Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Is it just me or are people upset the Sox got closer to being a World Series caliber team?  They have to be one of the best, what 2-3 teams in the AL now, by a wide margin right?  

They didn't scuttle their chances of still having a great rotation under control right?  Kopech, Cease, Crochet, Thompson, Dahlquist, Lambert, Steiver, Lopez still all on board?  

Better crop of free agent pitchers available next offseason if Lynn walks?  Check.  

The team is better today than it was last year.  What AL teams have a better pitching staff than the Sox do now?  Which NL teams for that matter?  Not too many.  Though I would still expect another FA starter...  

It honestly astounds me how many people keep needing the point repeated to them over and over.

Are we likely to be better? Yes. But that's why you make better moves and big signings, to get your team over the top and make them elite. Lynn is a fine addition but if our plan now is Eaton and Q then this offseason ends up being a waste. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

It honestly astounds me how many people keep needing the point repeated to them over and over.

Are we likely to be better? Yes. But that's why you make better moves and big signings, to get your team over the top and make them elite. Lynn is a fine addition but if our plan now is Eaton and Q then this offseason ends up being a waste. 

So, your point is that they are better?  Sweet.  

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

So, your point is that they are better?  Sweet.  

Willful tone deafness. Interesting.

"Better" is not the point. Better and great are two different things.

Edited by RagahRagah

12 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

One thing to add to this...with next year's rotation... What FA would not want to sign with the white sox now? If I am Bauer this would jazz me up. Not saying they get springer or Bauer out of this.... But it shows the teams window is exactly right now. As a fan that is exciting.

Get Bauer and I don't get care if we get any RF or any more relief pitchers. I'll take our top 4 starting pitchers 4 in the playoffs and it doesn't really add all that much to last years payroll. Maybe in the neighborhood of $20M more. Just guessing with vague numbers of how much is off payroll from those no longer on the team and adding Lynn and Bauers approx. salary. And yea I'm still hoping

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Willful tone deafness. Interesting.

"Better" is not the point. Better and great are two different things.

Yeah.  Totally sucks getting a guy that has finished 5th and 6th in Cy Young voting the last 2 years.  What a bum.  Lynn may have been the best pitcher available, and  Bauer,  was never realistic anyways.  

We’ve got a few camps here. Pick your side:

Good trade for winning now and Dunning doesn’t make or break us.

Good trade in value gained over lost for a ToR SP

Good trade only if Lynn gets extended otherwise bad.

Good trade only if it includes a big all-star acquisition otherwise bad.

Good trade only if if it includes a few good mid-dollar FA signings (Joc/Hendricks-type) otherwise bad.

Bad trade because winning clubs keep cheap and good 4/5 starters around.

Bad trade because Dunning has true 3rd SP+ potential.

Bad trade because it means Reinsdorf is cheap/TLR is in control.

Bad trade because the Sox needed a true #2 or a more elite SP.

Bad because Jake Burger is sad.

Bad trade because Weems.

6 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

We’ve got a few camps here. Pick your side:

Good trade for winning now and Dunning doesn’t make or break us.

Good trade in value gained over lost for a ToR SP

Good trade only if Lynn gets extended otherwise bad.

Good trade only if it includes a big all-star acquisition otherwise bad.

Good trade only if if it includes a few good mid-dollar FA signings (Joc/Hendricks-type) otherwise bad.

Bad trade because winning clubs keep cheap and good 4/5 starters around.

Bad trade because Dunning has true 3rd SP+ potential.

Bad trade because it means Reinsdorf is cheap/TLR is in control.

Bad trade because the Sox needed a true #2 or a more elite SP.

Bad because Jake Burger is sad.

Bad trade because Weems.

Can we go with "meh" or "indifferent"?

27 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah.  Totally sucks getting a guy that has finished 5th and 6th in Cy Young voting the last 2 years.  What a bum.  Lynn may have been the best pitcher available, and  Bauer,  was never realistic anyways.  

Again, I'm not sure why you're so afraid of the point in keep dancing around it. Then at the end you basically supported by saying it's not realistic. The only reason it's not realistic is... the point that I made.

Jeez.

12 hours ago, Sambuca said:

I’ve been telling people this for a while now as well.  Most people called me crazy.  I was so pumped to eventually not only be right, but to also have our version of Shane Bieber for the next six years.  Now I’m struggling because I don’t want to be right anymore, but I do wish Dunning the best of luck.  

Wait what made you right? Did I miss some invisible seasons when Dunning became Bieber ?

Anybody that is worried about losing Dunning is effing insane.  5 of his 8 starts last year were complete trash and mostly against pretty terrible hitting teams, he would absolutely be exposed over 162 games against a standard schedule.  He never once gave me any once of confidence that he can command his less than elite stuff and his BB/9 rate is abysmal.  He's not THAT young, these are the types of dudes you get rid of for bonafide studs like Lance Lynn.  We were 1 starter away from potentially winning the WS last year and we're now that much closer to actualizing it.  Lets go win this damn thing!

6 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Again, I'm not sure why you're so afraid of the point in keep dancing around it. Then at the end you basically supported by saying it's not realistic. The only reason it's not realistic is... the point that I made.

Jeez.

I have no idea what point you made or you are trying to make.  If it was earlier in this thread, I didn't read it all.  Sorry.  Is the point the Sox are cheap?  If so, yeah.  Duh.  It sucks, but you have to live in reality.

31 minutes ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

And we should run a poll because there is a lot of noise and it’s tough to tell where everyone stands. It feels like people are more positive than last night, but I gotta know what to write to Hahn when I give him Soxtalk’s Weekly Performance Review.

At this point, glad we have three pretty darn good SP's! Just wish we would have had the same in the 2020 playoffs. A few more additions, that we all know what they are, and looking forward to 2021. 

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Molina may be the starting catcher this year when all is said and done. Of all of Tony's "buddies", Lynn and Wainwright are the best options. Please no Pujols, and for non LaRussa guys, no Adam Eaton. Would rather have Nicky Delmonico. 

I posted this before the Adam Eaton signing announcement, I stand by my post, preferring Nicky Delmonico and $6.4M to spend elsewhere than Adam Eaton.

4 hours ago, 102605 said:

People are seriously crying about a barely top 100 prospect with a 4/5 starter ceiling being traded away for a solid #2??? Wtf? 

How the phrases "Top 100 Prospect" and "4/5 Starter Ceiling" get thrown around to describe the same player I'll never know or understand.

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic