Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Anyone else read Greenberg’s article about Eaton in The Athletic?  What a pathetic attempt by the writer to make Eaton seem worse than he is.  It was a hit piece that made me actually want to root for Eaton.

Yeah. Kind of laughable attempt that seemed to have an outside agenda.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's actually a good thing . It shows you're a good listener and are willing to soften a previous hard line stance.

Oh no, I'm still firmly against this signing. I just don't think we need to extrapolate LaRoche's politics onto Eaton to make him worse. I just think he isn't good enough to also have to worry about baggage. Notice how much less tolerated Puig is now that he sucks.

28 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea but Yearnin' for Yermin isn't the only thing he's yearnin' for. He also yearns for those laughy emots. and winning the day. Doing it at the expense of Caulfield will always get you those.

If you enjoy my post, remember to give me a like by hitting the heart button in the bottom right side of my post. Thanks, folks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

I think it would be funny and show a sign of good humor on both side's part if they introduced him at the press conference with a 1976 jersey bearing his name.  Maybe even put a few patched up areas on it

He kept the jersey Sale ripped up I believe 

Very simple question. Was he the best player they could have gotten to play right field? If no, which I don't think he is, it's a bad move. That simple. Because money shouldn't be an object, because we have plenty to spend.  But, of course, with our organization it always is. Constantly trying to bargain shop. So if anyone wants to argue that he is the best player available, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Sell me on that. But if you don't think he was the best available player, don't try and argue. Because that will simply mean the White Sox went cheap and I refuse to listen to any reasons why that should be. Money tight because of no fans in the stands? Terrible excuse because everyone had that problem last year. 

4 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Very simple question. Was he the best player they could have gotten to play right field? If no, which I don't think he is, it's a bad move. That simple. Because money shouldn't be an object, because we have plenty to spend.  But, of course, with our organization it always is. Constantly trying to bargain shop. So if anyone wants to argue that he is the best player available, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Sell me on that. But if you don't think he was the best available player, don't try and argue. Because that will simply mean the White Sox went cheap and I refuse to listen to any reasons why that should be. Money tight because of no fans in the stands? Terrible excuse because everyone had that problem last year. 

But who are these other teams spending a ton of money?  I’m sure the Sox made less money in 2020 than they projected, and that’s hurt the 2021 budget.  It sucks Jerry is such a crappy owner, I agree though.  Yes Eaton was the cheap option.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

But who are these other teams spending a ton of money?  I’m sure the Sox made less money in 2020 than they projected, and that’s hurt the 2021 budget.  It sucks Jerry is such a crappy owner, I agree though.  Yes Eaton was the cheap option.

Good question in asking "But who are these other teams spending a ton of money?" EXCELLENT question in fact!! The answer to that is whoever signs Bauer or Springer I guess? Unless they'd be willing to take less because of the current economics? And if they were, couldn't the White Sox have still been in the running for them?

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

The Sox saved during the rebuild and at this point have an average payroll. I wouldn't be shocked if JR was happy he had an excuse to not spend big (not saying he wants the pandemic to be the result just an excuse)

4 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I still cannot believe this happened. This is a signing you make in March after striking out with like 7 other guys and even then I would be mad they signed Eaton. I said before that this was the same old White Sox, but honestly this might be a new low.

Besides Springer, please list the better FA options.  I assume one will be Joc, which is somewhat arguable, but I'll give you that one.  

But after that......who are the other 5 guys?  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Besides Springer, please list the better FA options.  I assume one will be Joc, which is somewhat arguable, but I'll give you that one.   

But after that......who are the other 5 guys?  

• Rosario
  • Bradley Jr
  • Robbie Grossman
  • David Dahl
  • Ozuna
  • Schwarber
  • Brantley

Some of these you're splitting hairs, but I don't know how anyone thinks this is anything but a terrible signing.

• Haha 1

You know, I'm in the market for a guitar.  And the other day, I saw this beautiful Fender Custom shop Tele.  Butterscotch blonde, heavy relic finish.  Just beautiful.  Custom Pickups.  The thing is freaking awesome.  And I could buy it.  I have the money to do it.  But, if I buy it, then I have less (like almost none) money to buy stuff for my wife and kids for Christmas.  They've all had tough years.  I'd like to spoil them a bit.  But I'd also like the guitar.  I've been saving for one and researching them for a while.  And you know, I think I deserve it (probably not, but I want it).  So you know, it isn't one or the other.  I was able to find another Telecaster that I really like.  Not custom pickups, but sounds great.  Not a vintage guitar, not the relic finish, which I love.  But it looks great.  Cool looking guitar.  Sounds great.  And you know, I have other guitars.  Ones with the some of the fancier features, and with really cool finishes on them.   This one will be a little different, but it will still fit in.  With this in mind, I think I'm going with the second Tele I mentioned.  Its like 25% of the price of the other one.  And it gives me more money to spend on other things I need to buy.  Maybe even get some stuff we don't really need, but would be nice for the kids to have.  

