Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That was a holy fuck moment and it makes you wonder how in the hell they're going to get Hendriks done. 

It's more likely it's a he's too expensive for what we expect him to be thing than a we literally cannot afford to sign this player thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That was a holy fuck moment and it makes you wonder how in the hell they're going to get Hendriks done. 

Brantley was too expensive because say they had 20 million for RF and closer allotted.  Instead of paying Brantley 12 and having 8 left for a closer, they can pay Hendriks 13 and Eaton 7.

• Like 1

Just now, fathom said:

Funny thing is Brantley would be a debacle defensively in RF. Would have been a bad choice as well.

My interpretation of the signing was that Sox decided they weren't willing to force it defensively in RF with Brantley or Ozuna (who was even more of a reach on D) and must have preferred Eaton to Joc at least for the respective price points. If they signed Brantley now and saw him as RF only if/when Eaton is hurt, I could see that.

FWIW, FG's crowdsourcing has Brantley getting 3/$45M. I can see an argument against that although I'd consider paying it if I was in charge of Jerry's money.

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

My interpretation of the signing was that Sox decided they weren't willing to force it defensively in RF with Brantley or Ozuna (who was even more of a reach on D) and must have preferred Eaton to Joc at least for the respective price points. If they signed Brantley now and saw him as RF only if/when Eaton is hurt, I could see that.

FWIW, FG's crowdsourcing has Brantley getting 3/$45M. I can see an argument against that although I'd consider paying it if I was in charge of Jerry's money.

FG crowdsourcing has been way off in the player direction the last few years. It misses often on the highest end deals but everything below that they do poorly on.

I still write JR letters giving him some of my free advice. One of these days he might give me that interview for the GM job. I wrote him  a letter a few weeks ago  telling him if I was the GM I would sign Eaton. Maybe he took my advice.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

look another guy who can't take a joke online. I even had to add the i kid i kid because i Knew how upset you get when people don't bow before you on this forum.

You stopped posting well before I arrived buddy, and if your skin is so thin that you can't bust balls online talking about the Sox then i feel bad for you in general.

I like your posts a lot Ray Ray. You provide great insight. But for whatever reason you seem to like making things personal with the guys who have some connections (y2jimmy and rabbit). Then when you get called out on it, you just say you were joking and they can't take the jokes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WBWSF said:

I still write JR letters giving him some of my free advice. One of these days he might give me that interview for the GM job. I wrote him  a letter a few weeks ago  telling him if I was the GM I would sign Eaton. Maybe he took my advice.

if this is the case, you need to stop writing him.  You are giving the milk for free.  At least make JR pay for it or commit to you.

20 minutes ago, Jake said:

Can someone explain what happened on the radio today?

He had a very normal interview until the very end.  He answered 4-5 questions, the last 2 of which were in regards to TLR.  Once he got the third TLR question in a row this one about his issues connecting with younger players, he simply chuckled and was like "alright alright guys, I think its time.  Have a great day!".  He didn't just hang up and wasn't a colossal dick about it.  Overblown here and on twitter by people who didn't actually listen to it.  

• Like 1

Man, I really don't know...

... not super thrilled with either move (lynn or Eaton).

The White Sox filled holes, and I'll admit Eaton fills them nicely if he's superb, but you have to squint really hard to see him being that piece. 

Further, instead of looking years a head we are only making moves for the immediate next year while giving up a bit of the future. 

Not super thrilled, but i'll hold my more aggressive emotions to see what else plays out this offseason. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

He had a very normal interview until the very end.  He answered 4-5 questions, the last 2 of which were in regards to TLR.  Once he got the third TLR question in a row this one about his issues connecting with younger players, he simply chuckled and was like "alright alright guys, I think its time.  Have a great day!".  He didn't just hang up and wasn't a colossal dick about it.  Overblown here and on twitter by people who didn't actually listen to it.  

This is exactly right. Eaton's ESPN1000 interview is being way overblown. He wasn't a jerk at all and the interview as perfectly fine. I personally like the signing as well. A lot of value to be had there and I still think they sign another OF. 

Just now, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

This is exactly right. Eaton's ESPN1000 interview is being way overblown. He wasn't a jerk at all and the interview as perfectly fine. I personally like the signing as well. A lot of value to be had there and I still think they sign another OF. 

Just have the normal twitter and ST meatheads saying "OMG!!! HE JUST HUNG UP ON THE RADIO INTERVIEW! WHAT A DICK THIS IS GOING OVER SO WELL" and then other people just run with the narrative without listening to it themselves.

It was a complete non issue.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

You should get some sort of commission. If you send a Late night comedian a joke and they use it, they send you a check. You are owed.

23 minutes ago, fathom said:

Brantley was too expensive because say they had 20 million for RF and closer allotted.  Instead of paying Brantley 12 and having 8 left for a closer, they can pay Hendriks 13 and Eaton 7.

I look forward to what the rationale will then be when they dont even land Hendricks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I like your posts a lot Ray Ray. You provide great insight. But for whatever reason you seem to like making things personal with the guys who have some connections (y2jimmy and rabbit). Then when you get called out on it, you just say you were joking and they can't take the jokes. 

I like Jimmy a lot - I think he knows that; I have complimented his work plenty and even commented that for someone I don't know he seems like a heck of a guy as well.

I don't know if you haven't noticed Ron, but the insiders tend to get a bit more defensive when they are disagreed with or called out. I don't really care if you're an insider or a homeless guy living on 35th and shields, if I don't agree I'm gonna have some fun with it. Most people just joke around back and enjoy the banter, but some don't. Also, I think Jimmy knows now that I - in no way - am calling into question the validity of his thoughts. The only time he got upset was when I joked that he was carrying water because I know how much he hates Jerry and would never carry water. I hate taking these threads off tangent like this so I'll leave it there. And Ron, if you haven't figured out that I'm messing around on here by now I can't help you my friend. None of this is serious. For 1, it's baseball - a game -  and we're White Sox fans; misery is our company. Second of all, we're in the middle of the pandemic and I'm working overtime trying to further my career, get my masters and donate a lot of time to helping a lot of people in need. This is my escape from those realities.

Carl Everett for White Sox President of Baseball Operations 2021! Jerry ain't telling Carl no!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Adam Eaton is the biggest asshole who ever lived, and anything that suggests any different is just fake. Fake news. 

I don't think Adam Eaton is everyone's cup of tea, but I really doubt everyone hates him. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sockin said:

That graph actually shows all his recent seasons going back to 2014 were within career norms except 2020, and 2017 which was above. Pretty disingenuous representation there.

Still, not exactly the ecstatic response inducing move one would hope for. So many better options, they want to save a couple million now??