Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

😂😂😂😂

What a complete joke. Bargain hunting as always.

Not only is Eaton an asshole whose teammates can't stand him, but he's also bad.

Yay!

It's even worse than you thought with the potential Joc signing!

19 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I like him better than Joc to tell you the truth. If you read our Chuck's article on him, Howie Kendrick paints a different picture of Adam Eaton the teammate than is usually posted here.

But until 2020 he was at least a .360 OBP guy who can give you a little pop, and can hold his own in RF, although not elite like he was.

If you aren't willing to  shop at Nieman Marcus, this is a good TJ Maxx deal.

But unless there is some elite bullpen arm or something else I am missing coming, not netting one of Springer or Bauer, is a failure IMO.

That's great, Adam Eaton went on Chicago radio and said the White Sox lost their team leader when Drake LaRoche was kicked out of the clubhouse. A grown man was calling a child the clubhouse leader. When he was called out on this following the incident, it resulted in a fist fight.

Todd Frazier is one of the most liked guys around the game; he considers Eaton to be the biggest asshole in baseball. I'll trust Frazier on this one.

Eaton was also bad last year, can never stay healthy, and has no pop in right field. He's also a declining defender.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It's even worse than you thought with the potential Joc signing!

Man, I'd give anything for Joc now.

So now that they're not spending on a pitcher or an outfielder, the White Sox are going into an all-in year with a payroll that'll be in the bottom half of the league. "Change the game!"

• Like 1

reaction:

Thought it was strange Garfein starting pushing this narrative over the past few days. Maybe people change and mature? Who knows. As a person I think he's a dick and my guess is he still isn't the nicest person. But I don't care much about that - maybe is the type of guy who fits in well with TLR (whose personality i also don't like). 

In terms of baseball? I think it's a safe 1 year deal - so why not? Very White Sox move again though. Low cost, low risk, re-tread, etc. It's not the type of move that makes me excited ... clearly we aren't going for it all in an aggressive way. Settling for a nice rotation piece, settling for an okay/replacement level RF, etc. I'd assume the next type of moves we'd make are bringing back a Colome, maybe adding a Hand, etc. It's all a bunch of boring, calculated moves which are fine. Was kind of hoping we'd seize the moment & be more aggressive. Not like trade Kopech/Vaughn aggressive, but maybe make a serious run at Springer/Bauer aggressive. This is a fine move, but doesn't move the needle. It's putting additional pressure on the in-house guys to do their job and take hte next step (Moncada/Eloy/Robert/Madrigal/Vaughn). 

Not bad, C grade move. Was hoping with the current environment of Covid, payrolls being cut + timing of us on the up & up we'd seize that and make a move for a guy like Bryant or someone like that to really push some chips into the middle. Oh well. 

Soxtalk on 33 year old Michael Brantley who hit .300 / .364 / .476 last year:

"Just scares me, you know? Declining hitter, he's basically Adam dunn or LaRoche"

Soxtalk on 32 year old Adam Eaton who hit .226/.285/.384

"Love it. Great defense. Great bat. Good walks. What's not to love?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Worse than who?  Certainly not worse than anyone else we've been throwing out there.  The only guy you could point to (besides Springer) that you can make an argument is a better fit is Joc.  And that is no slam dunk.  Joc is coming off a .190/.285/.395 season good for -0.1 fWAR.  Eaton wasn't any better in 2020, but its not like Joc was some home run signing.  The rest of the options suck balls at defense.  

He was also worse than Mazara in 2020. Eaton is coming off a .226/.285/.669 triple slash with a -0.5 fWAR, right? At least Mazara was above water at 0.2. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Soxtalk on 33 year old Michael Brantley who hit .300 / .364 / .476 last year:

"Just scares me, you know? Declining hitter, he's basically Adam dunn or LaRoche"

Soxtalk on 32 year old Adam Eaton who hit .226/.285/.384

"Love it. Great defense. Great bat. Good walks. What's not to love?"

Who compared Brantley to Dunn???

also, Brantley can't field... and we signed a RF. Brantley is a DH.

I am so not aligned with this board right now. 🤣

I actually like this signing. He's a more well rounded player, and discounted because of last year, particularly when he can be rested a couple of times a week. He's at best their 7th best position player, so doesn't need to be a career outlier performance for him to contribute.

I think the clubhouse stuff may have gotten pointed heavily at him, when that was a real toxic mix. No doubt Eaton is a personality not for everyone but he seemed to get along just fine in Washington. That entire clubhouse mix was a disaster last time. 

• Like 2