Sox sign Adam Eaton 1 year, $7m plus option

Greek-konerko

16 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Let's talk about how not paying Eaton a ton might help free up money for other things.

1. Closer is now the most important hole the Sox need to fill. I hope/expect it will be to re-up Colome for 2 years. He won't cost a fortune.

2. Giolito needs extending. This may not cost much of anything in the short run, but the more money the Sox save now, the more likely they are to extend Giolito.

3. Lance Lynn should be extended for a couple years, to match the years Keuchel is here. 

4. What about James McCann?  I wonder if he's completely out of the running. It's likely he is, but he would fill more than a backup catcher role. He would be a good DH straddle with Grandal/Abreu until Vaughn is ready. 

5. Another starting pitcher? I don't really want the Sox to sign someone like Quintana, because it's just likely to delay Kopech from taking his role in the rotation. But the Sox may need more depth if behind Giolito, Keuchel, and Lynn they have only Cease, Kopech, and Lopez. They have more minor league guys on the come, but will they be ready in 2021? 

When you have the core the White Sox have, it's okay to put role players around them. 

Eaton may be a jerk, but he's a highly competitive jerk who wants to win and helped the Nats win a World Series in 2019. He also knows how to work a count and draw a walk, which is a skill that more Sox hitters should learn. 

I wonder if they will just add Schwarber for 1 year now at DH since they still need LH power and keep Vaughn in the minors till August or until there is an injury. 

Joc is solely a platoon player.  Eaton is now a platoon with Engle which is fine and when Eaton/Engle have to play LF when Jimenez is hurt he is serviceable while Joc would be exposed.

Let's also see what and where Joc signs for.  Eaton only needs to play about 100 games and be league average which I think he is.

People are here clamoring for Joc while he is the equivalent of Eaton and probably cost more for more years.

The clubhouse stuff is way blown out of proportion and rivaled only by the mantra that TLR is the grandfather from the Simpsons.   Somehow Washington won a world series with Eaton so he was unable to decimate the clubhouse. 

This is a meh signing but I think he is better than Mazara and a new DH that continues to make the lineup pretty stacked.  

I like his OBP better than Joc's and think overall he is a better player.

• Like 2

So, lemme see:

1. An asshole,

2. Declining offensively,

3. Declining defensively,

4. Now a Below average fielder, according to DRS AND UZR,

5. A light duty commando/DL warrior,

6. But cheap/slightly cheaper than better options. 

So, in sum, a typical "White Sox Move."

Add in the giving away of 6 years for a geezing geezer rental at SP makes this a very "White Sox Offseason," right?

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Initial thought was in the 2 hole. High contact and OBP seems like a good fit there.

1. Anderson R

2. Eaton L

3. Abreu R

4. Jimenez R

5. Moncada S

6. Robert R

7. Grandal S

8. Vaughn R (whoever ends up at DH)

9. Madrigal R

I'll eat my shoe if Eaton hits 2 while YoYo & Yaz hit 5 & 7.  

6 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

So where does he project in the lineup?  It could set up a nice L-R combination at 8-9 with him and Madrigal getting on base at high percentages, not only turning over the lineup but putting people on for Anderson and the rest.

1 Anderson R

2 Moncada S

3 Abreu R

4 Jimenez R

5 Schwarber L (DH)

6 Robert R

7 Grandal S

8 Eaton L

9 Madrigal R

8 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

So where does he project in the lineup?  It could set up a nice L-R combination at 8-9 with him and Madrigal getting on base at high percentages, not only turning over the lineup but putting people on for Anderson and the rest.

1. Anderson SS R

2. Moncada 3B S

3. Abreu 1B R

4. Jimenez LF R

5. Grandal C S

6. Robert CF R

7. Vaughn DH (unless they sign someone else unless Brantley. If Brantley, put him higher and bump everyone down a spot)

8. Eaton RF L

9. Madrigal 2B R

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Joc is solely a platoon player.  Eaton is now a platoon with Engle which is fine and when Eaton/Engle have to play LF when Jimenez is hurt he is serviceable while Joc would be exposed.

Let's also see what and where Joc signs for.  Eaton only needs to play about 100 games and be league average which I think he is.

People are here clamoring for Joc while he is the equivalent of Eaton and probably cost more for more years.

The clubhouse stuff is way blown out of proportion and rivaled only by the mantra that TLR is the grandfather from the Simpsons.   Somehow Washington won a world series with Eaton so he was unable to decimate the clubhouse. 

This is a meh signing but I think he is better than Mazara and a new DH that continues to make the lineup pretty stacked.  

I like his OBP better than Joc's and think overall he is a better player.

absolutely silly.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

The line up is pretty clear:

1 - SS Anderson

2 - 3B Moncada

3 - 1B/DH Abreu

4 - LF Eloy

5 - C Grandal

6 - CF Robert

7 - DH/1B Vaughn/Potential Addition

8 - RF Eaton/Engel

9 - 2B - Madrigal

What do you think of the signing

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

20 minutes ago, mqr said:

Throw out 2020 and they're mostly fine. This just sucks and I hate him. 

I can see this possibly being one of those moves that surprises people in the end when he does well during the season. I liked what I saw out of Engel last year so I agree, I think we will be fine. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

I just listened to the end of the call... holy crap we're making something out of nothing.

You expected anything different from Soxtalk.

This team will be lucky to win 60 games next year.

Dunning is the next Shane Bieber and Joc Pedersen is the greatest platoon player to ever paly the game. 

1 year $7M has turned the White Sox fanbase upside down. 

Just now, fathom said:

you really think Rojas is an option

They've done their due diligence. He fits the roster as constructed. Just my opinion and would love to be wrong but people are crazy if they think the Sox are going to get Cruz or Brantley to be the DH. 

• Like 1