Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Eloy will be in year 3.Moncada, TA, Abreu, Grandal all vets. Robert would need a translator to have an idea what he is saying. Madrigal doesn’t seem like a guy who will be bothered by this. Vaughn seems like his own man. 

If he was as poison as some want to think, to fit in their narrative, the White Sox wouldn’t have paid him the money. They know him better than we do.  There are going to be similarly priced guys. At his price point , he probably was the best choice. I think Dahl might have been even a better call as he was cheaper, and yong and controlled. 

I don’t think it’s worth adding a middle tier talent that’s also got a rep for being a jerk.

But I guess things can only be brought up as an issue if they can singularly be attributed for tanking the Sox.

Will Eaton singlehandedly bring down the Sox? No. You win. 

I guess I just assumed the Sox would try to clear obstacles for this team, not add them.

• Fire 1

Both of these moves have been fine! The Sox get a solid starter for 8 million and a solid RF for 2 years and a option for only 7 million! They really gave up only 1 top prospect in Dunning. What's there not yo like? It's a hell of a lot better than giving up multi top prospects for Gray; or breaking the bank on a 1 year contract for Bauer. It seems no matter what the Sox do they get racked over the coals! If they would have  signed Bauer there still would be a ton of negative comments about what a team distraction he is. I just hope the Sox sign a closer like Hendriks and add more depth to the rotation. I still think Springer might happen; but hell I'm a positive thinker so I"m sure I'll get ripped.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t think it’s worth adding a middle tier talent that’s also got a rep for being a jerk.

But I guess things can only be brought up as an issue if they can singularly be attributed for tanking the Sox.

I guess I just assumed the Sox would try to clear obstacles for this team, not add them.

Isn't Ozzie Guillen a member of the White Sox family? Didn't he say "no one liked Eaton" on camera? I just don't get this big push from some Sox fans to disprove the narrative that has been substantiated by both Todd Frazier - who also said "Ask ANYONE in the White Sox clubhouse about Eaton" and Ozzie Guillen.

Was Ozzie Guillen personally his manager? No. Does Ozzie Guillen have relationships with guys who were his teammate? Absolutely.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

I agree the personality issue is way overblown. Issue I have is they just made an all in move giving up a long term asset for a one year rental, but then turned around and made a budget move rather than go after one of the better options. Sox were basically a .500 team against rhp. They should have got a guy who they could have put into a run producing spot in the batting order. Or if they were content with an eight hole hitter they could have got someone who would have vastly improved the defense

20 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder how the Nats were able to overcome Eatons assholeness and win a WS,

Plenty of assholes have won titles. In many cases, they were very good players who were tolerated. It's an odd choice to put up with an asshole who also isn't very good. Maybe the Sox convinced themselves it was all Robin Venturas fault... who knows.

Can you name another player you remember whose own teammates came out adamantly against them in the public sphere? It's rare for that to happen.

Just now, Vulture said:

I agree the personality issue is way overblown. Issue I have is they just made an all in move giving up a long term asset for a one year rental, but then turned around and made a budget move rather than go after one of the better options. Sox were basically a .500 team against rhp. They should have got a guy who they could have put into a run producing spot in the batting order. Or if they were content with an eight hole hitter they could have got someone who would have vastly improved the defense

This exactly. One day, they go all in on a rental SP. The next, its the scrap heap for RF.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Plenty of assholes have won titles. In many cases, they were very good players who were tolerated. It's an odd choice to put up with an asshole who also isn't very good. Maybe the Sox convinced themselves it was all Robin Venturas fault... who knows.

Can you name another player you remember whose own teammates came out adamantly against them in the public sphere? It's rare for that to happen.

AJP with the Giants,Dick Allen

Edited by Dick Allen

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

When Sox traded Eaton didn’t you intimate it wasn’t just about the rebuild but to get problem guys off team? What changed

Ventura was fired (er stepped down), Sale traded, purge ignited. Eaton wasn't the worst part of that disaster. Not even close.  

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder how the Nats were able to overcome Eatons assholeness and win a WS,

Even though he had a dbag of -2.5, his dwar was 2.5 so he ended up being a replacement level Ahole in the playoffs so the Nats were not really at a disadvantage.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Dick Allen

Read about him and the other Frank Thomas. Ironically, they eventually became friends.

