Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

Maybe I'm underrating him or have missed something, but how is Robbie Grossman in any way a superior player to Adam Eaton.  Looking quickly at his BBref page, 6.7 career WAR in 8 years.  Negative dWAR.  Can't particularly hit.  No real power.  Doesn't really steal bases.  Takes some walks, so that's nice.  But even that last 2 years, he is worse than Eaton in every category along the slash line.  

What am I missing with him?  He seems like the quintessential replacement player.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

You know, I'm in the market for a guitar.  And the other day, I saw this beautiful Fender Custom shop Tele.  Butterscotch blonde, heavy relic finish.  Just beautiful.  Custom Pickups.  The thing is freaking awesome.  And I could buy it.  I have the money to do it.  But, if I buy it, then I have less (like almost none) money to buy stuff for my wife and kids for Christmas.  They've all had tough years.  I'd like to spoil them a bit.  But I'd also like the guitar.  I've been saving for one and researching them for a while.  And you know, I think I deserve it (probably not, but I want it).  So you know, it isn't one or the other.  I was able to find another Telecaster that I really like.  Not custom pickups, but sounds great.  Not a vintage guitar, not the relic finish, which I love.  But it looks great.  Cool looking guitar.  Sounds great.  And you know, I have other guitars.  Ones with the some of the fancier features, and with really cool finishes on them.   This one will be a little different, but it will still fit in.  With this in mind, I think I'm going with the second Tele I mentioned.  Its like 25% of the price of the other one.  And it gives me more money to spend on other things I need to buy.  Maybe even get some stuff we don't really need, but would be nice for the kids to have.  

Just thinking out loud.  

Get an Adam Jones Custom Signature Lea Paul... or if going the acoustic route, Lowden all day.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

You know, I'm in the market for a guitar.  And the other day, I saw this beautiful Fender Custom shop Tele.  Butterscotch blonde, heavy relic finish.  Just beautiful.  Custom Pickups.  The thing is freaking awesome.  And I could buy it.  I have the money to do it.  But, if I buy it, then I have less (like almost none) money to buy stuff for my wife and kids for Christmas.  They've all had tough years.  I'd like to spoil them a bit.  But I'd also like the guitar.  I've been saving for one and researching them for a while.  And you know, I think I deserve it (probably not, but I want it).  So you know, it isn't one or the other.  I was able to find another Telecaster that I really like.  Not custom pickups, but sounds great.  Not a vintage guitar, not the relic finish, which I love.  But it looks great.  Cool looking guitar.  Sounds great.  And you know, I have other guitars.  Ones with the some of the fancier features, and with really cool finishes on them.   This one will be a little different, but it will still fit in.  With this in mind, I think I'm going with the second Tele I mentioned.  Its like 25% of the price of the other one.  And it gives me more money to spend on other things I need to buy.  Maybe even get some stuff we don't really need, but would be nice for the kids to have.  

Just thinking out loud.  

You should win the day for this.

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Maybe I'm underrating him or have missed something, but how is Robbie Grossman in any way a superior player to Adam Eaton.  Looking quickly at his BBref page, 6.7 career WAR in 8 years.  Negative dWAR.  Can't particularly hit.  No real power.  Doesn't really steal bases.  Takes some walks, so that's nice.  But even that last 2 years, he is worse than Eaton in every category along the slash line.  

What am I missing with him?  He seems like the quintessential replacement player.  

He was just spewing names.

17 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Just thinking out loud.  

Great story. It is amazing how we look out for the wives and kids. I grew up in projects/public housing and spoil my kids and to a lesser degree, wife. (Except for the ebay story lol) I now have three refrigerators full of food and a den full of the toys I never had as a kid, like that amazing big wheel car. Wait, I may be spoiling myself, I am selfish. 😥 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Just thinking out loud.  

I think we are in the toy ukulele section of the post season.

20 minutes ago, TomPickle said:
  • Rosario
  • Bradley Jr
  • Robbie Grossman
  • David Dahl
  • Ozuna
  • Schwarber
  • Brantley

Some of these you're splitting hairs, but I don't know how anyone thinks this is anything but a terrible signing.

Yeah, no.  Ozuna, Schwaber, Rosasrio and Brantley are DHs and Sox would have a clown show OF.  I probably would have made it work for Brantley, but you pretty much have to sign a guy like Eaton with him anyway.  You can't rely on Brantley to play 150+ games in RF, especially with Eloy in LF.  Defense would be so bad.  

I like Dahl as an option too, but again, can't go into the season penciling Dahl in as the everyday RF.  He can still be an option even with Eaton signed.  

