Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Most of his teammates loved him but he had some detractors. Of course some were back in the days when it was all racism, but Dick wasn’t always innocent. I read he was sent home 3 times for showing up hungover, and unable to play.

Most teams have their fair share of guys who aren’t necessarily guys you want as next door neighbors. I just think the Eaton stuff has run its course. 2005 zoom meeting last year talked about a fight between AJP and Carl Everett when Everett had his kid in the clubhouse after the deadline. Yet somehow that team still won. Eaton isn’t going to poison the team. He might suck, but that is the risk you take when you budget $7 million in free agency for the position.

I'm not saying its good or bad. As you know how i feel about AJP from personal experience. I just loved the story. Not everyone needs to get along in a clubhouse. The problems happen when there becomes to factions that start getting into it and disrupts the entire clubhouse. Everyone can deal with the ass in the corner just like people do in an office.

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Eaton isn’t going to poison the team. He might suck, but that is the risk you take when you budget $7 million in free agency for the position.

I figured if they could knowingly spend $8 million on Yonder Alonso, they might be able to at least hit 8 figures in a year in which they are trying to win.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don’t think it’s worth adding a middle tier talent that’s also got a rep for being a jerk.

But I guess things can only be brought up as an issue if they can singularly be attributed for tanking the Sox.

Will Eaton singlehandedly bring down the Sox? No. You win. 

I guess I just assumed the Sox would try to clear obstacles for this team, not add them.

I don't know, I do make the assumption they know the player and the fit. Like I said earlier, let's try to remember it isn't 2016 anymore and not get hung up on a single player. Eaton isn't adding obstacles to any of these guys. Neither is TLR (I wanted Hinch or Fuld). 

31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

defense apparently isn't a concern either. so power and defense weren't a concern when acquiring a right fielder. Brilliant work

Who are these high power, great defensive RF we're choosing from? Outside of Springer, the best-case scenario was finding a solid platoon with Engel. Eaton can fill that role nicely with Engel. I still the Sox add another OF bat as well. We'll see what happens. 

Edited by Stealth G.O.A.T.

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Isn't Ozzie Guillen a member of the White Sox family? Didn't he say "no one liked Eaton" on camera? I just don't get this big push from some Sox fans to disprove the narrative that has been substantiated by both Todd Frazier - who also said "Ask ANYONE in the White Sox clubhouse about Eaton" and Ozzie Guillen.

Was Ozzie Guillen personally his manager? No. Does Ozzie Guillen have relationships with guys who were his teammate? Absolutely.

I think there are two sides to everything. I’m sure Eaton can be a dick, but he’s also a winner (like AJ). I’ve played sports with guys like that. I love having them on my team. Other guys on my team hated it. But if you’re winning, none of that really matters. 

Here’s an example of somebody who said he’s one of the best teammates he’s ever had:

“When I was playing against him, he’s that guy that rubs you wrong a little bit,” veteran infielder Howie Kendrick told NBC Sports Chicago. “But once you get on a team with him, he’s probably one of the best teammates, if not the best teammate that I’ve ever had.”

“On that (World Series) team, he was one of the biggest pieces for us because of the way he went about the game and his ability to play all facets of the game, whether it’s moving runners, bunting, speed and obviously his defense,” Kendrick explained. “You go back and watch those tapes and it definitely shows.

“As far as clubhouses go, you need guys like Adam to be around, especially if there’s young players. He’s not afraid to talk to guys. He’s not afraid to be who he is. I think that he rubs off on other people, the way he plays the game. He lent information to the young guys (Juan Soto and Víctor Robles) about approaching situations in the outfield, whether it was throwing to bases or certain situations during the game, those guys would always talk.”

• Like 2

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I think there are two sides to everything. I’m sure Eaton can be a dick, but he’s also a winner (like AJ). I’ve played sports with guys like that. I love having them on my team. Other guys on my team hated it. But if you’re winning, none of that really matters. 

Here’s an example of somebody who said he’s one of the best teammates he’s ever had:

“When I was playing against him, he’s that guy that rubs you wrong a little bit,” veteran infielder Howie Kendrick told NBC Sports Chicago. “But once you get on a team with him, he’s probably one of the best teammates, if not the best teammate that I’ve ever had.”

“On that (World Series) team, he was one of the biggest pieces for us because of the way he went about the game and his ability to play all facets of the game, whether it’s moving runners, bunting, speed and obviously his defense,” Kendrick explained. “You go back and watch those tapes and it definitely shows.

“As far as clubhouses go, you need guys like Adam to be around, especially if there’s young players. He’s not afraid to talk to guys. He’s not afraid to be who he is. I think that he rubs off on other people, the way he plays the game. He lent information to the young guys (Juan Soto and Víctor Robles) about approaching situations in the outfield, whether it was throwing to bases or certain situations during the game, those guys would always talk.”

