Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

I wanted Brantley to DH. He could’ve really helped this club offensively a lot more than Eaton. Just hope Eaton crashing into walls doesn’t happen a lot and Robert doesn’t learn that shit from him. We need Robert healthy. They talked about Robin Ventura talking to Eaton about that years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

There’s gotta be some arb raises in there, but I’ve spent zero time thinking about it. Probably not much. 

Arb is probably going to bring it to around 110 million or slightly less, plus 15 for Eaton/Lynn about 125. I think Gio is the only one looking at a substantial sum but in first year probably not too crazy. '22-23 is when it starts to become more of a concern with escalating contracts to Anderson, Jimenez, Robert and more arb. If you assume a decline on Eaton, baseline closer to 125-130 mil in those years as it already stands. Of course we don't know what the payroll limitations actually are, so who knows anyway

6 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Arb is probably going to bring it to around 110 million or slightly less, plus 15 for Eaton/Lynn about 125. I think Gio is the only one looking at a substantial sum but in first year probably not too crazy. '22-23 is when it starts to become more of a concern with escalating contracts to Anderson, Jimenez, Robert and more arb. If you assume a decline on Eaton, baseline closer to 125-130 mil in those years as it already stands. Of course we don't know what the payroll limitations actually are, so who knows anyway

They’ve done a great job at cost control/certainty

4 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Solid addition. We know he's an everyday RF and TLR will love him. I get people love Joc but Joc is a platoon player. Eaton can play everyday

Last 4 years for Eaton:

Last 4 years for platoon player Joc

The platoon player plays much more than the "everyday" player.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, nitetrain8601 said:

Last 4 years for Eaton:

Last 4 years for platoon player Joc

The platoon player plays much more than the "everyday" player.

Joc isnt going to sign a 1 year deal that keeps the Sox flexible.

Jocs deal could be for 20mil+ over the total length of Eatons.

Im no Eaton fan, but getting 1 year guys to go with their young core isn't the worst idea.

Edited by Soxbadger

57 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

The only person I really could see Eaton clashing with on this team would be Anderson. Both seem to have "type-A" personalities. Eaton seems to have more of an "old-school" approach and thought process...while Anderson obviously does not.

But, Eaton did sign, and he knows what this team is about. He obviously thinks he can win another world series here, so I doubt he would instigate anything.

Nick Madrigal will get major props from Tim and most likely everyone else if he kicks Adam Eaton's ass sometime in Spring Training.

34 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

$12M for Hendriks, $9M to $10M for SP (hopefully Richards), $3M to $4M for DH / bench bat

Yep...agreed on Hendricks. Richards or Paxton works for me. Hoping we have moved on from Quintana but it feels as though he is very much in the picture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danny Dravot said:

Maybe I’m out of the loop, but why is Eaton an asshole exactly? Did it have to do with the LaRoche situation? Is that it?

He got traded by Arizona cause his teammates hated him. I remember those stories came out back in 2014 and 2015 and most Sox fans just ignored it since Eaton produced and seemed like a nice enough guy. 

Then the Drake LaRoche thing happened in 2016. A lot of it got blamed on him since he stupidly called a pre-teen a leader on a Major League baseball team. He also got into it with Todd Frazier, who is one of the more well-liked guys in baseball. I think Eaton just rubs people the wrong way. The only plus is that he has to respect someone like TLR and management should have a much better grasp of the clubhouse than in 2016. 

28 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Joc isnt going to sign a 1 year deal that keeps the Sox flexible.

Jocs deal could be for 20mil+ over the total length of Eatons.

Im no Eaton fan, but getting 1 year guys to go with their young core isn't the worst idea.

On the surface, I'm fine with Eaton. He's regressing badly and he sucks, but I think we only need a competent RF that can catch the ball. Offense won't be hard to find in this line up. What I am worried about is a disruptive presence in the clubhouse. I want this to be the kid's team. I want it to be TA's team. They have a ton of fire, and I'd hate for some brojockdude like Eaton to mess up the chemistry. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I'd hate for some brojockdude like Eaton to mess up the chemistry. 

That's not gonna happen with Abreu  . He is still El Capitan  and this is a different Sox team then the one Eaton was on.

Plus Kenny Williams laid down the law with LaRoach and Sale when Hahn and Ventura lacked the balls to do it, and KW will be watching again  to see if Eaton tries to go rogue again or cops an attitude.. Bottom line,,,Eaton will be on a short leash. He barks, he gone.

2 minutes ago, tray said:

That's not gonna happen with Abreu  . He is still El Capitan  and this is a different Sox team then the one Eaton was on.

Plus Kenny Williams laid down the law with LaRoach and Sale when Hahn and Ventura lacked the balls to do it, and KW will be watching again  to see if Eaton tries to go rogue again or cops an attitude.. Bottom line,,,Eaton will be on a short leash. He barks, he gone.

Abreu seems pretty laid back and nonconfrontational. I could be wrong, but TA seems like the catalyst for this team. He seems like a natural leader. Abreu seems much more like a father figure type. 

31 minutes ago, chw42 said:

He got traded by Arizona cause his teammates hated him. I remember those stories came out back in 2014 and 2015 and most Sox fans just ignored it since Eaton produced and seemed like a nice enough guy. 

Then the Drake LaRoche thing happened in 2016. A lot of it got blamed on him since he stupidly called a pre-teen a leader on a Major League baseball team. He also got into it with Todd Frazier, who is one of the more well-liked guys in baseball. I think Eaton just rubs people the wrong way. The only plus is that he has to respect someone like TLR and management should have a much better grasp of the clubhouse than in 2016. 

His response to the post sox kerfuffle with Frazier was super fuckin weird too. 

demanding respect because he pays a mortgage. 

I'm not the world's biggest Eaton fan but he's a productive player that plays his ass off and wants to win every game.

He was far down the list of toxic douchebag offenders on that 2016 team starting with Frazier, Latos, Sale, LaRoche, Lawrie and Rollins..etc. 

It's a wonder they didn't kill each other while Ventura was surfing his phone in his office. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sockin said:

9 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

1257318.jpg

So we went through a rebuild so JR could turn to his old trusty method of tier 3.   Hope Eaton isnt on the 60 day DL by June.

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

So what formerly decent reliever is coming off of a bad year and/or injuries so I can prepare for his signing as closer to finish out the pen?

I am Groot