The media hated Dick Allen, I don't remember a single teammate coming out against him from what I read. In fact, I remember - although this could have been later and I'll defer to your memory from when he played as I wasn't around - countless teammates coming out in support of Dick and saying the media treated him poorly and lied about him because he wasn't accessible to them.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, macsandz said:

Ventura was fired (er stepped down), Sale traded, purge ignited. Eaton wasn't the worst part of that disaster. Not even close.  

Ok but like a lot of the reason people think that here is stuff like this

On 12/7/2016 at 4:31 PM, macsandz said:
QUOTE (Deadpool @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
Cowley's been out of the beat for a while, but he thinks these moves are more indicative of Hahn running the show.

Couple of things:

This paradigm shift is all Rick taking the reigns.

Nobody will say this, but moving Chris and Adam was also about the clubhouse culture change.

in other words, not just that sox couldn’t compete with what they had, but that Adam was a reason it couldn’t turn around.

Now he just is a guy that keeps to himself I guess.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Ok but like a lot of the reason people think that here is stuff like this

in other words, not just that sox couldn’t compete with what they had, but that Adam was a reason it couldn’t turn around.

Now he just is a guy that keeps to himself I guess.

Uh, did you just dagger this poor soul right before the holiday's?

3 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Not sure more power is a key concern right now. 

Have you checked the Sox numbers against RHP? The Sox were virtually unbeatable against LHP and .500 against RHP. Sox need someone who can produce against RHP. A's exploited this in playoffs. 

27 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

People will forgive good players. The problem with Eaton is that he's an asshole and he absolutely sucks. 

Absolutely sucks? A bit over an overstatement, don't you think? No, his 41 games (or whatever it was) in 2020 were not his best. A host of players had poor 2020 seasons, including Joc (who I also like). But Eaton definitely does not absolutely suck and I still think they sign another OF bat.

2 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Have you checked the Sox numbers against RHP? The Sox were virtually unbeatable against LHP and .500 against RHP. Sox need someone who can produce against RHP. A's exploited this in playoffs. 

But I’m sure Joc isn’t good enough for the Sox but good enough for that crappy Dodgers franchise 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Isn't Ozzie Guillen a member of the White Sox family? Didn't he say "no one liked Eaton" on camera? I just don't get this big push from some Sox fans to disprove the narrative that has been substantiated by both Todd Frazier - who also said "Ask ANYONE in the White Sox clubhouse about Eaton" and Ozzie Guillen.

Was Ozzie Guillen personally his manager? No. Does Ozzie Guillen have relationships with guys who were his teammate? Absolutely.

Nobody is stating that this wasn't the case in 2016. As far as Ozzie goes, I don't recall Eaton quitting on his team and demanding to be let out of his contract prior to the season ending, only to totally blow up within a year... Nationals seemed to function just fine with Eaton in the OF. 

Sure the guy was an asshole in 2016. We're going into 2021. A lot can change over the years for everyone. I know my life is unbelievably different than even a year ago. It's a low cost, low risk, high reward signing. It isn't the end of the world either way and could end up being a hell of a value. 

• Like 1

Just now, ptatc said:

Did you hear Steve Stone and his introduction to Dick Allen? Hilarious but not necessarily a kind first impreesion.

Most of his teammates loved him but he had some detractors. Of course some were back in the days when it was all racism, but Dick wasn’t always innocent. I read he was sent home 3 times for showing up hungover, and unable to play.

Most teams have their fair share of guys who aren’t necessarily guys you want as next door neighbors. I just think the Eaton stuff has run its course. 2005 zoom meeting last year talked about a fight between AJP and Carl Everett when Everett had his kid in the clubhouse after the deadline. Yet somehow that team still won. Eaton isn’t going to poison the team. He might suck, but that is the risk you take when you budget $7 million in free agency for the position.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bmags said:

Completely different scenarios. One a toxic clubhouse under a passive manager in which Eaton was a top player, the other a clubhouse with a clear hierarchy of veteran leadership supported by the entire clubhouse where Eaton will be just another player, under a manager who takes no guff. Then you've got Howie Kendrick claiming Eaton is "one of the best teammates, if not the best, I ever had." I suppose he could be lying, but that suggests the Eaton is toxic narrative might be slightly overblown.