You have to wonder if they brought him back because of the way the team fell apart after clinching the division? The comment here about the young guys seems pertinent.

32 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Isn't Ozzie Guillen a member of the White Sox family? Didn't he say "no one liked Eaton" on camera? I just don't get this big push from some Sox fans to disprove the narrative that has been substantiated by both Todd Frazier - who also said "Ask ANYONE in the White Sox clubhouse about Eaton" and Ozzie Guillen.

Was Ozzie Guillen personally his manager? No. Does Ozzie Guillen have relationships with guys who were his teammate? Absolutely.

Well, Todd Frazier and Laroche had plenty they contributed to that, and so did Sale. They were all better at cultivating a public personality than Eaton, but there was plenty about each of these people that could easily rub others the wrong way.  That was a horribly constructed clubhouse.

And don't even get me started on Ozzie. 

Eaton is definitely far from innocent, but I think he got the bulk of the blame and that wasn't totally fair. I get those who don't want him back - it's a fair argument- and is likely an unnecessary risk, but that fits the TLR decision and theme of the offseason. I've been one of the loudest members here against the TLR hiring, but I think he can handle an Eaton in the clubhouse. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Clearly not because they've been trying to get rid of him for 3 years now. 

They tried to get rid of him so hard they just rode his bat to a championship despite having Betts, Bellinger, Pollock, Taylor, Rios and Smith to cover of/dh. Benched a guy who hit 16 HR in 55 games to keep him in the lineup. Beyond Betts and Bellinger, they had the 16 HR guy, an .842 OPS guy in Taylor, Rios with 1 home run per 11 ABs. Just because he's redundant on a team with two of the best outfielders in the game, stacked with left handed hitters, along with these other options in the outfield, doesn't mean he wouldn't have been a considerable upgrade for a team that struggled to produce against rhp. 

• Like 2

Just now, Vulture said:

They tried to get rid of him so hard they just rode his bat to a championship despite having Betts, Bellinger, Pollock, Taylor, Rios and Smith to cover of/dh. Benched a guy who hit 16 HR in 55 games to keep him in the lineup. Beyond Betts and Bellinger, they had the 16 HR guy, an .842 OPS guy in Taylor, Rios with 1 home run per 11 ABs. Just because he's redundant on a team with two of the best outfielders in the game, stacked with left handed hitters, along with these other options in the outfield, doesn't mean he wouldn't have been a considerable upgrade for a team that struggled to produce against rhp. 

The Nationals rode Eaton's bat to a title. Both of these guys are solid if they perform like they can. I prefer Joc but I see some upside in Eaton IF he can get some of his mojo back here. Liking the Joc or Eaton deal for me would also be contingent on if we sign a quality DH, a second starter, and Hendriks. 

I thought an old article popped up. Sigh at least this will bring us back to some good news . . .

Good news Ricky is out

Bad news TLR is in. 

Good news Lynn is in

Bad news Eaton is back. 

Good news . . .

I'm kind of yeah,  ok,  shut up and play and we'll be fine about the move. 

16 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The Nationals rode Eaton's bat to a title. Both of these guys are solid if they perform like they can. I prefer Joc but I see some upside in Eaton IF he can get some of his mojo back here. Liking the Joc or Eaton deal for me would also be contingent on if we sign a quality DH, a second starter, and Hendriks. 

True, but Eaton isn't a guy you can plug in fifth in the order to rectify the problem of run production against rhp. Maybe they still sign Pederson or another left handed run producer. If that's the case I hope they are prepared to bench Eaton in favor of Vaughn.

1 hour ago, RCWHITESOX said:

Both of these moves have been fine! The Sox get a solid starter for 8 million and a solid RF for 2 years and a option for only 7 million! They really gave up only 1 top prospect in Dunning. What's there not yo like? It's a hell of a lot better than giving up multi top prospects for Gray; or breaking the bank on a 1 year contract for Bauer. It seems no matter what the Sox do they get racked over the coals! If they would have  signed Bauer there still would be a ton of negative comments about what a team distraction he is. I just hope the Sox sign a closer like Hendriks and add more depth to the rotation. I still think Springer might happen; but hell I'm a positive thinker so I"m sure I'll get ripped.

Welcome to my very small club.  You make some excellent points IMO.

23 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Three long time pals who are solid baseball fans, non White Sox fans, by the way, all contacted me today saying how much they liked the moves for the Sox.  Just sayin'.

Come on. Is this supposed to be a legitimate argument? 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Come on. Is this supposed to be a legitimate argument? 

Yes??? It shows that this board isn't the only place that Sox fans have opinions. Not everyone hates everything the Sox do (unlike a lot of this board). Message boards tend to be one giant echo chamber..

Edited by Chisoxmb35