Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Except that Bauer would require 150m and the savings from Eaton to Joc is a ONE TIME 3m-4m savings since its a one year deal. Its not like you are dumping a player owed 75m in order to make room for another big contract. We are talking pennies in savings in the big picture. In order to believe Eatom represents an attempt to find money for Bauer you would have to believe the Sox are somehow offering him 147m despite JR never paying pitchers or anyone for that matter above 100m, and you'd have to also believe Bauer wanting 150m and JR telling the FO no, find me that extra 3m in savings to justify the deal. LOL. The only aspect of this which would be believable is that they are targeting Bauer because he's an ahole since it seems the Sox hated their young roster of fun personalities and now instead strongly prefer aholes.

They already addressed TOR and that was Lynn and that was only done cause it was cheap financially. Its over. The only place left in the rotation is like 4/5 anyway. 

Anyway JR isn't going to give Bauer 150m when he can take that money to the grave instead. 

Bingo, a point I was thinking

Although I have heard of a Brinks truck doubling as a hearst :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chetkincaid said:

I can't believe that some people still think there's a chance that Reinsdorf would actually pay what it takes to sign Trevor Bauer. 

I don't necessarily, but we did offer 120 or so to Wheeler. 

It just makes them look bad now to not offer something similar in the future. Always an excuse, though, I guess.

3 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I can't believe that some people still think there's a chance that Reinsdorf would actually pay what it takes to sign Trevor Bauer. 

The Lynn trade shut the door on Bauer(not that it was ever happening). If anything, it signaled they still may be in on Springer, but obviously that's closed too.

The question now, with these two low cost additions, where is the money going to be spent? 

8 minutes ago, He_Gawn said:

Are you fucking drunk?

Yes.

But seriously, I've explained my thought process twice already - if ANY player struggles you're probably dealing with two black holes in the lineup and we've seen over and over and over how that doesn't work out when making a postseason run - last year when Robert slumped the team scored less runs and lost a ton. So far they've added Eaton and lost McCann. They don't have a DH so we don't know if that position will be any better this year. I don't see how they're not at risk for the same problem that caused an extended slump last season.

• Haha 1

So I don't like this move just like most of you on here. However, I'm going to take a different angle to this Adam Eaton  Signing. So your choices right now for free agent right fielders were down to Brantley, Pederson,  And a guy like Eaton. Brantley and Pederson or not going to take a one year deal.  Truly you really shouldn't be giving either one of those guys a 3 to 4 year deal. Brantley maybe in severe decline after next year and Pederson has really done nothing to deserve a 3 to 4 year deal. 

Maybe, the thought process here is sign somebody like eaten to a one year deal for cheap and then you go out next year and either through trade or free agent market sign somebody that's a long term solution.

Interested to get your thoughts on what I think maybe happening here.

Edited by 2Deep

I wanted Joc Pederson over Adam Eaton. More power, lower OBP.  But Eaton isn't the worst option. People are saying his defense has declined but he's got to be better than some of the other options. Springer wasn't happening.

As for the locker room cancer, he played on the WS winning Nats 2 years ago, so whatever his personality, it didn't derail the Nats from winning it all. And he was not only on a WS winning team two years ago, he was the #2 hitter on that team.

On the White Sox, he's unlikely to hit at the top of the order, though one never knows how TLR will construct the lineup. But he's more likely to hit #8, ahead of Nick Madrigal, giving the Sox three speedy high OBP guys in a row in 8, 9, and 1.  That should give the Sox some ability to manufacture runs and not rely completely on the HR for their offense. 

Being a platoon player with Adam Engle will also likely keep Eaton fresh and slow his decline. He was a very consistent hitter for the 6 years prior to 2020. 

This deal also comes at a reasonable cost, which could allow the Sox to spend their money elsewhere, but I'll address that in a separate reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

I'm an optimist at heart, and I can usually talk myself into liking a move that I originally didn't like (like the Lynn trade). But I'm struggling with this one. Can somebody help me out? Anything to like about this? Is there a small chance he gets some of his old production back?

The only good explanation is if this frees them up to spend money to bring in someone big but it doesn't sound like they're going after the right guy.  This sucks.

2 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

So I don't like this move just like most of you on here. However, I'm going to take a different angle to this Adam Eaton  Signing. So your choices right now for free agent right fielders were down to Brantley, Pederson,  And a guy like Eaton. Brantley and Pederson or not going to take a one year deal  Because truly you really shouldn't be giving either one of those guys a 3 to 4 year deal. Brantley Past next year maybe in severe decline and Pederson has really done nothing to deserve a 3 to 4 year deal. 

Maybe, the thought process here is signed somebody like eaten to a one year deal for cheap and then you go out next year and either through trade or free agent market sign somebody that's a long term solution.

Interested to get your thoughts on what I think maybe happening here.

Well my thoughts are.  We will constantly try to fill gaps with tier 3 older players with limited value due to age or injury history or a guy who needs to rebuild value.  Because that has worked out like gangbusters in the past.  Instead of doing the right thing and pushing this over the top.  They are never, ever going to fix this issue until JR is lugging his pyramid of gold past Anubis on his way to the hereafter.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

FWIW - I just listened to the radio bit with Eaton.  He didn't hang up and was respectful.  Just didn't care to answer the third question in a row about TLR.  Wasn't nearly as bad as some people here are making it out to be.  

God is that water heavy.   I hope you protect your back when you carry it.  

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well my thoughts are.  We will constantly try to fill gaps with tier 3 older players with limited value due to age or injury history or a guy who needs to rebuild value.  Because that has worked out like gangbusters in the past.  Instead of doing the right thing and pushing this over the top.  They are never, ever going to fix this issue until JR is lugging his pyramid of gold past Anubis on his way to the hereafter.   

Ok so who would you have given a long term big money deal to play RF next year. Springer by all accounts isn't coming here.....

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I'm an optimist at heart, and I can usually talk myself into liking a move that I originally didn't like (like the Lynn trade). But I'm struggling with this one. Can somebody help me out? Anything to like about this? Is there a small chance he gets some of his old production back?

I never thought a reunion was possible, so I was sort of warm to the idea.  But now that it has happened, I'm simply hoping Eaton isn't the black hole Mazara was and isn't a statue in RF.  

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

Have you listened to it?  I am not carrying any water.  I am reporting what I heard, when I actually took the 5 mins to listen.  

5 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

When did this "carrying water" phrase become such a huge part of the SoxTalk vocabulary?  I think I've read that phrase more times in the last couple weeks than I have in my entire lifetime up until now.

A couple years ago, the popular phrase around here was describing something as "a non-zero chance" of happening. Glad that finally stopped.

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1