Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

Jackie Bradley Jr. was my preferred option, because he would enhance the OF defense and be able to adequately cover Robert for off days or an extended injury. Joc Peterson would have been my second choice, as he is healthy and would perform well in the Sox' ballpark.

The reasons I don't like Eaton beyond any toxicity he may or may not bring back is the fact he is declining in performance, is injured more than Eloy Jimenez and is a minus in the OF, and is really a platoon at best solution. If the White Sox bring another quality OF and Eaton is a fourth OF or platoon, and he isn't a DBag, than it's fine, but there are just too many ?s and drawbacks this early in the FA market. If they talked to Bradley Jr. and he wasn't interested or is pursuing something with Boston, then at least they tried.

Will wait until the end of the off-season to evaluate the 26 man roster but the signings/transactions so far have been positive post LaRussa with this possible exception. If they sign Hendricks or Colome, and perhaps Quintana or Richards, and one more hitter who owns and can use a glove and play OF better than Eloy, than it would be a great off-season, IMO.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

21 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Due to the possibility of Engel starting against lefties, the 150 number is probably unlikely.

But if you're just asking about staying healthy in general for the full season with at most one 10-day stint on the injured list, I'd give it about a 75% chance. But I'm admittedly more optimistic when it comes to injuries, especially in baseball for non-pitchers. 

How do you justify saying that a guy who has played 2/3 of a season or less 5 times in his 8 seasons has a 75% chance of staying healthy the full year? I’d have said 50/50 is optimistic based on his career.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How do you justify saying that a guy who has played 2/3 of a season or less 5 times in his 8 seasons has a 75% chance of staying healthy the full year? I’d have said 50/50 is optimistic based on his career.

The 75% is probably a bit high, but I'm just optimistic. I don't expect weird knee, ankle, or finger injuries to occur.

Guys who are inured often with hamstring/groin type of injuries scare me a lot more than a guy like Eaton.

1 hour ago, Soxsi75 said:

Which makes the White Sox cheap and I'm sorry to have to say, they don't care enough about winning. Because I agree with you, Joc is a better bet. And we shouldn't have to worry about a "budget" when we've been rebuilding like we have and saving money. Now it's time to spend it since we now have a chance to win. Not spending it saying he doesn't care about winning. 

I think most if not all owners care about winning. But they are all business owners who also care about making money.  So the World Series opponents, the Dodgers and Rays spent  $196 and $60 Million.  The Yankees and Dodgers have spent boatloads but both have had long droughts between World Series titles.   Boston also spent a ton, won a couple of World Series and then cut the budget.  Every team has their approach as to how they spend and we have seen big spenders and "cheap" owners have mixed results. 

14 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I think most if not all owners care about winning. But they are all business owners who also care about making money.  So the World Series opponents, the Dodgers and Rays spent  $196 and $60 Million.  The Yankees and Dodgers have spent boatloads but both have had long droughts between World Series titles.   Boston also spent a ton, won a couple of World Series and then cut the budget.  Every team has their approach as to how they spend and we have seen big spenders and "cheap" owners have mixed results. 

What you're saying is true and I understand this. However, I admit I'm looking at it from the standpoint as a fan. Meaning, I simply care about the White Sox winning. I don't give a G*& Da&* about their "bottom line." It also isn't just about throwing money around. I realize that. But look at the position we are in and have been in. We were rebuilding and cut costs then. Now we've put together a team that is capable of winning now and if he picks this moment to "half ass it" by going cheap, after we already have been cutting costs, then yes feeling this way does show he doesn't care enough about winning.  It's true that the Yankees have had a long drought between World Series titles. But by continuing to spend they're always in contention. Do you see the Yankees ever going 69-93 again with this salary structure?

I keep coming back to this Eaton move and wondering why the hell did we do sign Adam Eaton.

He's getting older, more injured, worse of a player, not as capable of a defender. I get the idea that prime adam eaton is precisely perfect for this team make up, but this is garbage eaton. 

Soooooo many other options out there and we jump the gun with Eaton. Just very odd.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I keep coming back to this Eaton move and wondering why the hell did we do sign Adam Eaton.

He's getting older, more injured, worse of a player, not as capable of a defender. I get the idea that prime adam eaton is precisely perfect for this team make up, but this is garbage eaton. 

