Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

Isn't Joc Pederson kind of douchey as well?

I always thought of Eaton as just a little too intense rather than a bad guy.  We could probably use a little more intensity.

Anyway, this is a team where you better know some Spanish if you want to have any leadership impact.  I could see the Cubans not even knowing what he is talking about and laughing at his frenetic pace.

Just now, raBBit said:

They've done their due diligence. He fits the roster as constructed. Just my opinion and would love to be wrong but people are crazy if they think the Sox are going to get Cruz or Brantley to be the DH. 

Yeah I think Cruz and Brantley are for sure not happening. Schwarber maybe if his market craters, but I don’t think that happens.  

Just now, Superstar Lamar said:

I always thought of Eaton as just a little too intense rather than a bad guy.  We could probably use a little more intensity.

Anyway, this is a team where you better know some Spanish if you want to have any leadership impact.  I could see the Cubans not even knowing what he is talking about and laughing at his frenetic pace.

Also always reminded me of AJ.. Just super intense and shows it.  Love that attitude in a player honestly.

1 minute ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Joc is an amazing teammate by all accounts.  Puig loves him

Edited by fathom

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They signed a right fielder to hit god damn 8th.  Right field is supposed to be a power position but they have 2 slap dicks at the bottom of the order.  There were SO many better options.  What the fuck.  

I hate having a guy who consistently has a .360 OBP at 8.  GRRRRRRRRRR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They signed a right fielder to hit god damn 8th.  Right field is supposed to be a power position but they have 2 slap dicks at the bottom of the order.  There were SO many better options.  What the fuck.  

Exactly the point I’ve been trying to make. At least with Joc or even Rosario, you can dream of them just bashing RHP.  Don’t worry, I’m sure Tony will bat Madrigal 2nd.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yeah I think Cruz and Brantley are for sure not happening. Schwarber maybe if his market craters, but I don’t think that happens.  

I get why Sox fans want Schwarber and he'd be a luxury. Other than staying in Chicago, why would he want to come here? He can have guaranteed AB's elsewhere where they dont have full outfields, an MVP first baseman and top 20 1B prospect primed to take over DH spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I like him better than Joc to tell you the truth. If you read our Chuck's article on him, Howie Kendrick paints a different picture of Adam Eaton the teammate than is usually posted here.

But until 2020 he was at least a .360 OBP guy who can give you a little pop, and can hold his own in RF, although not elite like he was.

If you aren't willing to  shop at Nieman Marcus, this is a good TJ Maxx deal.

But unless there is some elite bullpen arm or something else I am missing coming, not netting one of Springer or Bauer, is a failure IMO.

I like him too. I don't mind a few goofballs. I expect he will behave all right.

9 minutes ago, raBBit said:

The line up is pretty clear:

1 - SS Anderson

2 - 3B Moncada

3 - 1B/DH Abreu

4 - LF Eloy

5 - C Grandal

6 - CF Robert

7 - DH/1B Vaughn/Potential Addition

8 - RF Eaton/Engel

9 - 2B - Madrigal

I could see switching Robert and Vaughn, with Robert staying in the 7 hole where he played most of 2020. The reason is his speed, and Vaughn's likely better OBP.

If Robert hits 7th, you have Eaton/Engel, Madrigal, and Anderson following. Those are the fastest guys in the lineup. They can all run, which means you can put a lot of pressure on opposing pitchers. And if you put them together, there's no slow guy in the middle to gum things up. 

Just now, raBBit said:

I get why Sox fans want Schwarber and he'd be a luxury. Other than staying in Chicago, why would he want to come here? He can have guaranteed AB's elsewhere where they dont have full outfields, an MVP first baseman and top 20 1B prospect primed to take over DH spot.

Yep the market would have to crater for him. Wouldn’t Rojas be similar in terms of looking for more at bats?  If they’re planning on keeping Vaughn down for a long time, Mitch Moreland is a RHP masher.

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Let's just go sign Joc as well. 1 years 13 million. option for 1 year at 15.. Can and Eloy DH until Vaughn shows up, play LF when Eloy runs into the wall again and goes on the DL and can play RF as well.  I can get him 120 starts that way! haha  

Shit I wouldn't mind them taking a shot at Schwarber at DH if they feel Vaughn needs time. Basically pencil him in for 30+ bombs and 50+ BBs (although the average will be low). 

Anderson - R

Moncada - S

Abreu - R

Eloy - R

Grandal - S

Robert - R

Schwarber - L

Madrigal - R

Eaton - L

Giddy up.

Edited by SoxAce

Just now, VAfan said:

I could see switching Robert and Vaughn, with Robert staying in the 7 hole where he played most of 2020. The reason is his speed, and Vaughn's likely better OBP.

If Robert hits 7th, you have Eaton/Engel, Madrigal, and Anderson following. Those are the fastest guys in the lineup. They can all run, which means you can put a lot of pressure on opposing pitchers. And if you put them together, there's no slow guy in the middle to gum things up. 

Before he left he was a legit impact guy in RF. I understand he also has a CDL which Anthony Jr. insisted on as part of any RF deal. Give the guy a break people. He is also  an alt lead-off guy.

1 hour ago, almagest said:

This team is better than last year (due to Lynn) but they still finished 3rd in the division. I'm not confident they'll make a postseason run with a normal postseason because Eaton doesn't make the team better. The idea is to supplant your existing talent with solid players to put you over the top. Eaton doesn't do that, so you're heavily reliant on every player on offense being better than they were last year (except Abreu, Anderson, Grandal and Jimenez, who I'm lumping together as "consistently good"). Eaton is probably going to be bad, so if any of the other 4 struggle or if most of them just don't improve you're putting a lot of pressure on the rest of the lineup. You don't make deep postseason runs with 2+ holes in your lineup unless you get absurdly hot.

It’s still December. What have the Twins, Indians, Rays, and Yankees done to improve so far?