Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

When did this "carrying water" phrase become such a huge part of the SoxTalk vocabulary?  I think I've read that phrase more times in the last couple weeks than I have in my entire lifetime up until now.

A couple year ago, the popular phrase around here was describing something as "a non-zero chance" of happening. Glad that finally stopped.

Well if you prefer sheep or sheeple we could use that as well.  Covers the same sentiment.  

Let's talk about how not paying Eaton a ton might help free up money for other things.

1. Closer is now the most important hole the Sox need to fill. I hope/expect it will be to re-up Colome for 2 years. He won't cost a fortune.

2. Giolito needs extending. This may not cost much of anything in the short run, but the more money the Sox save now, the more likely they are to extend Giolito.

3. Lance Lynn should be extended for a couple years, to match the years Keuchel is here. 

4. What about James McCann?  I wonder if he's completely out of the running. It's likely he is, but he would fill more than a backup catcher role. He would be a good DH straddle with Grandal/Abreu until Vaughn is ready. 

5. Another starting pitcher? I don't really want the Sox to sign someone like Quintana, because it's just likely to delay Kopech from taking his role in the rotation. But the Sox may need more depth if behind Giolito, Keuchel, and Lynn they have only Cease, Kopech, and Lopez. They have more minor league guys on the come, but will they be ready in 2021? 

When you have the core the White Sox have, it's okay to put role players around them. 

Eaton may be a jerk, but he's a highly competitive jerk who wants to win and helped the Nats win a World Series in 2019. He also knows how to work a count and draw a walk, which is a skill that more Sox hitters should learn. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Great we got this idiot back on the team. Do we have to sign the other idiots son for him to not make a mess of the locker room? 

LOL

Reinsdorf is a sadist

TLR now this clubhouse cancer.

Chicago is truly plagued with some of the most bufoonish sports ownerships on the planet.

Edited by GradMc

5 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Platoon him with Engel.  That should give him about 95 starts.  In 2018 he had 95 starts hitting .301/.394/.411.  I think those are attainable if you keep him on those limits.

You can almost set your watch to him having a +.360 OBP, except for the anomaly of 2020.

I was told he sucked since 2016.. You must be wrong.

• Like 1

After looking at Eaton’s stats, they are not that bad. He’s not going to hit for power like Joc but he is going to get on base. This team last year was relying on the homerun ball too much so I think this will bring some balance to the offense. I still don’t like the signing because it happened at a weird time but I think I will come around to it depending on who else they sign.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GREEDY said:

The timing makes me wonder if this was Hahn trying to look like a genius for renting Eaton to the Nats in exchange for Giolito & Lynn? 

Eaton is a good fit.  Obviously we all wanted Springer, the timing was weird and I even preferred Joc... But they're not THAT far apart. It's a good fit, with a good contract.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

Just now, maloney.adam said:

After looking at Eaton’s stats, they are not that bad. He’s not going to hit for power like Joc but he is going to get on base. This team last year was relying on the homerun ball too much so I think this will bring some balance to the offense. I still don’t like the signing because it’s weird timing for it but I think I will come around on it depending on who else they sign.

Throw out 2020 and they're mostly fine. This just sucks and I hate him. 

35 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

After looking at Eaton’s stats, they are not that bad. He’s not going to hit for power like Joc but he is going to get on base. This team last year was relying on the homerun ball too much so I think this will bring some balance to the offense. I still don’t like the signing because it happened at a weird time but I think I will come around to it depending on who else they sign.

Adam Eaton will be the worst player in our lineup next season more than likely, maybe second worst. That means we have a very good team. This being said, add another starter, shore up the bullpen and bring in a two month DH.

Edited by SonofaRoache

9 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Well if you prefer sheep or sheeple we could use that as well.  Covers the same sentiment.  

So listening to something and coming to your own conclusion makes one a sheep, but just going with the herd and pulling out your pitchforks without any research make one what exactly?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Let's talk about how not paying Eaton a ton might help free up money for other things.

1. Closer is now the most important hole the Sox need to fill. I hope/expect it will be to re-up Colome for 2 years. He won't cost a fortune.

2. Giolito needs extending. This may not cost much of anything in the short run, but the more money the Sox save now, the more likely they are to extend Giolito.

3. Lance Lynn should be extended for a couple years, to match the years Keuchel is here. 

4. What about James McCann?  I wonder if he's completely out of the running. It's likely he is, but he would fill more than a backup catcher role. He would be a good DH straddle with Grandal/Abreu until Vaughn is ready. 

5. Another starting pitcher? I don't really want the Sox to sign someone like Quintana, because it's just likely to delay Kopech from taking his role in the rotation. But the Sox may need more depth if behind Giolito, Keuchel, and Lynn they have only Cease, Kopech, and Lopez. They have more minor league guys on the come, but will they be ready in 2021? 

When you have the core the White Sox have, it's okay to put role players around them. 

Eaton may be a jerk, but he's a highly competitive jerk who wants to win and helped the Nats win a World Series in 2019. He also knows how to work a count and draw a walk, which is a skill that more Sox hitters should learn. 

Let's talk about an affluent sportsman taking over this operation. These half-hearted ass moves are an affront to team and its fanbase.

10 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Kopech cannot throw 180+ innings next season.  There is a 100% chance he is the minors until June.  You need to add another SP, unless you want to rely on Lopez taking 10-15 starts.  

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I like him better than Joc to tell you the truth. If you read our Chuck's article on him, Howie Kendrick paints a different picture of Adam Eaton the teammate than is usually posted here.

But until 2020 he was at least a .360 OBP guy who can give you a little pop, and can hold his own in RF, although not elite like he was.

If you aren't willing to  shop at Nieman Marcus, this is a good TJ Maxx deal.

But unless there is some elite bullpen arm or something else I am missing coming, not netting one of Springer or Bauer, is a failure IMO.

A failure yes but it's in line with the MO of this ownership group

2 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

So where does he project in the lineup?  It could set up a nice L-R combination at 8-9 with him and Madrigal getting on base at high percentages, not only turning over the lineup but putting people on for Anderson and the rest.

I think the 8 spot is the spot for him.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

So where does he project in the lineup?  It could set up a nice L-R combination at 8-9 with him and Madrigal getting on base at high percentages, not only turning over the lineup but putting people on for Anderson and the rest.

him at 8, Madrigal at 9.

It's like another built in leadoff and number 2 hitter at the bottom of the order to turn it back to the top.

1 minute ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Initial thought was in the 2 hole. High contact and OBP seems like a good fit there.

1. Anderson R

2. Eaton L

3. Abreu R

4. Jimenez R

5. Moncada S

6. Robert R

7. Grandal S

8. Vaughn R (whoever ends up at DH)

9. Madrigal R