Soooooo many other options out there and we jump the gun with Eaton. Just very odd.

Because they only had $7 million to spend on a RF because Ray Ray cancelled his season tickets because they hired LaRussa and LaRussa is a drunk, and Eaton is an asshole who sucks. So blame Ray Ray.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

What you're saying is true and I understand this. However, I admit I'm looking at it from the standpoint as a fan. Meaning, I simply care about the White Sox winning. I don't give a G*& Da&* about their "bottom line." It also isn't just about throwing money around. I realize that. But look at the position we are in and have been in. We were rebuilding and cut costs then. Now we've put together a team that is capable of winning now and if he picks this moment to "half ass it" by going cheap, after we already have been cutting costs, then yes feeling this way does show he doesn't care enough about winning.  It's true that the Yankees have had a long drought between World Series titles. But by continuing to spend they're always in contention. Do you see the Yankees ever going 69-93 again with this salary structure?

No but we saw Boston not make the playoffs in 2019 and spent $225 Million.  They then proceeded to cut payroll for 2020

35 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

I find it particularly ironic that the 2012 Red Sox had the 3rd highest payroll in MLB, $173 million (2nd highest opening day payroll/shed salary midseason), and managed to go exactly 69-93 in no small part because of how terrible their choice of manager was. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I find it particularly ironic that the 2012 Red Sox had the 3rd highest payroll in MLB, $173 million (2nd highest opening day payroll/shed salary midseason), and managed to go exactly 69-93 in no small part because of how terrible their choice of manager was. 

That Red Sox team was 43-43 after 86 games. The pitching was pure garbage and the lineup wasn't all that either. What a waste of money. 

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Because they only had $7 million to spend on a RF because Ray Ray cancelled his season tickets because they hired LaRussa and LaRussa is a drunk, and Eaton is an asshole who sucks. So blame Ray Ray.

Hey hey, don't forget about SS2K boycotting his mortgage with guaranteed rate who then directly charged the White Sox for the lost revenue. We're in this together.

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Didn’t people say similar things about Abreu before last year? He was getting older, not as good offensively, and becoming worse as a defender. And he’s two years older than Eaton. 

I’m not saying that as proof that Eaton will be good. I just think it’s very possible he has a solid season. Being surrounded by a good offense and a team that’s winning tends to bring the best out in a player, especially for a guy like with a winner’s mentality like Eaton. 

50 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hey hey, don't forget about SS2K boycotting his mortgage with guaranteed rate who then directly charged the White Sox for the lost revenue. We're in this together.

I bought a Sam Adams winter 12 pack instead of Goose Island last purchase because Goose advertises with the White Sox, so there’s more.

39 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Didn’t people say similar things about Abreu before last year? He was getting older, not as good offensively, and becoming worse as a defender. And he’s two years older than Eaton. 

I’m not saying that as proof that Eaton will be good. I just think it’s very possible he has a solid season. Being surrounded by a good offense and a team that’s winning tends to bring the best out in a player, especially for a guy like with a winner’s mentality like Eaton. 

You are really comparing apples/oranges there. 

Abreu at 1b/dh vs. Eaton at corner outfield. Abreu's speed/defense hardly matters and his handedness didn't matter. Also, even with decline you'd expect a league competent 1b out of Abreu. Eaton could be detrimental to the team on a level worse than Mazaraa... and we had 10's of other OF options available to us at cheap.

I just hope the plan is Eaton as a 4th OF... and we bring in a better OF. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

You are really comparing apples/oranges there. 

Abreu at 1b/dh vs. Eaton at corner outfield. Abreu's speed/defense hardly matters and his handedness didn't matter. Also, even with decline you'd expect a league competent 1b out of Abreu. Eaton could be detrimental to the team on a level worse than Mazaraa... and we had 10's of other OF options available to us at cheap.

I just hope the plan is Eaton as a 4th OF... and we bring in a better OF. 

They didn't spend 7m on a 4th OF when Engel is there...

23 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I bought a Sam Adams winter 12 pack instead of Goose Island last purchase because Goose advertises with the White Sox, so there’s more.

If you were truly serious about the boycott, you would have joined me in becoming a Cubs fan - when I was considering it.