It's not the player, it's the process

Look at Ray Ray Run

6 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Pitching is hard, and pitchers always have an edge when they are unknown. I have always said a key to a good rebuild is trading away the assets you know the industry overvalues; only time will tell if the White Sox chose the right starter to move.

You very well may be right about your evaluation of Dunning; he was a nice sell-high candidate (along with their young relievers, imo).   But they simply didn't sell him high in this trade; especially with the lagniappe thrown in.  

Lynn's  a 2/3; if the industry values Dunning as a 3/4, this isn't selling high.

Edited by GreenSox

16 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

Interesting data.  How many of those contracts look good in hindsight?

I'm not really trying to make a point regarding the quality of those contracts; the point is that the White Sox act like the Pirates and the Indians and that's embarrassing.

Finding the right guys to spend that big money on is up to the GM's and front office; not being able to spend at those levels at all is inexcusable for a franchise that is no where near the bottom in team valuation rankings.

20 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

You very well may be right about your evaluation of Dunning; he was a nice sell-high candidate (along with their young relievers, imo).   But they simply didn't sell him high in this trade; especially with the lagniappe thrown in.  

Lynn's  a 2/3; if the industry values Dunning as a 3/4, this isn't selling high.

I'm not in love with the move, but I'm on board with it.

I'm a low man on Lynn and I think command is severely undervalued in the pitching market in the modern game that focuses so much on stuff or location in young arms, so I'm likely a little higher on Dunning IF the command is real. There's also just a real possibility it's not elite command and that Dunning is a dud; that means the horse that gets you to 3-4 WAR next year, pitches deep into games, preserves your bullpen, and most of all pitches every fifth day becomes an incredibly valuable asset for where this team sits today.

They need at least 3 pitchers they can count on to carry the load, and they didn't have that. Would I prefer not giving up something, sure... do I find it offensive that they're going to fill that hole with a cheap and good option and not use that money elsewhere? Yes. Do I think investing big money in a closer is the dumbest thing this team could ever do given their depth of young and electric bullpen arms and their perceived ability to develop bullpen talent? Absolutely.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

40 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

o I think investing big money in a closer is the dumbest thing this team could ever do given their depth of young and electric bullpen arms and their perceived ability to develop bullpen talent? Absolutely.

You're right about that too; that's one area where they develop well.