Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

Just now, Rowand44 said:

Is it though?  Even if you want to throw away 2020, it's not like Eaton's bat was miles better than Mazara's in 2019.  Eaton was a tad above average offensively in 2019 but as I said was trending downward even before 2020.  Even if you want to look at this thing optimistically the best you can expect is an average offensive player who can't really play defense anymore.  Add in the clubhouse issues and it's just not worth it.

Perfectly said, there is no upside to this move at all

• Like 1

Just now, KrankinSox said:

They asked if they think TLR, after being out of the game for so long, will have trouble relating to younger players.

Eaton then laughed and said, "I gave you your two minutes, have a good day." And hung up.

off to a great start, definitely matured!

• Haha 1

Just now, KrankinSox said:

They asked if they think TLR, after being out of the game for so long, will have trouble relating to younger players.

Eaton then laughed and said, "I gave you your two minutes, have a good day." And hung up.

Sounds like he is as mature as ever 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What is good about the White Sox filling their two biggest holes without spending any money?

I thought the White Sox were going to spend money this off-season. I guess they are technically "spending."

Can't wait for our big acquisition to be a closer lol.

With the decrease in revenue this past season and into next season, did you really expect big spending? Even the Dodgers cut 30% of their front office staff.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ptatc said:

With the decrease in revenue this past season and into next season, did you really expect big spending? Even the Dodgers cut 30% of their front office staff.

I also am beginning to wonder if they won’t go more than one year with anyone this offseason

I am ok with this. Eaton was always solid. However...

The only disappointment for me is that it's only for one year, so clearly we're not looking too a long-term solution like Springer.

There's literally no excuse not to sign Bauer now. That's the only thing that makes this move good. And when inevitably he doesn't sign here oh, there's going to be hell to pay! (On this forum)

Edited by RagahRagah

4 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Is it though?  Even if you want to throw away 2020, it's not like Eaton's bat was miles better than Mazara's in 2019.  Eaton was a tad above average offensively in 2019 but as I said was trending downward even before 2020.  Even if you want to look at this thing optimistically the best you can expect is an average offensive player who can't really play defense anymore.  Add in the clubhouse issues and it's just not worth it.

Unfortunately, the White Sox budget doesn't allow them to shop for players without warts. 

1 minute ago, gusguyman said:

Expecting something and accepting something are two different things. 

Accepting it doesn't matter. It's the reality of the sports world right now. It's happening in all of the major sports with the decrease in revenue.

5 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Lmao.....this is awesome.

At the least there is entertainment value in this. Im sure the FO will love the immediate PR debacle. 

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I am perfectly fine with this. Eaton was always solid. 

The only disappointment for me is that it's only for one year, so clearly we're not looking too a long-term solution like Springer.

There's literally no excuse not to sign Bauer now. And when inevitably he doesn't sign here oh, there's going to be hell to pay! (On this forum)

That's the only part of this that I like.  I am fine with an option as well, just in case he does rake this year.

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Lmao.....this is awesome.

At the least there is entertainment value in this. Im sure the FO will love the immediate PR debacle. 

They couldn't let it calm down after the TLR stuff. Need to keep themselves in the news cycle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Accepting it doesn't matter. It's the reality of the sports world right now. It's happening in all of the major sports with the decrease in revenue.

We're forgetting that a lot of teams are still spending money and someone is going to pay for Bauer. It should be us.

Just now, RagahRagah said:

We're forgetting that a lot of teams are still spending money and someone is going to pay for Bauer. It should be us.

No one is really spending money. And the elite players will get good contracts but not what it would have been begore, unless they take shorter deals.

1 minute ago, wegner said:

That's the only part of this that I like.  I am fine with an option as well, just in case he does rake this year.

I guess what I should have said was simply the part about not having a long term RF. Obviously we're not going after Springer now, and likely not Brantley unless they really want to pay him to DH. But obviously the big one is the one we all want the Sox to sign. To me, that alone would make Eaton worth it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I am perfectly fine with this. Eaton was always solid. 

There's literally no excuse not to sign Bauer now. And when inevitably he doesn't sign here oh, there's going to be hell to pay! (On this forum)

If they are dicking around with 1m or 2m differences in deciding OF choice do you think they are going to spend 150m on a pitcher?

Lynn was the TOR addition....and its cause it was only 8m. 

They aren't spending any money this year.

None.

Nada.

Zero. 

JR is like Smaug in The Hobbit who loves to roll around in his gold coins. No one can have any of it. Not even like one coin.