Just thinking out loud.  

18 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I still cannot believe this happened. This is a signing you make in March after striking out with like 7 other guys and even then I would be mad they signed Eaton. I said before that this was the same old White Sox, but honestly this might be a new low.

It was stated on MLB Network that 6 other teams were interested in Eaton. If you take away 2020, which we also are doing for Joc and a few others, Eaton is a very solid signing. He puts bat on the ball against righties and has decent pop for an 8 hitter. I don't know what happened with his defense, but hopefully it can get figured out as well. Eaton was definitely not my first choice, but it's not the end of the world as an 8 hitter and the cost. 

5 minutes ago, TomPickle said:
  • Rosario
  • Bradley Jr
  • Robbie Grossman
  • David Dahl
  • Ozuna
  • Schwarber
  • Brantley

Some of these you're splitting hairs, but I don't know how anyone thinks this is anything but a terrible signing.

The bolded guys are a no go for various reasons. Either they are always hurt, unplayable in the field, haven't produced long enough, or are in a sharp decline. Those guys may be on par with Eaton, but none of them are clear upgrades. Brantley and Ozuna are, but those two may be DH's at this point. 

Edited by SonofaRoache

• Rosario - not a RF
  • Bradley Jr - I'll give you this one
  • Robbie Grossman - I'll give you this one
  • David Dahl - not that different than Eaton. He was terrible last year and is injury prone
  • Ozuna - not a RF
  • Schwarber - not a RF
  • Brantley - not a RF

Guessing the other guys all wanted multi-year deals, though. It's pretty obvious the Sox only wanted a short-term deal. I'd guess Eaton's option is only picked up if he's back to the player he was before they traded him.

The White Sox should be aiming higher than Adam Eaton. They traded assets to acquire a cheap #2 starter and then turned around less than a day later and cheaped out again in RF. What is the point of tearing down to rebuild and save money if you aren't going to acquire a guy like Springer when the market is wide open for you to do it?

Just now, TomPickle said:

The White Sox should be aiming higher than Adam Eaton. They traded assets to acquire a cheap #2 starter and then turned around less than a day later and cheaped out again in RF. What is the point of tearing down to rebuild and save money if you aren't going to acquire a guy like Springer when the market is wide open for you to do it?

They should be aiming higher. But if they sign a few more key guys then I am okay with it. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

They should be aiming higher. But if they sign a few more key guys then I am okay with it. 

There are two key guys that make any sense for this team and the White Sox made it extremely clear they are not going to bother trying to sign either one of them.

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Some of those guys are a lot better than Eaton in certain areas.  But I don't think any of them are clear cut, other than Brantley, who is clearly the best player on the list.  And clearly better than Eaton.  But what is he going to cost?  I think I'd rather have Eaton and Hendriks, than just Brantley.  Or than Brantley and Keona Kela or someone like that.  

It'd be nice to not have to worry about budgetary constraints.  But that isn't the Sox and doesn't look like it will ever be the Sox.  There are several scenarios where Eaton is an economical decision that allows for other upgrades.  And thereby makes sense.  

Eaton is mediocre at everything and also can't stay healthy. I'd rather have Springer and nobody than Eaton and Hendriks.

You have to play to your strengths. The Sox are pretty good at getting decent young relievers seemingly out of nowhere and are absolutely terrible at signing mid level free agents and getting them to be even 0 WAR players.

Edited by TomPickle
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

You know, I'm in the market for a guitar.  And the other day, I saw this beautiful Fender Custom shop Tele.  Butterscotch blonde, heavy relic finish.  Just beautiful.  Custom Pickups.  The thing is freaking awesome.  And I could buy it.  I have the money to do it.  But, if I buy it, then I have less (like almost none) money to buy stuff for my wife and kids for Christmas.  They've all had tough years.  I'd like to spoil them a bit.  But I'd also like the guitar.  I've been saving for one and researching them for a while.  And you know, I think I deserve it (probably not, but I want it).  So you know, it isn't one or the other.  I was able to find another Telecaster that I really like.  Not custom pickups, but sounds great.  Not a vintage guitar, not the relic finish, which I love.  But it looks great.  Cool looking guitar.  Sounds great.  And you know, I have other guitars.  Ones with the some of the fancier features, and with really cool finishes on them.   This one will be a little different, but it will still fit in.  With this in mind, I think I'm going with the second Tele I mentioned.  Its like 25% of the price of the other one.  And it gives me more money to spend on other things I need to buy.  Maybe even get some stuff we don't really need, but would be nice for the kids to have.  

Just thinking out loud.  

Interesting analogy. But that all being said, you'd BETTER spend the money on the things that "it gives me more money to spend on other things I need to buy." Will the White Sox?

16 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Just thinking out loud.  

Are you a professional musician?

• Like 1