JBJ I wouldn't have minded, but I think he's at least on par with Eaton.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Eaton is going to be a below replacement level player so a replacement level player is an upgrade. Grossman also made adjustments to his swing last year and drastically improved his performance. SSS or whatever you want to say, but those games did, in fact, happen for both Eaton and Grossman.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

Are you a professional musician?

No, working on it though.  😁

It doesn't really matter though does it.  No matter if it is personal or professional, we all have budget constraints to some degree.  If I spend a dollar here, it means I can't spend it there.  I know I have to be judicious about where I spend my money.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

He's not good.  

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Get an Adam Jones Custom Signature Lea Paul... or if going the acoustic route, Lowden all day.

I'm a GIbson guy.  I have a Les Paul and  a Custom Firebird (my favorite).  I have a real nice Martin Acoustic, which was my last guitar purchase a few years back.  And the Customer Les Paul, well let's just say, I'm on a White Sox budget and that's more of a Gerrit Cole...  And the guy on the homepage of Lowden is Ed Sheeran?  Yikes.  I'm not familiar with them but that seems like a non starter for me!🤣

• Like 1

Robbie Grossman was worth nearly 2 WAR more than Eaton in 2020 over the course of 51 and 41 games, respectively. Grossman had a higher WRC+ than Eaton has had in any season of his career and he's likely to sign for less money than Eaton just signed for.

🤣LMAO HE SUCKS THO😄

7 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Robbie Grossman was worth nearly 2 WAR more than Eaton in 2020 over the course of 51 and 41 games, respectively. Grossman had a higher WRC+ than Eaton has had in any season of his career and he's likely to sign for less money than Eaton just signed for.

🤣LMAO HE SUCKS THO😄

Robbie has had one good season and a lot of bad to meh. That one good season was also only 60 games. He is not a clear upgrade over Eaton. 

• Like 2

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Robbie has had one good season and a lot of bad to meh. That one good season was also only 60 games. He is not a clear upgrade over Eaton. 

Right, I'm not banging on the table that Robbie Grossman was the guy the White Sox should have signed. He would also be a disappointment, but when he signs it will probably be after the players that are clearly better than him are signed elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I'm a GIbson guy.  I have a Les Paul and  a Custom Firebird (my favorite).  I have a real nice Martin Acoustic, which was my last guitar purchase a few years back.  And the Customer Les Paul, well let's just say, I'm on a White Sox budget and that's more of a Gerrit Cole...  And the guy on the homepage of Lowden is Ed Sheeran?  Yikes.  I'm not familiar with them but that seems like a non starter for me!🤣

Yea the Sheeran deal with Lowden clouds the greatness of the brand. Lowden is absolutely stunning. Better than Martin and Taylor.

Check this out:

https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/instrument-demos/lowden-thomas-leeb-signature-model/

4 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Right, I'm not banging on the table that Robbie Grossman was the guy the White Sox should have signed. He would also be a disappointment, but when he signs it will probably be after the players that are clearly better than him are signed elsewhere.

I actually liked grossman but one thing that is weird with him is he usually has pretty extreme splits but sometimes he's much better vs righties, others vs lefties. Obviously we'd prefer vs righties next year which was what he did in 2020. But he was also basically unplayable vs lefties, worse than even Joc last year. Switch hitters!

30 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

No, working on it though.  😁

It doesn't really matter though does it.  No matter if it is personal or professional, we all have budget constraints to some degree.  If I spend a dollar here, it means I can't spend it there.  I know I have to be judicious about where I spend my money.  

I think it does, the reason why we like a guy like springer is we think the truly overwhelming offense at that point is so strong that it can carry forward a more balanced approach across the roster. 

I don't know how that compares to my household unless you are trying to measure your absolute happiness or something. 

But we've seen a lot of "spread the money around" offseasons where the affordable guys were affordable because they were about to fall off a cliff due to age. And that is the question, are we actually adding quality depth or just giving ourselves flexibility to add the next round of budget guys next year?

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Just thinking out loud.  

I would suggest buying the nice stuff for your wife and kids first then see how much you have for the guitar because it sounds like there are a few you would like. I mean this is a good analogy but you ignore other guitars that could’ve been had also for a cheap price that might’ve fit in better. (But who am I to talk, my bass is a cheap Hofner rip off haha)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Eaton is going to be a below replacement level player so a replacement level player is an upgrade. Grossman also made adjustments to his swing last year and drastically improved his performance. SSS or whatever you want to say, but those games did, in fact, happen for both Eaton and Grossman.

What do you think Eaton's WAR will be if he plays around 150 games?

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

Just thinking out loud.  

Too bad you're not Jerry Reinsdorf, you'd have money for the Fender and your family's Christmas.

• Haha 1