Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't get the utter lack of power at the bottom of the order line. It appears NSC got that from here. Seriously, Eaton hit 15 homers in 2019 . He is a 12 to 15 guy. Madrigal doesn't hit homers,, but you could put either one of those guys second in the order and you have big power 3-8.

I find it fascinating how you continually pick Adam Eaton's career year to explain his talents; completely ignoring what has happened over time.

For his career Eaton averages 11 home runs per 162 games. In his career, he averages playing 103 games in a season - over 8 years. That means Eaton, on average, is a 6-7 home run per season guy.

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yep the market would have to crater for him. Wouldn’t Rojas be similar in terms of looking for more at bats?  If they’re planning on keeping Vaughn down for a long time, Mitch Moreland is a RHP masher.

Rojas hasn't proven anything in the MLB. He's not going to be expensive add. Schwarber has hit in the big leagues. 

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

If I had to guess Hahn wanted Hinch and Joc and Kenny wanted TLR and Eaton. 

People forget Hahn targeted and acquired Eaton. He is on board with this move.

As for the manager, Hahn definitely wanted Hinch but also really valued the potential of a search process. He wanted to interview several other guys to learn about the processes of other teams, the teams the Sox will be competing against, etc. Both for the purpose of learning and for a potential competitive edge.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Never forget when someone tells you it was just one guy who didn't like Eaton:

Not surprised someone like Rabbit likes Eaton, sounds like they got a lot in common. 🚬

I kid, i kid.

Unsolicited personal attacks from this loud mouth. What a shock. Reminding me why I stopped posting frequently.

• Like 1
  • Fire 5

I don't understand how people keep buying these "buy low" candidates as a good idea. None of them ever work out. The Sox end up paying a relative premium on replacement or below replacement level performance.

Honestly I hope I'm wrong and everything goes right for the Sox next year and they make a deep run. I hope Eaton is back to a .300/.400/.400 level player with decent defense. I hope every young player continues to improve. I hope some combo of Kopech/Cease/Lopez/Steiver steps in to fill the 4/5 slots in the rotation. My concern is that there's a lot that needs to improve/go right.

1 minute ago, almagest said:

I don't understand how people keep buying these "buy low" candidates as a good idea. None of them ever work out. The Sox end up paying a relative premium on replacement or below replacement level performance.

Honestly I hope I'm wrong and everything goes right for the Sox next year and they make a deep run. I hope Eaton is back to a .300/.400/.400 level player with decent defense. I hope every young player continues to improve. I hope some combo of Kopech/Cease/Lopez/Steiver steps in to fill the 4/5 slots in the rotation. My concern is that there's a lot that needs to improve/go right.

He's a good platoon option in RF, unlike Mazara, and is being paid basically like a 1 WAR player.  It's fine.  As long as TLR uses him properly, which we'll see.

35 minutes ago, raBBit said:

On paper with an "Everybody stay healthy" scenario - It's us or the Dodgers. Can't even think who would be #3. Atlanta? Yankees?

How do the White Sox have a better lineup than the Yankees? They have Madrigal, Eaton and no DH at the moment. Eaton and Madrigal could both very easily be bad.

33 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They signed a right fielder to hit god damn 8th.  Right field is supposed to be a power position but they have 2 slap dicks at the bottom of the order.  There were SO many better options.  What the fuck.  

Ding ding ding.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't get the utter lack of power at the bottom of the order line. It appears NSC got that from here. Seriously, Eaton hit 15 homers in 2019 . He is a 12 to 15 guy. Madrigal doesn't hit homers,, but you could put either one of those guys second in the order and you have big power 3-8.

It's more about his position. Despite him being more of a power hitter than a Madrigal, its slugging in 2019 puts him at 25th in RF...just ahead of Jason Heyward...

Hilarious. Didn't hit me until now but for all the talk about Darvish/Heyward last night, this is basically the budget version of that (granted Eaton doesn't K)

6 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Rojas hasn't proven anything in the MLB. He's not going to be expensive add. Schwarber has hit in the big leagues. 

As for the manager, Hahn definitely wanted Hinch but also really valued the potential of a search process. He wanted to interview several other guys to learn about the processes of other teams, the teams the Sox will be competing against, etc. Both for the purpose of learning and for a potential competitive edge.

Unsolicited personal attacks from this loud mouth. What a shock. Reminding me why I stopped posting frequently.

Agreed

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Seriously? How do you figure?

The Rays were just in the World Series and that organization knows how to build a contender. The Yankees spanked the Indians, who we couldn't beat, and can match us offensively. They also won over 100 games two years ago. The Indians traded Clevinger and still beat us badly. They have the AL Cy Young.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

So Engel is going to pinch hit off the bench? I can see him being expendable at some point than if that’s the case.

I mean, historically speaking, 1 WAR players through 1200 Plate Appearances are generally expendable 😂

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

So Engel is going to pinch hit off the bench? I can see him being expendable at some point than if that’s the case.

Late inning defensive replacement most likely with a spot start here and there and covering the injuries that are bound to happen.  He'll get his ab's but I actually agree with fathom, I don't think the Sox are looking at Eaton as a platoon player.

Edited by Rowand44

9 minutes ago, raBBit said:

look another guy who can't take a joke online. I even had to add the i kid i kid because i Knew how upset you get when people don't bow before you on this forum.

You stopped posting well before I arrived buddy, and if your skin is so thin that you can't bust balls online talking about the Sox then i feel bad for you in general.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Fire 2

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a good platoon option in RF, unlike Mazara, and is being paid basically like a 1 WAR player.  It's fine.  As long as TLR uses him properly, which we'll see.

He's not a platoon option though. He's going to be the everyday right fielder as posted by others in this thread. I also see him being a 0-1 WAR player as a likely outcome, otherwise he'd be getting paid much better. Teams aren't stupid, especially right now with revenue down the tubes.