Sox acquire Lance Lynn for Dane Dunning and Avery Weems

KrankinSox

27 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't like rentals in general which is why I wanted him for 2 playoff seasons but he fits the mold of being a pretty good pitcher and giving the other guys time to build up innings so I really don't mind some quality stop gap guys in the rotation.  In the long run it saves a boatload of money to get Kopech, Crochet and Cease in there.

Parkins talked about this on the Score, and wondered who was offered / who Texas was asking for that nixxed the deal last season, and whether Jon Daniels taking over made a difference. 

I wasn't very comfortable with giving up Dunning, but definitely wouldn't have given a better prospect like Kopech, Cease, Crochet or Vaughan. I feel better about the trade today having a chance to read more about Lynn and read / hear from others. I don't like the Eaton trade, hope they get more and he is just a fourth OFer or part of a platoon at most.

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They wanted Vaughn and Dunning.  Texas has wanted Dunning since the Nats drafted him one pick ahead of them. I was hoping they would come off him but they were adamant. Oh well. You gotta give to get.   

Correct. But you don't pay $10.00 for a pizza puff and fries. You pay 3.00 and get your RC with it.

8 hours ago, MackowiakYakYak said:

We’ve got a few camps here. Pick your side:

Good trade for winning now and Dunning doesn’t make or break us.

Good trade in value gained over lost for a ToR SP

Good trade only if Lynn gets extended otherwise bad.

Good trade only if it includes a big all-star acquisition otherwise bad.

Good trade only if if it includes a few good mid-dollar FA signings (Joc/Hendricks-type) otherwise bad.

Bad trade because winning clubs keep cheap and good 4/5 starters around.

Bad trade because Dunning has true 3rd SP+ potential.

Bad trade because it means Reinsdorf is cheap/TLR is in control.

Bad trade because the Sox needed a true #2 or a more elite SP.

Bad because Jake Burger is sad.

Bad trade because Weems.

Good trade in that they got Lynn and got better. Crappy trade in that Dunning was dealt with several years of control. Good trade because Lynn is needed more than Dinning, who didn’t look amazing last year. Good, not great. Hopefully the Sox spend more money to bring in another starter and players worth a shit (not Gio Gonzalez, Edwin Encarnacion, etc.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Parkins talked about this on the Score, and wondered who was offered / who Texas was asking for that nixxed the deal last season, and whether Jon Daniels taking over made a difference. 

I wasn't very comfortable with giving up Dunning, but definitely wouldn't have given a better prospect like Kopech, Cease, Crochet or Vaughan. I feel better about the trade today having a chance to read more about Lynn and read / hear from others. I don't like the Eaton trade, hope they get more and he is just a fourth OFer or part of a platoon at most.

I never purely hate too many moves unless guys are old and obviously declining. Adam LaRoche, Shields, Encarnacion I was against all those moves but so were a lot of people here. I try to see it from what is going through the Sox minds. I think they are keeping OBP in mind for a lineup that should still probably hit a ton of HR's. OBP guys keep the line  moving ,which helps sustain rallies. It gives the Sox 3 RF options in Engle, Leury,Eaton, in case Leury plays the infield you still have a L/R thing to work with in RF and as a safe guard for more Eaton injuries. He did have his most injury free seasons here so if there's any magic in that I'd be happy to see it again.

I can't be too upset . The Sox made 2 moves and it's early in the off season and they've done more than most teams . If people wanted an indication that they would spend this off season ,it's not exactly a ringing endorsement of that yet, but it's better than a few days ago with a long way to go. If they snag Hendriks I would hate to think he would be our highest AAV acquisition but if its a move that comes quickly things would be looking up.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Eaton was signed, not traded for. 

Edited by Chisoxmb35

9 hours ago, Gtrams42 said:

Oh how I miss the simpler times of waiting to hear back from that dude who was getting Machado updates at a 2 yr olds birthday party. How the times have changed lol

We don't need no stinking birthday parties.  We have the Food Accounts!

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Your need to punch down at minimum wage workers and restaurant workers in a conversation that really wasn’t going that way says way more about you than it does anything else. 

Do you really believe half the crap you say?  Punch down at minimum wage workers...get a life.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Do you really believe half the crap you say?  Punch down at minimum wage workers...get a life.

You even qualified it with "couldn't resist". So why don't you go ahead and go find that life you are recommending

• Like 1

• bmags unpinned this topic