off-season if these were the remaining moves

• Extend Lynn for 2 years at like $15 million per year
  • Sign Joc Pederson to a 1 or 2 year deal
  • Sign Michael Brantley to a 2 or 3 year deal
  • Sign Colome, Hendriks, or Hand
  • Sign a starter on the Quintana/Paxton tier for 1 year

This would be my plan exactly, except I would sign Rosario instead of Brantley to DH.  I'd gladly take either. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Until Cease, Kopech, Lopez, at least one can show they can get hitters out on a regular basis and answer the bell 30 times, there is no way they are top 2 in the AL with 3 reliable starters. If one or two of them do, you may be correct.

Who, at least on paper is better?  The Yanks?  Then maybe the Rays?  Who else?  The Astros are falling, the A's have a ton of questions, the Jays?  I wouldn't say the Twins or Indians are better at this point, would you?  

Is it just me or are people upset the Sox got closer to being a World Series caliber team?  They have to be one of the best, what 2-3 teams in the AL now, by a wide margin right?  

They didn't scuttle their chances of still having a great rotation under control right?  Kopech, Cease, Crochet, Thompson, Dahlquist, Lambert, Steiver, Lopez still all on board?  

Better crop of free agent pitchers available next offseason if Lynn walks?  Check.  

The team is better today than it was last year.  What AL teams have a better pitching staff than the Sox do now?  Which NL teams for that matter?  Not too many.  Though I would still expect another FA starter...  

We aren't top 2 or 3 just yet. We have 3 more moves to make to get in that convo. 

My top 3 today in no order

Yankees

Rays

Astros

Next in line in order to date

Twins

Indians

White Sox

A's

Jays

• Haha 2

Just now, turnin' two said:

Who, at least on paper is better?  The Yanks?  Then maybe the Rays?  Who else?  The Astros are falling, the A's have a ton of questions, the Jays?  I wouldn't say the Twins or Indians are better at this point, would you?  

The Twins and Indians are better until we figure out rotation spot 4 and bring in a RF and top bullpen piece. That may happen this week and then we pass them. Rays and Yankees are for sure better for different reasons. If we make the additions I suggested, and I think we will, we become an AL favorite for sure. If we sign Springer or Bauer, we are the favorite. 

• Like 1

I’m a fan of dunning but the Sox needed a strong third starter without a doubt. Lynn is the guy. The Sox have plenty of young guys coming to fill in holes and if they don’t you go get a guy like Lynn.

im always amazed when fans go crazy about losing one of their own players. We just got a really good pitcher who is an ace for most teams.

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We aren't top 2 or 3 just yet. We have 3 more moves to make to get in that convo. 

Yankees

Rays

Astros

Twins

Indians

White Sox

A's

Jays

At this point, Yankees are the only team arguably ahead of the White Sox. 

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

At this point, Yankees are the only team arguably ahead of the White Sox. 

Its close but I'm not picking us over the Rays or Astros yet. We are real close though. The difference between the Rays, Astros, Twins, Us, and Cleveland is very small at this point. Some teams are rated where they are because of elite pitching. Some teams have a good mix of both, but not elite at either. We have an elite offense with some question marks, but still elite. And then 3 good pitchers and 2 question mark spots in our rotation. Our bullpen isn't up to the task yet for a serious playoff contender either, YET. 

9 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

The Twins were better. Maybe they aren't now maybe they still are. Lynn is a good pitcher. Hopefully he doesn't regress or get hurt. The Sox are still one Giolito injury from being in a tough spot. Playing a regular length season is going to make starting pitching way more important. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yankees

Rays

Astros

Twins

Indians

White Sox

A's

Jays

The Astros?  I can't lie I'm surprised at that.  They were under .500 last year, they are likely losing  Springer and Brantley.   And it isn't like their pitching is really proven.  They could be better, but I don't think on paper they are better than the Sox right now.

• Like 1

Just now, turnin' two said:

The Astros?  I can't lie I'm surprised at that.  They were under .500 last year, they are likely losing  Springer and Brantley.   And it isn't like their pitching is really proven.  They could be better, but I don't think on paper they are better than the Sox right now.

Verlander being out, Greinke a year older, it looks like they will need more than garbage cans to be elite in 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

They were certainly resilient last year but yeah, they are losing a ton of production offensively. Maybe they find a bunch of diamonds in the rough but their farm isn't that great anymore.

Sox have a chance to move up a lot just via depth. Our Starting Rotation was paper thin last year.

But with another starter, potentially high end closer, and joc, they are right up there with anyone. Feel very confident in ALC especially if/when the indians trade lindor unless they get mlb talent back. Their rotation is still disgusting. And truthfully, I see royals / tigers as good bad teams next year.

The Astros can pitch but I am giving them the benefit of the doubt because they've been a top dog for years now. They will improve their team before the start of the season as needed. But like I said, if we make three more solid moves we pass them for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

And the Twins could lose, Rosario, Cruz, May (already lost), Odorizzi, Hill, and Marwin.  Who are their 4-5 starters that make them better than Cease/Kopech/Lopez/ Whoever?

I don't think people realize how soft the back end of team's rotations are.  

The Twins fans seem to think they will trade for a good starter and sign bullpen help. But again, it is very close between the two of us. But as the division winner two years running they get the nod from me until we make a few more moves. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I would be fully in on the off-season if these were the remaining moves

• Extend Lynn for 2 years at like $15 million per year
  • Sign Joc Pederson to a 1 or 2 year deal
  • Sign Michael Brantley to a 2 or 3 year deal
  • Sign Colome, Hendriks, or Hand
  • Sign a starter on the Quintana/Paxton tier for 1 year

If this happens, this is a good trade. If there is no extension or significant re-investment of the savings then I think differently. Another starter for next year is key to all of this. I don't think the 4, 5, and 6 starter spots can be counted on internally after giving up Dunning. I truly think teams are going to need more than usual pitching depth this year- or they will have to operate more like Oak/TB tp fill in innings. 

I don't like Q to be honest, I think with Cooper fine, but I'd like to see Katz be able to identify and work with some higher upside guys like Paxton/Kluber/Archer or find the next late bloomer like Morton or even the Lynn turnaround. I just want to see some different thinking and development. 

• Like 1

How about when the eastern division teams play the Sox next year and they have to face gio, dk and LL the first three game and they think they get a break the next game because everyone’s 4th starter is usually pretty weak and we send a guy out throwing  100 mph with two other really good pitches? 

good luck to them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

and no Verlander

55 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The Twins were better. Maybe they aren't now maybe they still are. Lynn is a good pitcher. Hopefully he doesn't regress or get hurt. The Sox are still one Giolito injury from being in a tough spot. Playing a regular length season is going to make starting pitching way more important. 

The Twins were not better last year.  Sure, they "caught" us in the standings in the final week because Ricky was "experimenting" and almost literally throwing games left and right, but you will never convince me the Sox weren't a better team last year -- with no third starter and Nomar Mazara manning RF.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wanne said:

I'm on the Eddie Rosario bandwagon...

He's as bad in the OF as Eloy. Ok for DH and limited OF duty I guess if he can be had for $5M or less. But no way is he in the OF in the playoffs and until the DH in the NL thing is settled ,that limits his market especially if it ends up being no DH in the World Series.

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic