Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He was an impact guy when his defense was strong.

It all comes down to health.  If Eaton is healthy he's going to be a solid player next year.  Is it what I'd have done holistically as an approach to RF?  Probably not, but it's not a bad signing.  I think the range of outcomes is pretty decent.  

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

He was an impact guy when his defense was strong.

Outside of two very very strong defensive seasons, he's been pretty consistent on that front overall. Where his value seems to vary is based on health. When he's healthy, he seems to have solid output.  When he's not, like a lot of players when they're not healthy, he doesn't. As you alluded to in a previous post, I think his value will live and die this season on his health. Platooning with Engel and maybe even getting some time at DH should help in this area. It'll be interesting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

No, working on it though.  😁

It doesn't really matter though does it.  No matter if it is personal or professional, we all have budget constraints to some degree.  If I spend a dollar here, it means I can't spend it there.  I know I have to be judicious about where I spend my money.  

You will undoubtedly enjoy whatever you buy because it didn't come easy.  If we were Yankee fans we wouldn't be hoping to sign Bauer & Springer...we would "expect" it.

4 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Outside of two very very strong defensive seasons, he's been pretty consistent on that front overall. Where his value seems to vary is based on health. When he's healthy, he seems to have solid output.  When he's not, like a lot of players when they're not healthy, he doesn't. As you alluded to in a previous post, I think his value will live and die this season on his health. Platooning with Engel and maybe even getting some time at DH should help in this area. It'll be interesting. 

When you say consistent, you mean bad right?

Since 2015, he's had one season where he's graded out + defensively. Every other season he's been below average to bad. He's not an impact right fielder being a bad fielder and having no power.

Adam Eaton hasn't been an average or above Major League player since 2016. It's amazing how anyone can paint this positively.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it does, the reason why we like a guy like springer is we think the truly overwhelming offense at that point is so strong that it can carry forward a more balanced approach across the roster. 

I don't know how that compares to my household unless you are trying to measure your absolute happiness or something. 

But we've seen a lot of "spread the money around" offseasons where the affordable guys were affordable because they were about to fall off a cliff due to age. And that is the question, are we actually adding quality depth or just giving ourselves flexibility to add the next round of budget guys next year?

I get why everyone likes Springer.  It was fun to dream on.  He wasn't my number 1, that was Bauer, I'm a pitching first guy.  But again, just a dream.  We live in White Sox land. 

You know why Jerry Reinsdorf owns the White Sox?  Because he loves baseball.  The Sox are his hobby.  Just like playing guitar is mine.  He's said as much.  He has also said he isn't running the team to make money or lose money.  Now, I think we all know Jerry is a better businessman that that and that he has made absolute gobs of money from the appreciation of the team alone.  But to think that the Sox were going to act our of character, especially in a year like this, was nothing more than a dream.  It sucks.  Eaton isn't the guy I would have signed.  Hell, if I had my way, it would have been Bauer, Hendriks, McCann and another pitcher (Lynn is perfect).  And I would have rolled into 2021 with Engel and Leury in right.  

But I also don't know that Eaton is done.  He was pretty darn useful in 2019.  Last year he was terrible.  Was that decline or an anomaly due to the weirdness of the season?  I have no idea.  There were a lot of usually good players that were terrible this year.  

I wish the Sox would put on their big boy pants and act like they are in Chicago.  But I've seen enough to know they won't.  We get Adam Eaton and hope he still has gas in the tank.  But you know what, if this gets Hendriks and another SP on the roster, I'm ok with it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Agree. Well said.

The team option is what I like.  Take away all the upside away from Eaton and yet he still has to bet on himself and work hard to try and get one more deal.  People should probably realize the Sox are going to be a stars and scrubs lineup unless JR just goes completely ham on payroll, which isn't happening.  Finding some guys like Eaton that will be just average regulars will be important.  The Sox aren't going to start operating like the Dodgers or Yankees.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The team option is what I like.  Take away all the upside away from Eaton and yet he still has to bet on himself and work hard to try and get one more deal.  People should probably realize the Sox are going to be a stars and scrubs lineup unless JR just goes completely ham on payroll, which isn't happening.  Finding some guys like Eaton that will be just average regulars will be important.  The Sox aren't going to start operating like the Dodgers or Yankees.

Oh look, this narrative again. No one is asking for them to operate like the Dodgers or Yankees; how about the other 26 teams in the history of league who have signed 100+ million contracts?

My goodness; everyone plays in that range in baseball but for five teams. The Sox have no business being one of those five but they are. No one is asking them to operate like the Dodgers; we're asking them to stop operating like the Oakland Athletics.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Agreed.  Hahn is working with what he has. The money this off-season appears to be going to a closer.

8 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I get why everyone likes Springer.  It was fun to dream on.  He wasn't my number 1, that was Bauer, I'm a pitching first guy.  But again, just a dream.  We live in White Sox land. 

You know why Jerry Reinsdorf owns the White Sox?  Because he loves baseball.  The Sox are his hobby.  Just like playing guitar is mine.  He's said as much.  He has also said he isn't running the team to make money or lose money.  Now, I think we all know Jerry is a better businessman that that and that he has made absolute gobs of money from the appreciation of the team alone.  But to think that the Sox were going to act our of character, especially in a year like this, was nothing more than a dream.  It sucks.  Eaton isn't the guy I would have signed.  Hell, if I had my way, it would have been Bauer, Hendriks, McCann and another pitcher (Lynn is perfect).  And I would have rolled into 2021 with Engel and Leury in right.  

But I also don't know that Eaton is done.  He was pretty darn useful in 2019.  Last year he was terrible.  Was that decline or an anomaly due to the weirdness of the season?  I have no idea.  There were a lot of usually good players that were terrible this year.  

I wish the Sox would put on their big boy pants and act like they are in Chicago.  But I've seen enough to know they won't.  We get Adam Eaton and hope he still has gas in the tank.  But you know what, if this gets Hendriks and another SP on the roster, I'm ok with it.  

That's fine but all we are advocating is if you gave us a $140 million dollar budget, let us use the $140 budget in anyway we see fit. I can make a $140 mill budget work. It's "you get $140 million, and don't set the market on any player".

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

Yea the Sheeran deal with Lowden clouds the greatness of the brand. Lowden is absolutely stunning. Better than Martin and Taylor.

Check this out:

https://pegheadnation.com/instruments-gear/instrument-demos/lowden-thomas-leeb-signature-model/

Wow.  Absolutely beautiful guitar.  The walnut back is amazing.  Sounds fantastic.  Great, now I have something else on my list.  Thanks a lot jerk.  Hahah!

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Wow.  Absolutely beautiful guitar.  The walnut back is amazing.  Sounds fantastic.  Great, now I have something else on my list.  Thanks a lot jerk.  Hahah!

That guy is my neighbor and a great friend - if your serious, he may have one of his from the personal stash one day that he would be willing to sell.

He sold me a $3,000 Lowden a decade ago for $1,500.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

That's fine but all we are advocating is if you gave us a $140 million dollar budget, let us use the $140 budget in anyway we see fit. I can make a $140 mill budget work. It's "you get $140 million, and don't set the market on any player".

I get it.  I'm just hoping that they have prioritized pitching, and still add a pitcher or two.

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

That guy is my neighbor and a great friend - if your serious, he may have one of his from the personal stash one day that he would be willing to sell.

He sold me a $3,000 Lowden a decade ago for $1,500.

Wow what?  That's crazy.  I'll look into the feasibility and let you know.  Awesome, can't thank you enough.

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

Wow what?  That's crazy.  I'll look into the feasibility and let you know.  Awesome, can't thank you enough.

I think his signature model retals for something like 7k 😆 and I don’t know for sure if he even has anything is his personal stash that he’s getting rid of... but it happens from time to time so if he ever brings it up again I’m sure you’ll come to mind.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When you say consistent, you mean bad right?

Since 2015, he's had one season where he's graded out + defensively. Every other season he's been below average to bad. He's not an impact right fielder being a bad fielder and having no power.

I'd say outside of his few really solid defensive years, Eaton pretty much grades-out as an average RF depending on what metrics you're looking at. I don't think I've seen "bad" but by no means is he setting the world on fire. I wouldn't say he has no power but he's not Joc in that category. No question about that.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

What do you think the odds of Eaton playing 150 games is?  He did it 3 of 7 full seasons in his career, and was only at 41 of 60 last year, so it would be 3 of 8.

Due to the possibility of Engel starting against lefties, the 150 number is probably unlikely.

But if you're just asking about staying healthy in general for the full season with at most one 10-day stint on the injured list, I'd give it about a 75% chance. But I'm admittedly more optimistic when it comes to injuries, especially in baseball for non-pitchers. 

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Oh look, this narrative again. No one is asking for them to operate like the Dodgers or Yankees; how about the other 26 teams in the history of league who have signed 100+ million contracts?

My goodness; everyone plays in that range in baseball but for five teams. The Sox have no business being one of those five but they are. No one is asking them to operate like the Dodgers; we're asking them to stop operating like the Oakland Athletics.

I think his take had more to with not expecting anything new from JR and less to do with people expecting the Dodgers/Yankees. People go to that extreme because when you think of spending money, you think of those teams, who also happen to have a completely different view than JR where spending is concerned. I wouldn't take it too literally to the point where he's saying that's what people expect. With JR, don't expect the unexpected.

That said, I 100% agree with you. JR is in a large market and operates like a small market team, without the perks of actually being a small market team. It's a joke and I look forward to when he sells the team. 

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Due to the possibility of Engel starting against lefties, the 150 number is probably unlikely.

But if you're just asking about staying healthy in general for the full season with at most one 10-day stint on the injured list, I'd give it about a 75% chance. But I'm admittedly more optimistic when it comes to injuries, especially in baseball for non-pitchers. 

Next year could be interesting regarding injuries in sports especially baseball and basketball and to a lesser degree hockey.  I think some number of players will not be in as good of shape as they would have if they played a full season with training camp last year. Losing a complete minor league season could also be a factor for some players especially w pitching.