Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

16 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If Renteria slotted Eaton second on a regular basis, this board, Steve Stone and Ozzie Guillen would go apeshit, but  when LaRussa does it it will be mostly crickets / shout down those who question the decision.

Eloy, Abreu, Anderson, Moncada, Robert and Grandal should always occupy the top six slots in the batting order when playing.

Remember last offseason when the majority here said Abreu had no business hitting 3rd, and they were worried that Renteria would keep him there all year?

Point being, if Eaton is hitting .300 with a .375 OBP, then TLR can put him at the top of the lineup for all I care. If he struggles a bit, then TLR will slide him down to the 8 or 9 spot. 

I don’t think anybody needs to worry about lineup construction at this point. Guys will be slotted based on how they’re hitting. 

27 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Remember last offseason when the majority here said Abreu had no business hitting 3rd, and they were worried that Renteria would keep him there all year?

Point being, if Eaton is hitting .300 with a .375 OBP, then TLR can put him at the top of the lineup for all I care. If he struggles a bit, then TLR will slide him down to the 8 or 9 spot. 

I don’t think anybody needs to worry about lineup construction at this point. Guys will be slotted based on how they’re hitting. 

Agreed...this isn't Tony's first rodeo.  He does know how to fill out the lineup card.

Tim Anderson and Jose Abreu are the leaders on this team. Keuchel should STFU. Starting pitchers aren't in 80% of the games and they don't stay in for more than 5-6 innings most of the other 20% so everyday players probably don't want them commenting on player performance or motivation.  Plus Keuchel knew his Astro teammates were cheating and said nothing.

I would trade Keuchel for another no. 3 starter so fast...

Edited by tray
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, tray said:

Tim Anderson and Jose Abreu are the leaders on this team. Keuchel should STFU. Starting pitchers aren't in 80% of the games and they don't stay in for more than 5-6 innings most of the other 20% so everyday players probably don't want them commenting on player performance or motivation.  Plus Keuchel knew his Astro teammates were cheating and said nothing.

So you’re mad at Keuchel for not snitching out his teammates, but are totally cool with Plesac lying to his teammates and exposing them (one who is immune compromised) to a deadly virus?  You have some seriously fucked up morals bro.

11 minutes ago, tray said:

Anybody who thinks a player should have spoken up mid season has no sense of reality. It was hard enough for ONE player to speak up after the fact. Nobody is ratting out their teammates in the middle of a championship run, and staying quiet doesn’t make them in the wrong. 

• Thanks 2

Eaton’s injury prone rep is a little overblown. His 2017 injury was slipping on a wet base, and his 2018 injury was a surgery to clean a flap in his ankle which appears to have happened on the same play. You then look at his 2019 season. Compare his 2019 numbers to his numbers his last 2 seasons with the White Sox, they are almost identical. Defensively he has slid a bit. Maybe coming back and exclusively playing RF will get him back a bit. He does play hard, and is basically playing for his career.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Eaton’s injury prone rep is a little overblown. His 2017 injury was slipping on a wet base, and his 2018 injury was a surgery to clean a flap in his ankle which appears to have happened on the same play. You then look at his 2019 season. Compare his 2019 numbers to his numbers his last 2 seasons with the White Sox, they are almost identical. Defensively he has slid a bit. Maybe coming back and exclusively playing RF will get him back a bit. He does play hard, and is basically playing for his career.

Except he also had the injury prone label when coming to the White Sox and we were surprised at the time that he stayed moderately healthy for 3 years. The fact that he was banged up and played fewer than 100 games in 2013 is one reason why the DBacks were willing to move him at the time (the other was his personality issues).

14 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I bet he goes to 33, McCanns old number. I think 13 is unofficially retired.

Yea, gotta be 33 then... 31 is a very strong likely number for him too if it is available. That actually would be my bet.

Edited by hi8is

25 minutes ago, flavum said:

Yes

Lynn has worn 31 for a couple teams, so maybe good call for 33 on Madrigal, but I think Lynn will take 31...kinda looks like Lamarr Hoyt too.

I was thinking we’ll finally see what a 34 year old Hoyt would’ve looked like if he hadn’t tanked out on coke